2012 Match attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess 43k is a decent turnout considering Carlton only attracted 28k. About the only positive from an Essendon POV, however.

To be honest TB I think the comparison says more about recent Carlton attendances than it does about Essendon. The 43K was, I think you'll agree, a respectable turnout but nothing more given your ladder position. However the 28K for Carlton remains puzzling despite some mitigating circumstances.

Fact is that Carlton at home have posted some frankly disappointing figures recently. They went into the GWS game sitting 3rd and drew 28K. The Adelaide game was 4th hosting 3rd and really could have been slated as a potential 40K. In drew 36K. They were 7th when drawing fewer than 30K V Victorian opposition.

Carlton will be unhappy with those stats and will be hoping the melbourne turnout is an outlier rather than a predictor of what might happen if the form slips. We all know Carlton can draw a crowd and I am not suggesting otherwise but as I say they will be puzzled by a few recent figures

To be honest TB I think the comparison says more about recent Carlton attendances than it does about Essendon. The 43K was, I think you'll agree, a respectable turnout but nothing more given your ladder position. However the 28K for Carlton remains puzzling despite some mitigating circumstances.

Fact is that Carlton at home have posted some frankly disappointing figures recently. They went into the GWS game sitting 3rd and drew 28K. The Adelaide game was 4th hosting 3rd and really could have been slated as a potential 40K. In drew 36K. They were 7th when drawing fewer than 30K V Victorian opposition.

Carlton will be unhappy with those stats and will be hoping the melbourne turnout is an outlier rather than a predictor of what might happen if the form slips. We all know Carlton can draw a crowd and I am not suggesting otherwise but as I say they will be puzzled by a few recent figures

In general 'puzzling' is a good way to describe the last seven weeks for Carlton. Our crowds and football have been underwhelming recently, no doubt about it. It'll be interesting to see what the turnout for this Friday night will be, I'm hoping for as close to full house as possible - breaking it down there's no way it should draw less than 45k + (20k + Carlton, 20k Geel, 3-4k Friday night Medallion, neutrals etc.)

Yeah mate, I don't disagree with any of that. :thumbsu: I think we had our core of 30k supporters again as we have consistently been doing since last year. Nothing special, but then again the game wasn't expected to be what it was....

Still, I'm mightily pissed off this was one of our MCG home games. Who's idea was that?

I was expecting about 37-38000 last night. The game had no appeal what so ever irrespective of essendons ladder position. It rained and melbourne didnt bring much of following. When the rain started falling at 6pm I actually thought 35k would be all you could expect. Pretty good turnout. I think it proves that essendon should never have left the MCG.

This week is Sydney. It will virtually sell out but because efc sell 26,000 annual seats only 18,000 will be there on the night due to other commitments. A sell out and only 42/43,000 with the Eagles game the precedent. There would be 50,000 plus if at the G as our history v Sydney at the MCG would suggest. 10,000 miss out again. Not a good outcome for anyone. The sooner the AFL takeover the venue the quicker we can get the split changed to a 7/4 rather than a 4/7 split MCG.

There would be 50,000 plus if at the G as our history v Sydney at the MCG would suggest. 10,000 miss out again. Not a good outcome for anyone. The sooner the AFL takeover the venue the quicker we can get the split changed to a 7/4 rather than a 4/7 split MCG.

Nobody is 'missing out'. The game will not sell out, there will still be plenty of tickets available at the gate. People might choose to not attend, but anyone who wants a ticket will be able to buy one.

Nobody is 'missing out'. The game will not sell out, there will still be plenty of tickets available at the gate. People might choose to not attend, but anyone who wants a ticket will be able to buy one.

Unfortunately these ''tickets'' that will be available like the WC game will be impeded viewing or standing room.

I don't think we'd get 50k anyway at the G this isn't the 90's but we have really stuffed our reserved seat arrangement.

Non members who want to go, who want to jump on the bandwagon cant even take there family and sit in a reasonable seat because 3 quarters of the seats at Etihad have already been pre allocated as reserved seats to members who didn't want them and wont attend every game but had it forced onto them by the club. And so prime seats like V WC remain empty.

Be serious - the lack of atmosphere in the AFL is laughable. 15,000 Melbourne Victory fans at AAMI Park make far more noise than 70,000 sweetie paper rustlers at the MCG writing down the goalscorers in their Records.
If by "atmosphere" you mean nazi salutes and flares, then,yes, I suppose there is more of that at the soccer.

85-90% Essendon. I go to games expecting to lose sometimes, so you make a night of it, ring a couple of lads and catch up at the game, have a sip, a laugh a bit of a carry on. For the amount of melbourne fans that actually showed I say well done, but for the many thousands that didn`t :thumbsdown: and bad ****ing luck.

This week is Sydney. It will virtually sell out but because efc sell 26,000 annual seats only 18,000 will be there on the night due to other commitments. A sell out and only 42/43,000 with the Eagles game the precedent. There would be 50,000 plus if at the G as our history v Sydney at the MCG would suggest. 10,000 miss out again. Not a good outcome for anyone. The sooner the AFL takeover the venue the quicker we can get the split changed to a 7/4 rather than a 4/7 split MCG.

Yeah the solution at etihad clearly isn't working. I thought you had a buy back scheme? Is that failing? There were massive gaps at the Dreamtime match aswell....People certainly missed out then aswell.

Moving to Etihad was a poor decision in the end, IMO it would stifle growth/Shuts out 'Bandwagoners' who make up a large number of all teams supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when you ruin football with shitty umpiring, stupid rule changes and have an 18 team competition when there is only enough top-end talent to supply 12-14 teams

I think the public are voting with their feet. Today's football sucks.

I hardly bother to watch games that don't involve my team. It's just boring.

There are far too many stagers and cheats. Far too many soft, bullshit free kicks. West Coast have ducked and dived their way to the top of the ladder. Geelong built a 5 year dynasty on ducking and diving.

I'm sure I'm not alone. I reckon there would plenty of others like me who don't enjoy watching neutral games as much as they used to. Watch a game from the mid 90's and it's just sad how much the game has degenerated.

I genuinely believe that Adrian Anderson, Jeff Gieschen and the umpires have ruined our great game by not staying on top of it and allowing the cheaters to prosper. I also think the coaches are to blame. They kill off most games and bleed minutes of the clock with anti-football. As soon as any forward looks dangerous, they double team him. As soon as a champion midfielder gets off the chain, they apply a hard tag.

Footy used to be non-stop action, thrills and spills. Nowadays, I find myself drifting off and yawning midway through a quarter. I'll go and grab a beer and I won't miss a single highlight.

A once unpredictable game has become all too predictable.

It had been raining heavily the whole day - sounds like a pretty good excuse to me.

Oh please. A city with a greater pop'n of 100k got 16k on a miserable, wet day that was even colder than Sydney. Moreover, there was no real 'home team' like in Sydney. And that was perceived by some to be a disappointing crowd.

13k was diabolical.

It will be all but sold out. Where I am coming from is that there would be upwards of 10,000 that would go if it were at the MCG rather than join the s..t fight and be bothered with the tedius and all too difficult and costly system that is Ethihad. To my mind 10,000 will be 'missing out'.

Very good crowd for Collingwood :thumbsu:

Sydney and Brisbane.. That is just horrendous.

Well lets see, a third of the stadium ripped out means that a whole lot of members get moved out of their seats into seats that are normally GA and aren't under cover on a day when it's been pissing down (and had been for the previous two) meaning that those seats that are normally available for general admission sales aren't, so if members don't turn up to their new seats in pissing rain the ability isn't there to sell them.

Yeah the solution at etihad clearly isn't working. I thought you had a buy back scheme? Is that failing? There were massive gaps at the Dreamtime match aswell....People certainly missed out then aswell.

Moving to Etihad was a poor decision in the end, IMO it would stifle growth/Shuts out 'Bandwagoners' who make up a large number of all teams supporters.

They do have a buy back system. It is going to take time for EFC members to capitalise on the opportunity. The club on sold 700 members seats that were handed back for the Eagles game. Club research says only 70-80% of the members go to any match. A Saturday night game is always a lower members turn up rate for obvious reasons. It has 26,000 annual seat holders, 18,000 will go to the match this Sat night. Even if Essendon onsell 700 seats to the public, it has only utilised about 18,700 of its members seats on the night. This presents a problem of about 7,000 empty (but sold) seats. Then add on about 3,000 Medallion seats that are usually vacant, you have a real capacity of about 46,000. A few years ago, Essendon only sold about 15,000 season seats and therefore could properly utilise and ensure another 10,000 seats within the stadium were full. Hence why you wont see Essendon ever achieve a home crowd of near 50,000 at the Venue.

Upcoming home match V Hawthorn presents as its first embarrasing moment and may be the catalyst for pressure to get the politics underway to get it back to the MCG as it is locking out too many fans.

Whilst not as problematic yet, the Dreamtime match was a good example of the growing problem being faced at the MCG as clubs sell more memberships / season seats. There were about 3,000 empty seats in the AFL and about 1,500 empty in the MCC. Yet there were only 81,000 there. Essendon are going to implement the buy back at the MCG as well, i think for 2013. You would like to avoid a situation where the MCG is sold out 4 weeks out from ANZAC Day and there is only 84,000 there. However, this is becoming a wider problem in the AFL with several crowds at the MCG in the last 2 years being basically sold out and only 85,000 in attendance. I think Dreamtime was the largest example so far of the developing issue here for all clubs given Essendon probably sell the most season seats (apart from Collingwood perhaps).

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Match attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back