VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try and plead a case for him, and his thought process?

Been on the list for 2.5 years, for 2 games.

Safe to assume that he probably put in at times with no reward for effort?

He has watched all the other guys from his era get opportunity (sometimes undeserved and out of neccessity) or move on to other clubs where they are, and he is still playing at Sandy?

Sure, pull out your finger and demand selection some will say, but he may of been there done that over the journey. Might just need some Scotty love...

Fair points, but surely you'd want to put everything into impressing a new coach?

Fair points, but surely you'd want to put everything into impressing a new coach?

Yes.

I'm just not sure that level of maturity is always inbuilt, so sometimes a bit more close attention is needed.

From what I've heard, the kind of football he is capable of on a better day, is perhaps worth trying to unlock him mentally?

Round 6: Collingwood vs Sandringham
Saturday April 28 at Victoria Park

Seniors: 1:10 PM

Development Squad have the bye this week

This game will be broadcast on ABC from 1pm on Saturday.

Ahmed Saad will return from suspension this week.

Hadn't been to a VFL game for a long time and it was nice to see most of the senior team there. Was actually sitting in front of Cripps for most of the match and Scott Watters was on the grass next to where we were sitting. Enjoyable day overall hopefully I'll be able to do it again soon.

One thing I really noticed is how far off AFL intensity it is. I know not alot comes close but I was surprised by how big the drop off was.

Hadn't been to a VFL game for a long time and it was nice to see most of the senior team there. Was actually sitting in front of Cripps for most of the match and Scott Watters was on the grass next to where we were sitting. Enjoyable day overall hopefully I'll be able to do it again soon.

One thing I really noticed is how far off AFL intensity it is. I know not alot comes close but I was surprised by how big the drop off was.

What is big concern is the Zebs gameplan. You cant use the boundries at TBBO, you need to use the corridor. It frustrated hell out me on Friday that Saints did it all night and saw Freo carve us up through middle. Then sitting there (well standing) on Sunday watching it all over again.

Also interesting to hear the Zebs faithful bag crap out of every single Saints listed player. Clearly a fair few dont like the alignment, and some obviously arent Saints fans so would be hard to cheer them but was out control at some stages.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=19039918

“We butchered it in the first half. We were a little bit better in the second half.” Allen said, this was reflected in the stats with Sandys effective dispoal use showing 65% disposal effecientcy.

Sandringham made simple kicking errors to teammates and at shots at goal. At half time they had kicked 3 goals 10 behinds and did not take full advantage of the breeze that they had.

The intensity of the Zebra boys lifted and it showed through a great smother by Chris Irving in the third quarter that almost landed a goal*.

Their run and carry through the midfield was lifted, with a lead up mark to Beau Wilkes on the wing, who kicked to Cameron Shenton and then hand passed to Adam Cockie to give him a goal.

The Sandringham defence held strong from the Seagull’s attacks and the Zebra’s managed to find avenues to goal as well. “Down back Beau Dowler and (Jackson) Ferguson were good.” Allen recalled.

In a frantic quarter for both teams, Sandringham got as close as 1 point due to some individual and team brilliance. Beau Wilkes kicked a goal that was nearly over his head from a missed mark.

With thunder and rain pelting down, the Seagulls kicked the last 3 goals.

* almost? he kicked it out on the full!!!

What is big concern is the Zebs gameplan. You cant use the boundries at TBBO, you need to use the corridor.

Kicking skills, thunda. Without them, you run a big risk in turning it over in a dangerous position.

At least Freo worked hard to nullify our better kicks (Dal Santo, Fisher, and even Goddard was rushed with just about every kick). And they seem to have quite a few that can kick hit a target 50m away (or even further at times).

Not sure that the Zebs had the same excuse. Gram didn't seem to have any trouble kicking it (nor Gwilt, but no surprise there).

Sippa kicked the ball 50m+ into the wind, but pretty much every kick was a tumble punt. Curren, Winmar and Ross couldn't get it to spin properly either.

Shenton turned it over just about every time he kicked it (which was a shame, as his marking and intensity was 10x better than the last time I saw him).

Not sure how Darch and Peake were kicking (as they hardly touched it all day!).

Kicking skills, thunda. Without them, you run a big risk in turning it over in a dangerous position.

At least Freo worked hard to nullify our better kicks (Dal Santo, Fisher, and even Goddard was rushed with just about every kick). And they seem to have quite a few that can kick hit a target 50m away (or even further at times).

Not sure that the Zebs had the same excuse. Gram didn't seem to have any trouble kicking it (nor Gwilt, but no surprise there).

Sippa kicked the ball 50m+ into the wind, but pretty much every kick was a tumble punt. Curren, Winmar and Ross couldn't get it to spin properly either.

Shenton turned it over just about every time he kicked it (which was a shame, as his marking and intensity was 10x better than the last time I saw him).

Not sure how Darch and Peake were kicking (as they hardly touched it all day!).

Yea true, its still frustrating as all hell watching them use boundries there. But i guess at least we know both gameplans are the same!!

Isn't the centre of TBO the size of a cricket pitch? You're pretty much stuck on the wings by the time the ball is bounced, aren't you? ;)

Leader Newspaper/Veolia Player of the Year

Seniors Round 5
3- B.Wilkes
2- A.Cockie
1- F.Ray

Dev Squad Round 5
3 – M.Stapleton
2 – J.Coleman
1 – C.Michaliades

Senior Leaderboard (After Round 5):
6 - B.Wilkes
5 – T.Curren
4 – M.Cook, A.Cockie
3 – S.Dunell
1 – H.Shepheard, F.Ray

Dev Squad Leaderboard (After Round 5):
6 – M.Stapleton
5 – J.Bruno
3 – C.Waller, J.Webster, C.Michaliades
2 – M.Meehan, T.Mavric, S.Widdowson, J.Coleman
1 – D.Markworth, D.Brown

Yea true, its still frustrating as all hell watching them use boundries there. But i guess at least we know both gameplans are the same!!

Seems Peter German is in on the joke too!

Asked about winning at Sandringham, Williamstown coach Peter German said: "Well Coburg did beat them here two weeks ago and we felt that maybe it was a sign they'd changed their game style a bit and their style, does it suit Trevor Barker Oval? I'm not too sure. So that gave us a bit of heart."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stuff. Not sure about the disco music!

I couldn't get full screen, so for those struggling to follow the plays:

First one is Grammy swooping and banging it through from 50.

The second is started by a lovely throw-up by the umpire (one of many during the day after a dodgy first bounce), and Ledge (#61) leaving the pill behind only for Sippa to get the quick hand-off and bang a great goal through.

Then Grammy a long ball to Wilkes for a mark and goal.

Some good work by Jacko (#64), with Faz assisting it to Curren who kicks long to Sippa - straight through his hands for a great goal to Wilkes (too quick for the cameraman).

Nice grab by Jacko who gives off to Gwilt, spanks it to Wilkes, who gathers after the contest and finds Peake on the chest.

Sliding mark and long goal to Ledger.

What is Ferg's kicking like Squizzy.

The main weakness in his game. Seems to have more presence in the air this year, the highlights show he gets involved in general play, and there's never been any issue with his pace (has matched up on short people at times, even if I don't like it).

St Kilda FC ‏ @stkildafc

@truezebras Darren (Minchington) is available for selection this week.

Good to see it was nothing serious at all as it didnt look good. Not to mention his screams of pain didnt sound good!

SENIORS

B: B.Dowler, J. Gwilt, J. Hallahan
HB: F.Ray, J. Ferguson, N. WINMAR
C: B.PEAKE, M. COOK, D. Minchington
HF: T.Curren,D. Archer,A. Saad
F: S.Dunnel, C.Shenton, A. Siposs

Followers: Shepheard, T. LEDGER, S. Ross
Interchange: M. Stapleton, W. ANDREOLI, B. WILKES,C. Michaliades,J. Coleman, Sikora, Crocker, Cockie, Irving,

Darren (Minchington) is available for selection this week.

Impressive.

Hopefully it won't be like Seb Ross, who's struggled ever since getting a heavy knock to the knee a few weeks back.

Impressive.

Hopefully it won't be like Seb Ross, who's struggled ever since getting a heavy knock to the knee a few weeks back.

Also Sikora is fit to play!! Talk about some good luck with the injury gods!

Archer kicks opening goal :thumbsu:

Didak kicked couple for Ferals...

Ledger & Siposs playing

Siposs kicks one for Zebs! 2.0 to 2.1

Some piss poor kickign again. Cant hit target to save ourselves. Curren lucky Didak couldnt kick it from 50m

Not being able to hit target yet again costs Zebs a goal. 5 turnovers by Zebs already. 3.2.20 to 2.0.12

Dunnell kicks goal after some smart thinking and playing on after a free.

James Gwilt putting in another solid performance so far. Showing no signs he is returning from injury.

Ferguson also been pretty solid down back. We lead 4.1 to 3.3 at moment

Coleman gets his 2nd of the day after some nice work from Ferguson. Zebs extend their lead to 11 points.

QTR TIME: @sandyzebs 5.2.32 to @Collingwood_FC 3.3.21
Goals: Coleman 2, Dunnell, Archer, Siposs
Jackson Ferguson has 7 touches & James Gwilt with 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back