2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There may be crowd fudging going on anywhere at any time.

But I think the GWS crowd could well be 6000. I think we're just not used to such small crowds in the AFL.

The last crowd of that level I went to was Fitzroy versus an interstate team (I think) at Princes Park that had 7,000-odd turn up. It looked much the same as the GWS crowd to be honest.

There may be crowd fudging going on anywhere at any time.

But I think the GWS crowd could well be 6000. I think we're just not used to such small crowds in the AFL.

The last crowd of that level I went to was Fitzroy versus an interstate team (I think) at Princes Park that had 7,000-odd turn up. It looked much the same as the GWS crowd to be honest.
It was at Whitten oval I think. But yeah there always people not in their seats at bars, getting food or toilets and people we can't see in the corparate boxes too.

Not gonna happen. IIRC GWS and the AFL signed a deal with the ACT govt for GWS to play matches there for the next 10 years (from 2012). Besides, Canberra shows the Giants good support imo. They have over 3k members there.
Yeah I know, I'd prefer it if the AFL just gave Canberra its own team or if they really want us to have a presence there the AFL should just pay Vic team to have home games against us there.

Yeah I know, I'd prefer it if the AFL just gave Canberra its own team or if they really want us to have a presence there the AFL should just pay Vic team to have home games against us there.

We shouldn't be so judgmental about GWS. In fact some of the comment is ridiculous about attendance figures.

Western Sydney is an area heavily populated with immigrants who have no family relationship to Aus sport and are soccer first and last and in which the local non immigrant population are said to be in rugby heartland - but won't come out and support the local Penrith rugby club which drew 7,000 to its recent home game V Interstate Melbourne. The soccer team drew well but take away being a winning side, take away honeymoon bounce, take away derby crowds and it looks a different picture.

GWS are a hopelessly uncompetitive side in a desperately difficult locale for any sports club. It takes time. GWS are getting about 7K at the Showground but every game is basically interstate. What was NRL Penrith's interstate average at home across 4 games last season? 7,507 and that after 45 years building a brand. Powerhouse Parramatta, one of Sydney RL's Big 4, is struggling as well and played Competion Giant Brisbane last home game and struggled to draw 11,000. Get real everyone.

We shouldn't be so judgmental about GWS. In fact some of the comment is ridiculous about attendance figures.

Western Sydney is an area heavily populated with immigrants who have no family relationship to Aus sport and are soccer first and last and in which the local non immigrant population are said to be in rugby heartland - but won't come out and support the local Penrith rugby club which drew 7,000 to its recent home game V Interstate Melbourne. The soccer team drew well but take away being a winning side, take away honeymoon bounce, take away derby crowds and it looks a different picture.

GWS are a hopelessly uncompetitive side in a desperately difficult locale for any sports club. It takes time. GWS are getting about 7K at the Showground but every game is basically interstate. What was NRL Penrith's interstate average at home across 4 games last season? 7,507 and that after 45 years building a brand. Powerhouse Parramatta, one of Sydney RL's Big 4, is struggling as well and played Competion Giant Brisbane last home game and struggled to draw 11,000. Get real everyone.
This is why I think the Giants should work with the Wanderers.. I happily follow both

Brisbane v Collingwood 26,626.

Must say on tv looked to be more Collingwood fans at the game. Even Dennis committi said during the game that Collingwood fans have outnumbered Brisbane. Not surprised tho as Collingwood would have the biggest following in Queensland outside Brisbane and Gold Coast

I was at the game and there were more Lions fans, probably around 60/40, but there would've been more Collingwood on the South-Eastern end (left of screen).

Having said that the crowd number was pathetic considering it's a Friday Night, we're playing Collingwood and wearing our real jumper. I was surprised at the number of empty seats, but it was worth noting that it was raining in Brisbane before the game started.

I was at the game and there were more Lions fans, probably around 60/40, but there would've been more Collingwood on the South-Eastern end (left of screen).

Having said that the crowd number was pathetic considering it's a Friday Night, we're playing Collingwood and wearing our real jumper. I was surprised at the number of empty seats, but it was worth noting that it was raining in Brisbane before the game started.

Are brisbane crowds like Sydney and dont turn up if it's raining?

Must say on tv looked to be more Collingwood fans at the game. Even Dennis committi said during the game that Collingwood fans have outnumbered Brisbane. Not surprised tho as Collingwood would have the biggest following in Queensland outside Brisbane and Gold Coast

Well not so sure bout that the pies banging on the goals even with decent support can sound louder and Brisbane having nothing to cheer about whatsoever didnt hear boo from them so of course pies would seem to have more it was one way traffic in the goals dept, me thinks if brissie were right in it they wouldve sounded louder which is how it should be being the home team but yeah pies still have good support there as we do too as evidenced in previous games played there....

Are brisbane crowds like Sydney and dont turn up if it's raining?

Brisbane crowds don't turn up when the team is losing. Our crowds in 2010 when we were expected to finish top four and started 4-0 and our crowds in 2011 where we were expected to finish bottom four and started 0-7 is a perfect example. Or Queensland Reds crowds over the past few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane crowds don't turn up when the team is losing. Our crowds in 2010 when we were expected to finish top four and started 4-0 and our crowds in 2011 where we were expected to finish bottom four and started 0-7 is a perfect example. Or Queensland Reds crowds over the past few years.

You hit the nail on the head....attendance is driven by "losing" "winning" and "expectation".

Disappointing attendances so far. I don't blame the Blues for not turning up to a dead game but 25K is a couple of thou off expected. Crows at home to Freo was well below 30K. Not a good round so far.

Why are interstate supporter numbers grossly overexaggerated? If there were 40,000 at the game, then maybe you could argue there were more Pies fans. But given the crowd was only a few thousand more than their usual turnout, you're suggesting that about 8,000 Lions fans that normally show up to their games didn't do that on Friday. Which is obviously ridiculous.

I'm telling you there was at least 10k at Darwin, look at the Bulldogs vs GC game last year, I think they said it was 8k at that game, way less than tonight

Why are interstate supporter numbers grossly overexaggerated? If there were 40,000 at the game, then maybe you could argue there were more Pies fans. But given the crowd was only a few thousand more than their usual turnout, you're suggesting that about 8,000 Lions fans that normally show up to their games didn't do that on Friday. Which is obviously ridiculous.

I'm only stating what Dennis committi was saying in the 3rd qtr that Collingwood fans have outnumbered lions fans. No other club in the Afl can ever do that

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back