Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazed at the amount of teams leaving out Suckling. Here's my go for what it's worth

FB: Gibson Gilham Guerra
HB: Birchall Shoey Stratton
C: Smith Mitchell Shiels
HF: Burgoyne Franklin Hodge
F: Rioli Roughy Hale

R: Bailey Lewis Sewell

I: Suckling Puopolo Breust Whitecross

That was a bit tougher than I expected. Depth in order: Murphy, Savage, Gunston, Osbourne, Young, Ellis, Lisle, Renouf, Cheney. Would love to see Gunston as a walk up starter but I think he'll need to earn his spot in the side. Don't think it will take long though.

FB: Suckling, Schoenmakers, Gilham
HB: Birchall, Gibson, Stratton
C: Smith, Mitchell, Lewis
HF: Rioli, Franklin, Burgoyne
FF: Fevola, Roughead, Puopolo
R: Bailey, Sewell, Hodge
I: Guerra, Hale, Shiels, Sub: Bruest

E:Savage, Whitecross, Osborne

Note that thomas murphy isn't in it, finally! (Although i don't think it will happen)

Also Brendan Fevola is there, with the emergance of Jarryd Roughead playing second ruck this year and Buddy kick chasing up the ground we often find ourself with no forward target as shown many times in the prelim when buddy was up the ground and it was Puopolo playing as the key man when the ball came forward :| One thing that hawthorn does lack is a big contested marking option in the forward line, Buddy and Roughy the to great players they are, are not good contested marks, but yet we still kick it on their heads like they are? What could go wrong with fev ? put him on a rookie contract with a get out clause if he does anything wrong and put him on a rookie salary, who cares if it doesnt work out, just sack him? Surely it's worth the crack during our premiership window....

Also Schoenmakers does make it, even throughout all the mistakes he makes, possibly costing us a grand final birth, he did show signs against players like Dawes and Reid in the two finals, hes only 20. Give him a fair go Hawthorn supporters!!

I was gonna stop reading when i got to 'finally murphy isnt in', then i thought about it again when i read 'buddy kick chasing', but i finally stopped when i read 'roughy- not good contested mark'.
some people, as passionate as they are about they club, and as much as they can have their own opinion, shouldnt talk about structures and best 22s etc when they dont have a clue about it.....cause im sure buddy said to poppy 'you stay back here mate, im gonna go and see if i can get my stats up!!!'

B: Puopolo Gillies/Boumann/Gilham Gibson
HB: Hodge Stratton Birchall
C: Burgoyne Mitchell Smith
HF: Gunston Franklin Lewis
F: Rioli Roughead Hale
R: Bailey Sewell Shiels

I: Savage, Shoenmakers/Lisle, Suckling SUB: Bruest

Emerg: Ellis, Young, Bateman, Osborne, Whitecross, Murphy, Bruce, etc

BP: Guerra (very under rated on this forum) FB: Gilham/Schoey BP: Gibson

HBF: Birchall HB: Stratton HBF: Burgoyne/Puopolo

C: Smith Mitchell Savage

HFF Gunston Buddy Lewis

FF Cyril Roughead Bruest (expecting big things)

Ruck: Bailey, Sewell, Hodge

I.C Shiels, Puopolo, Ellis, Suckling.

Good depth with Young, Bateman, Osbourne, Whitecross, Murphy and Bruce waiting to come in.

Guerra Gilham Stratton
Birchall Shoey Gibson
Smith Mitchell Lewis
Burgoyne Franklin Gunston
Rioli Roughead Bruest
Bailey Hodge Sewell
Int: Shiels, Whitecross, Puopolo Sub: Savage/Ellis/Suckling/Osborne/Young

I found it very hard to pick 22, which is always good. I would ideally like to leave Hale out with Roughie pinch hitting in the ruck (but not sure this will happen in reality). Considering we have depth including: Murphy, Hale, Suckling, Ossie, Savage, Young, Lisle, Renouf or Ellis I think we are looking good (fingers crossed for a decent run with injuries). It would be great to see Lowden, Litherland, Hallahan and Siera also push for selection.

FB- Stratton | Lisle | Suckling
HB- Gibson | Schoenmakers | Birchall
C- Whitecross | Sewell | Smith
HF- Hodge | Franklin | Rioli
FF- Gunston | Roughead | Breust
Fol- Bailey | Mitchell | Shiels

Int- Lowden | Savage | Lewis | Puopolo | Guerra | Burgoyne | Gilham

That would have to be the best HF line in the comp :thumbsu:

FB - stratton / lisle / guerra
HB - gibson / shoey / birchall
C - shiels / sewell / smith
HF - gunston / franklin / burgoyne
F - rioli / roughhead / breust
Fol - bailey / hodge / mitchell

Int - lewis / poppy / gilham / whitex

emerg - hale , suckling , savage / ?

FB: Guerra Gilham/Shoey (favouring Shoey) Gibson
CB: Birchall Stratton Suckling
C: Savage Mitch Smith
HF: Hodge Franklin Gunston
FF: Rioli Roughead/Hale Puopolo
R: Bailey Sewell Lewis

Int: Shiels Whitecross Burgoyne Sub: Breust

Emerg: The rest of the squad!!

My initial thoughts are:
  • although lots of calls for two KPD and Stratts and Gibbo, I think we can do with only one KPD and Stratts and Gibbo. This team provides us with all six defenders being good rebounders and when working as a team will be able to counter the "gorillas" for all their non-existance (other than maybe the Pies)
  • Quick wingers!!! It is great to see us have a strong midfield and yet I can't find a place for players like Bateman and Ellis, with Shiels on the bench:eek:.
  • The forward line can only afford two bigs (and none on the interchange). We need the run of the other guys and have flexibility with Gunston having height (although maybe not the size) to be a KPF if required. This forward line has pressure galore, good markers all round and if we can force Osborne out by replacing with better skilled players I reckon it is pretty sh%t hot:cool:. Ideally I would love mid season Roughy, but I believe will be difficult to have him in the team unless he can help out in the ruck (but for less time).
  • Assuming Bailey will continue to improve (mainly around the ground). I would like to see him hold some marks either pushing forward or back. Lewis grew in September and there will not be any tougher midfield than him and Sewell (with pace on the wings to take advantage.
The bench is fairly flexible and provides relief for the mids and coverage all over (other than key position but we have a lot of flexibility elsewhere) and I reckon Breust should have been sub in the prelim and would be a real asset coming on in the last quarter.

If expectations are that number 19 will be available for a new player, I think we should give it to Gunston, who will play forward and release Roughie to the backline (I'm going somewhere with this, get ready)...

This would mean the key position players down our spine will look something like what I'm listing below (you'll have to excuse the fact I'm just using numbers, I can't remember the players names :D):

FB: Number 24
HB: Number 2
HF: Number 23
FF: Number 19

There seems to be some sort of weird symmetry there that I can't quite put my finger on. Seems like a good spine to me, number-wise...

Is destiny finally convincing Clarko to play Roughie down back after all? lol.

FB: guerra stratton murphy
HB: birchall shoey gibson
C: smith mitchell lewis
HF: rioli buddweiser hodge
FF: puopolo rough justice bruest
R: bailey sewell shiels

int burgers, ellis, gunston, suckling

next in line: Savage, gilham

FB: Puopolo Gilham Guerra
HB: Birchall Shoenmakers Gibson
C: Lewis Mitchell Smith
HF: Gunston Franklin Burgoyne
F: Roughead Hale Rioli
R: Bailey Hodge Sewell
I: Savage Bruest Shiels Stratton

Revised 2012 Round 1 Line up

After all the recent trades - players in and out, I have put up my best 22 for round 1 of 2012. This is presuming Roughead and Gilham are fit to go.

B: Guerra, Gilham, Stratton
HB: Suckling, Gibson, Birchall
C: Lewis, Sewell, Shiels
HF: Burgoyne, Franklin, Whitecross
F: Rioli, Roughead, Gunston
R: Bailey, Mitchell, Hodge
I: Smith, Puopolo, Hale, Osborne

E: Savage, Bruest, Murphy

Reserves:
Boumann
Ellis
Cheney
Schoenmakers
Young
Bateman
Bruce
Lowden
Grimley
Hallahan
Litherland

Delisted:
Morton?
Williams?
Duryea?
Ladson?
Renouf
Lisle

Thoughts...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Revised 2012 Round 1 Line up

B: Gibson, Boumann, Stratton
HB: Suckling, Schoenmakers, Birchall
C: Lewis, Sewell, Shiels
HF: Burgoyne, Franklin, Whitecross
F: Rioli, Roughead, Gunston
R: Bailey, Mitchell, Hodge
I: Smith, Puopolo, Hale, Bruest

E: Savage, Guerra, Murphy

Just a few minor differences for mine. I know there is some good names missing but such is the depth of our list at the moment.

In reality our round 1 line up will depend on the opposition, but I think it's important we get as many AFL games experience into Boumann and Schoey as possible before finals.

I also think it would be extremely prudent to have a rotating players policy from week to week like the Cats did this season instead of getting to round 24 and resting half the team. This way we truly will have a list of about 30 players come finals time that have recent games and fitness under their belts.

Out: Renouf(port), Lisle(bris), Sierakowski(nth)*rookie list
In: Gunston (Adel), Boumann(box hill)

Still means we have to delist 3 players for the draft.
Delisted:
Ladson- pretty well publicised he's out, may end up at GWS
Morton- also heard he's been told no longer required.
3rd one would have to out of Bruce, Bateman(retiring?), Williams & Duryea.

Out: Renouf(port), Lisle(bris), Sierakowski(nth)*rookie list
In: Gunston (Adel), Boumann(box hill)

Still means we have to delist 3 players for the draft.
Delisted:
Ladson- pretty well publicised he's out, may end up at GWS
Morton- also heard he's been told no longer required.
3rd one would have to out of Bruce, Bateman(retiring?), Williams & Duryea.

Bateman is on the vets list and I believe Mitchell can be added to the list in 2012.
If Mitchell goes off the main list we may only have to delist two. I would think Laddo and Morton are certainties but Bruce Williams and Duryea would come under consideration. If it is Duryea he would be a strong chance to be rookied later.

The line-up I think about every night before falling asleep.........

FB: Guerra, Gibson, Stratton
HB: Birchall, Shoenmakers, Burgoyne
C: Bateman, Sewell, Young
HF: Lewis, Roughead, Gunston
FF: Rioli, Buddy, Osborne
R: Bailey, Hodge, Mitchell

Inter: Hale, Puopolo, Shiels, Smith (sub)
Next in line for Emergency (in order): Ellis, Whitecross, Suckling, Bruest, Savage, Bruce, Gilham, Murphy.

FB: Puopolo – Gilham – Gibson
HB: Burgoyne – Schoenmakers – Birchall

C: Smith – Mitchell – Roughead

HF: Hodge – Franklin – Gunston
FF: Bruest – Fevola ;-) – Rioli

R: Bailey – Lewis – Sewell

I: Suckling – Guerra – Shiels – Whitecross (e)

For a fully fit Hawthorn in 2012:

B: Guerra Gilham Stratton
HB: Birchall Gibson Hodge
C: Smith Sewell Burgoyne
HF: Whitecross Franklin Rioli
F: Gunston Hale Puopolo
R: Bailey Mitchell Lewis

INT: Osbourne Shiels Roughead Breust

EMG/depth: Boumann, Cheney, Shoenmakers, Savage, Murphy, Ellis, Young

Don't know why, but I thought Hodge really slowed down this year. Looks great when he's playing in the back line though.

I also reckon we should watch out for Cheney to take the next step in 2012.

NAB Cup 2012: Blood kids, and experiment with positions.

B: Stratton Gibson Cheney
HB: Birchall Boumann Milne
C: Smith Shiels Young
HF: WhiteX Franklin Rioli
F: Shoenmakers Hale Gunston
R: Bailey Sewell Ellis

INT: Hallihan, Lowden, Breust, Savage

EMG/depth: Suckling, Murphy, Bruce, Changa, Puopolo, Hodge, Burgers, Sewell, Lewis, Mitchell

Round 1

B: Stratton Gibson Murphy
HB: Birchall Boumann Shoenmakers
C: Smith Mitchell Lewis
F: Puopolo Hale Rioli
R: Bailey Sewell Burgers

INT: Shiels, Savage, Ellis, Guerra

EMG/depth: Suckling, Cheney, Gilham, Young, Breust, Bruce, Lowden, Changa, Milne

2nd Half of Season

B: Stratton Boumann Gibson
HB: Birchall Roughead Shoenmakers
C: Smith Mitchell Lewis
F: Puopolo Hale Rioli
R: Bailey Sewell Burgers

INT: Shiels, Gilham, Ellis, Guerra

EMG/depth: Suckling, Savage, Cheney, Murphy, Young, Breust, Bruce, Lowden, Changa, Milne

i would like to think that both our newbies , gunston and boumann , will be part of our starting 22 . think we have added some good depth in getting these blokes . means now pressure will ease on buddy with gunston and the return of roughy . pressure will ease on our backline with the return of gilham , a fit stratton , an improved shoey and the inclusion of boumann . frees hodge up more to be a play maker anywhere he likes . will be interesting to see who we get with our pics . i'm not concerned about what number picks we have , i think that is over rated in some ways . look at poppy ? many players are got for bargains and become very good players given the right management . i trust or club are on a winner . go hawks !!!

B: Guerra gilham stratton
hb: Gibson shuey birchall

c: Lewis mitchell smith

hf: Gunston roughy burgs
f: Rioli franklin bruest

r: Bailey sewell, hodge

b: Ellis shiels pup suckling

B: Guerra gilham stratton
hb: Gibson shuey birchall

c: Lewis mitchell smith

hf: Gunston roughy burgs
f: Rioli franklin bruest

r: Bailey sewell, hodge

b: Ellis shiels pup suckling

I really like this team... Hale is a bit stiff tho, has been pretty damn good for us.
I would like to make room for Savage too... At the moment, i'd probably have Savage in for Ellis, until he can show his touch is back, and Whitecross in front of Suckling too.

Guerra Gilham Stratton
Gibson Schoenmakers Birchall -> pretty tall backline if all these guys are playing...
Lewis Mitchell Smith
Rioli Buddy Burgers
Gunston Roughead Bruest

Bailey Hodge Sewell

int: Whitecross, Popuolo, Shiels, Sub: Savage

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back