2011 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've identified seven of this years top eight teams should return to finals footy next year. Natural improvement in team such as Melbourne, Adelaide and North Melbourne should make the race for the final spot hinge on the results of the last round of the home and away season. Geelong and the Bulldogs could be the big sliders next season, but should still be good enough to make finals.

Draft concessions to the Gold Coast robs teams that struggled this year may also suffer last year. Brisbane will suffer from this the most given their ladder position and personnel leaving the club. Rule changes (specifically changes to the interchange) could also force some teams (Collingwood especially) to alter their game plans.

I've gone for grouping teams together by similar ability as opposed to a top eight, then ranked each team that (I think) would be positioned higher in each group.

1) Collingwood - Best drilled team in the competition, interchange rule may have a negating impact (wait and see...)
2) St. Kilda - The hunger to win a premiership will still be alive, but a slide (ala Pies 2004) is also possible
-----
3) Sydney - Sydney will fly under the radar next season, has a good even spread of quality players
4) Fremantle - Should back up for another solid year, should finish top 4 next year
5) Geelong - Losing your coach and best player is not ideal; needs to bring in some leg speed in the midfield
6) Hawthorn - High ladder position is dependent on not having such an awful start to the season
7) Western Bulldogs - List needs a cleanout but have some quality kids in the team to still make finals
-----
8) Melbourne - This team looks scary, already looking forward to future Queens Birthday blockbusters
9) Carlton - Very good on their day, but I cannot see any improvement in the list; may even battle to make finals
10) North Melbourne - Very good kids in the team and capable of making finals, but the list is starting to get a bit old
11) Adelaide - Like Hawthorn, had an awful start to the season but then improved; like North is capable of making finals
-----
12) Richmond - A young team coached by one of the better communicators in the game, will improve in time
13) Essendon - Hird is taking a massive gamble with his reputation; I suspect he'll have more success than Voss
14) Gold Coast - Will take more than a year to gel this outfit into a competitive team; Ablett helps though
15) West Coast - I cannot see any potential improvement in the list; but won't win the wooden spoon
16) Port Adelaide - See West Coast...
-----
17) Brisbane - Compromised drafts for the next couple of years will condemn it to a wooden spoon (what was Voss thinking)

Craaaaaazy mate. Collingwood are not going to end up 6th, bulldogs are not going to finish 1st. I only put the crows in there because we played you twice and you only watched 1/8 of those games. I guess you didn't have a chance to watch much football this year which explains your choices.

As much as his choices are unlikely, you can never say never in football. How many people predicted Hawthorn to miss finals in 09? or Freo to be top of the table halfway through this year? Or Adelaide to fail this year?

Look through last year's predictions and I think you'll see a lot of people saying Adelaide and Hawthorn both top 4... unlucky.

Not having a go, cause I understand it, but I actually am surprised at the lack of knowledge of West Coast in some of these predictions.

I understand it though, there's plenty of teams I just do not give a shit about and thus have no idea where they'll end up, like North.

1. Bulldogs - Perfect blend of quality youth and experience. NOT BIASED don't question this.
2. Fremantle - A little bit old, but should be good enough.
3. Melbourne - Will find out this year if they need a mini-rebuild if not successful this year.
4. Carlton - Midfield should get its act together while having solid defense and attack.
5. Geelong. - Young side who should be up there.
6. Collingwood - Might be time for a complete clean out, but it's a 'wait and see' scenario with this mob.
7. Gold Coast - Yeah dunno.
8. Port Adelaide - I watched a half of one of their games with year, Tredrea to star.
9. Richmond
10. Sydney - It's been a while since I have seen them play, but from what I hear, my expert opinion thinks that without Troy Luff, they might struggle.
11. Essendon - James Hird pulling on the boots again is not enough.
12. Adelaide - Watched one quarter of them for the whole year and was not convinced ONE IOTA.
13. West Coast - Dunno
14. St. Kilda - Their massive choke this year will obliterate their spirit.
15. Brisbane - Wowweeeeeee.
16. North - TOO OLD

.... who is this guy???

lol, love for this to happen (especially north since brad scott's ungracious comments)

but c'mon

1. Collingwood - champion team, expect Thomas, Sidebottom to be pushing A grade status
2. Saints - will only happen if their bottom 4-5 are weeded out, but still premiership quality
3. Hawks - Great team at their best, with a good start to the season who knows what could happen, my smokey for the premiership as they have a list capable of winning it
4. Geelong - Start of a decline, but very much the danger team of the finals next year
5. Freo - Could sneak into the top 4 at Geelongs expense, hope to god that Sandi gets through the season uninjured
6. Carlton - Slow improvement with Henderson maturing, could hit top 4 if Gibbs, Murphy and Judd (will do anyway) fire together for the season
7. Sydney - Interesting to see how a change in leadership will affect them with Kirk gone, hopefully he takes on a coaching role, still a danger team, Goodes crucial to finals success
8. Bulldogs - IMO Will slide next year, but in 2012 expect them to be in top 4 contention due to a lot of young talent (Callan Ward especially)

-----

9. North Melbourne - Could push into finals, too reliant on older players for my liking, but a good young list and work well as a team
10. Melbourne - Another year outside the 8, continued development of youngsters to see who will cut it for a top 4 assault in the near future (hopefully)
11. Adelaide - youth to develop, but losing such experience will hurt them initially i think, expect a strong finish to the season, and maybe finals (better chance than melbourne IMO)
12. Richmond - rising, but give it until 2012 for finals contention
13. Essendon - Hird factor interesting, list needs significant work, expect 2-3 years before Hird gets the list he wants
14. West Coast - will improve, but need to get rid of dead weight and draft well
15. Port - could finish anywhere from 8-15 IMO, hard to tell due to their inconsistancy this year, can play a ripper game
16. Gold Coast - depends on signings, will struggle to gel initially but could rise significantly
17. terrible time to bottom out and with losing significant players, they are in trouble.... thats right .. BRISBANE

Premiers - Hawks/Collingwood

how you can seriously think richmond will finish higher than melbourne is beyond me...

:rolleyes:

We may not beat Meltank on the ladder, but I have a strong belief that you will finish bottom 4.

2012 will be your year for finals, but 2011 will be a step back.

AFL is very unpredictable, anything can happen. Teams with huge potential can fall while others can rise from the bottom in a matter of months.

This is my Ladder prediction:

I think the premiership will come from this group
1.Fremantle
2.St.Kilda
3.Collingwood
---------------
In contention for top 4 and the Dark Horses
4.Adelaide
5.Hawthorn
6.Geelong
---------------
These teams will round of the 8
7.Western Bulldogs
8.Sydney
9.Melbourne
10.Carlton
---------------
Not ready for finals
11.North Melbourne
12.Gold Coast
13.Essendon
14.Port Adelaide
15.West Coast
---------------
Safe to say they will be in the bottom 5
16.Brisbane
17.Richmond

Premership: Fremantle - St.Kilda

Like that ladder Barlow#14. I personally would have Richmond a bit higher and Fremantle a bit lower though.

Lots of posts saying Crows have lost too much experience in one hit, interesting.
Adelaide's senior players are listed below and ages as of the start of next season.

Michael Doughty 31
Scott Stevens 29
Graham Johncock 28
Scott Thompson 27
Ben Rutten 27
Brent Reilly 26
Brad Symes 26
Bernie Vince 25

With a heap of players in the 24-25 age group, and amongst them a heap of talent. Am confident that that group will become a force fairly quickly. The loss of our older players was probably a season or two later than it should have been. They were ready to retire and our next brigade have been ready for some time to take over their mantle. Collingwood showed what can be done with a young group, I don't see our mob as much different, with the exception of crap pre-season and huge injury list in 2010 which stuffed us mentally early. Hopefully our 2011 fortunes will favour us this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Collingwood - Tough to see anyone else.
2. Fremantle - A lot of talent.
3. St Kilda - Collingwood rival will continue.
4. Hawthorn - Flag from fourth.
5. Geelong
6. Sydney
7. Western Bulldogs - Had their chance. Goodbye.
8. North Melbourne

9. Carlton - Going nowhere.
10. Adelaide
11. Melbourne - Finals in 2012.
12. Port Adelaide
13. Richmond - Jack to kick a ton.
14. Gold Coast - Buy enough to stay off bottom.
15. Essendon - List bigger problem than coach.
16. Brisbane Lions - Disaster zone.
17. West Coast - Negative points.

1. Collingwood
2. Hawthorn
3. Fremantle
4. West Coast :eek::p
5. Carlton
6. St.Kilda
7. Adelaide
8. Gold Coast
9. Sydney
10. Geelong
11. Bulldogs
12. Melbourne
13. North Melbourne
14. Port Adelaide
15. Richmond
16. Brisbane
17. Essendon

I think port or essendon will finish eighth while north or Melbourne won't live up to the expectations of some of there supporters and finish around 12th. I'm not feeling all this Richmond love will finish bottom four again.

Collingwood
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Geelong

Adelaide
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs
Sydney

Melbourne
North Melbourne
Carlton
Richmond
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
Essendon
Brisbane
West Coast

Collingwood
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Geelong
Carlton
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle
North Melbourne

Melbourne
Sydney
Gold Coast
West Coast
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Essendon
Richmond
Brisbane

Mainly doing this so i can check back in a year and see how i went.

Bulldogs
Collingwood
Sydney
St Kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne

Adelaide
Geelong
Richmond
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Carlton
West Coast
Essendon
Gold Coast

1. Collingwood - Think it's custom to have the premiers atop next year's ladder. However, it is hard to see anyone catching up to a side that is still improving.
2. Fremantle - If they get M. Clark, I'd be seriously looking at them for the flag. Never thought I'd say that...
3. Hawthorn - A solid preseason behind them should see the Hawks reaching their best in games more consistently.
4. Geelong - Rumours of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.
5. Carlton - Possibly a bit of bias here. But there are a lot of players in our side (which is still quite young), with a large scope for improvement. This, plus a preseason together should help them gel. As long as we don't pick up half the spuds we've been linked to this trade week, we'll be alright next year (Gotta have belief!)
6. St Kilda - I feel like they might be the surprise packet to fall away a bit next year. Although, it could easily be last Saturday leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
7. Adelaide - I don't think they truly deserved their ladder position this year. As long as players like Otten, Knights, Vince etc. are fit, they'll be back.
8. Melbourne - Have a lot more than just Scully/Trengove going for them. I think next year will be the year of Grimes/Morton/Watts (Yes, Watts) to come on nicely, and leave them playing finals for the first time in a while.

9. Sydney - Quite possibly under my radar as an interstate side. No reason for them missing my eight, simply pushed out by one of the teams I have making their way in. Although, a new coach may bring about a bit of a teething period.
10. North Melbourne - A young side, will still be inconsistent next year, but will be a powerhouse in years to come. Hopefully they can win a flag (as long as it isn't against the Blues) before GC and GWS hit their strides.
11. Western Bulldogs - While they've been up there some time, I just can't see it next year.
12. Richmond - Really look to be building a positive unit, as much as it pains me to say. I don't expect Martin to suffer from second year blues, and Cotchin should come on a little more also.
13. Gold Coast - Watch these boys click in the second half of the year. With 28,000 first rounders on the field, with tremendous talent, they can't all be watched. Plus, the great man will make his presence felt too, I'm sure.
14. Port Adelaide - I'll admit, I haven't seen enough of this side to make a comment. So I guess that means I have positive thoughts about 13 of the clubs ... and then there's
15. West Coast - Simply not as bad as...
16. Essendon - I can't see the hype around Hird. Great player, even great footy mind may not equal a great coach. I can see Hirdy starting slowly. And he doesn't exactly have the best list to deal with. Could also be heavy anti-Essendon bias.
17. Brisbane - Pains me to see the powerhouse of when I really started to get into football in this state. Big call, but I see this side next year being the worst since Carlton's dark days (don't remind me...)

1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Geelong
4. Adelaide
5. Hawthorn
6. Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Melbourne
9. North Melbourne
10. Sydney
11. Port Adelaide
12. Carlton
13. Essendon
14. Richmond
15. West Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast

Don't get your hopes up freo supporters, your club only does well when everyone thinks you will finish bottom 4 :p

This is my Ladder prediction:

I think the premiership will come from this group
1.Fremantle
2.St.Kilda
3.Collingwood
---------------
In contention for top 4 and the Dark Horses
4.Adelaide
5.Hawthorn
6.Geelong
---------------
These teams will round of the 8
7.Western Bulldogs
8.Sydney
9.Melbourne
10.Carlton
---------------
Not ready for finals
11.North Melbourne
12.Gold Coast
13.Essendon
14.Port Adelaide
15.West Coast
---------------
Safe to say they will be in the bottom 5
16.Brisbane
17.Richmond

Premership: Fremantle - St.Kilda

I like this one. Probably the most logical approach. Could change the order within each section but I wouldn't expect to see too many changes from one section to another.

Dogs might be the surprise rise if recruiting goes well.

Yeah true Docker Champ29 i don't think Richmond will finish bottom 2 but i cant see them getting out of the bottom 5. Fremantle reminds me a lot like Hawthorn 07 young team rising quickly to top 4 contention then fading out of the top 4, beating a heavily touted opponent first final. so 2011 could be you 08.

Thanks Tony T, i agree with the dogs they were had to pick, but every year i try to pick a big slider last year i picked Brisbane to miss the 8 this year i pick bulldogs to miss the 4 comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back