2012 Match attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrespective of the weather and the opponent, that was a shit crowd. I'm sure someone will try and justify it by comparing it to other shit Sydney sporting crowds, but that's no excuse.

Agreed that is a horrible crowd, funny that Swans have a dig at North's crowds.
13k is much worse than any we have had in the last 10 years.

How many times in the last 10 years have North played a game in a stadium being renovated in heavy rain against a low drawing, interstate team?
Footy used to be non-stop action, thrills and spills.

No, it didn't.

Final Round 10 Crowds

St Kilda v Richmond (Docklands) - 49,337
Geelong v GWS (Kardinia Pk) - 17,243
Fremantle v Adelaide (Subiaco) - 31,392
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (York Park) - 16,143
Port Adelaide v Carlton (Footy Park) - 24,476
Essendon v Melbourne (MCG) - 42,987
Brisbane v West Coast (Gabba) - 15,546
Sydney v Bulldogs (SCG) - 13,505
Collingwood v Gold Coast (MCG) - 36,913

Total: 247,542
Average: 27,504

Well that's not true either. I went to a North v Freo game in Melbourne a couple of years ago and there was a similar crowd there. In a far better stadium under a roof.

Final Round 10 Crowds

St Kilda v Richmond (Docklands) - 49,337
Geelong v GWS (Kardinia Pk) - 17,243
Fremantle v Adelaide (Subiaco) - 31,392
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (York Park) - 16,143
Port Adelaide v Carlton (Footy Park) - 24,476
Essendon v Melbourne (MCG) - 42,987
Brisbane v West Coast (Gabba) - 15,546
Sydney v Bulldogs (SCG) - 13,505
Collingwood v Gold Coast (MCG) - 36,913

Total: 247,542
Average: 27,504

There were 24,746 at the Port v Carlton game

A bit worrying tbh. Even with redevelopment and bad weather, Swans should get more than 15,000.

Well didn't I tell you all that this sort of thing would happen when they brought in GWS. Rather than adding to the amount of AFL fans in Sydney, in my view GWS only splits the ones who are already there into 2. People not aligned with the Swans in anyway may want to become GWS members to get their footy fix, especially if they don't really like the Swans or AFL. GWS's best bet to to get fans of the game who barrack for other teams to take out memberships so they go to every game rather than just when their team plays the Swans in Sydney.

Don't forget too that EVERY game is televised live against the gate into Sydney. How many people went "Bugger going out in that weather" & sat on the couch with a warm of hot cocoa? Whilst it sells the team & game to new fans, it only supports lazyness & half-arsedness in the ones we have.

I'm personally angry at the renovations hurting the Swans for the 2nd time in 3 years. Yes, the SCG was horrendously substandard in terms of its facilities, but to penalise the Swans and not cricket when tests & one dayers could have been played at Homebush is in my view an indication of the attitude of the SCG Trust towards the Swans & AFL. Look at the Gabba. It got renovated during the summer one year so the Lions would not be affected.Why can't the SCG trust do the same to us?

JF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be 15,000 die-hard Swans fans in Sydney. To make excuses would be remiss. Rubbish crowd. :(

Put things in to perspective. The NRL finals derby between Souths & the Bulldogs at Homebush the night before only drew 19000 because of the rain. They were honestly hoping for 40000! :rolleyes:

Sydney people will not go out in the rain for live sport when they can watch it on TV. :eek:

JF

The announcement at the ground and an AFL article posted on the official iPhone app
'Port's upset victory - in front of 24,746 spectators - was their third win in a row and fourth this season, one more than they managed last year.'

Must be noted what a good turnout by the Blues fans Saturday night. Probably 4-5k there. Love the bi-partisan crowds at Port games especially against the well supported Vic teams. Should get a good crowd against the Hawks this week as they always have great numbers at Port games.

How many times in the last 10 years have North played a game in a stadium being renovated in heavy rain against a low drawing, interstate team?

No, it didn't.
Problem is Sydney have basically an entire city. So you obviously agree that Sydney's sporting fans are as a whole soft and fair weather?

Oh the poor members who have had to move from their usual seats. Please. I'm sure there's 13k undercover seats still at the SCG and through tv thousands were vacant. Gee, York Park only has about 8k of undercover seating and it doesn't usually stop too many.

Problem is Sydney have basically an entire city. So you obviously agree that Sydney's sporting fans are as a whole soft and fair weather?

Oh the poor members who have had to move from their usual seats. Please. I'm sure there's 13k undercover seats still at the SCG and through tv thousands were vacant. Gee, York Park only has about 8k of undercover seating and it doesn't usually stop too many.

I don't know why you're turning this into a pissing contest nor making sarcastic remarks. Sydney isn't Melbourne or Tasmania. People here dont live or die for sport. Saying Sydney have an entire city is just idiotic.

TB the simple reality is that while support for the Swans ( and the Lions for that matter ) is wide it isn't very deep. Hundreds of thousands of Sydneysiders will express support for the Swans but aht support won't go much beyond zapping the remote. They will always be vulnerable to a big fall off in poor weather or poor form or whatever.

Their core fans are as loyal as anyones but they have a smaller core. Simple as that.

I heard on the grapevine that Ticketek was not selling GA or Trumper Stand tickets for the Swans v Western Bulldogs game because the "allocation exhausted"; and even at the gate on game day, Trumper Stand tickets were "sold out" and not being sold.
Why a ticketing website would be peddling such blatant lies remains a mystery, but it's a completely unsatisfactory situation. This isn't the first time that the Swans have been ****ed around by Ticketek; and the AFL should be getting answers from Ticketek about this.

I heard on the grapevine that Ticketek was not selling GA or Trumper Stand tickets for the Swans v Western Bulldogs game because the "allocation exhausted"; and even at the gate on game day, Trumper Stand tickets were "sold out" and not being sold.
Why a ticketing website would be peddling such blatant lies remains a mystery, but it's a completely unsatisfactory situation. This isn't the first time that the Swans have been ****ed around by Ticketek; and the AFL should be getting answers from Ticketek about this.

Well the AFL will surely be embarrassed by the low number like we all are, so let's hope some questions are asked.

Some pretty awful crowds yesterday in Brisbane and Sydney.

If the Swans were getting 13,000 every week it'd be a cause for concern, but they're not. With a reduced capacity in 2012 they've had crowds of:

23,969 V Adelaide (including myself)
22,242 V Fremantle
21,049 V North
20,818 V Melbourne.

all due respect to those clubs, but Freo, North and Melbourne aren't exactly big draws, and the Swans still pulled > 20,000.

It was pouring rain on the weekend in Sydney. With the relocation of members from the stands under redevelopment the allocation of general admin tickets has been severly reduced (Crows game ran out of GA tickets really early, we had to buy Gold Reserved). Let's not jump at shadows.

Brisbane is a bit of a concern because their crowds and memberships have been trending downwards for some time. That decline has occured along side a pretty severe drop in on-field performance, so hopefully all they'll need to do is turn it around on the field and the fans will come back (unless there are other reasons for the decline that a Brisbane poster could illuminate us on?).

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Match attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back