List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess Ratten's logic was right to a point but what system did we have in place when the coach overrules the people that are charged with recruitment?

A coaches input is relative but shouldn't be the driving force in recruitment. Why even have recruiters if that's going to be the case. Just have observers. Cheaper.

Harks just interested to understand your comment about the coaches input into recruitment. I would have thought that they have a large say on the type of player they want.

They have a say in the types they want but they shouldn't be in the position to make a call on a player and if they can, then something may not be working as it should.
Good luck to Buckley pulling rank on Hine for instance.

It's fine for a coach to want an established player that he may have viewed at close range for some time but how could they possibly follow what happens in the TAC and like national leagues. Just wouldn't have the time to cover all the ground needed to make the judgement. That's what the recruiter and his network does.

Would welcome some informed advice on exactly how our system works though.

I reckon Mick's input into draftee's would be:

"I like players who perform in big games. Ok, bye...the rest is your job"

I guess Ratten's logic was right to a point but what system did we have in place when the coach overrules the people that are charged with recruitment?

A coaches input is relative but shouldn't be the driving force in recruitment. Why even have recruiters if that's going to be the case. Just have observers. Cheaper.

The head coach's influence probably varies from club to club.

For mine the recruiters do all the grunt work (watching games/interviews/analysis) as the coach would never have the time but the recruiters aren't involved in game plan, development etc so unless the club's and the head coach's philosophy is best skills based player available at all times (which to me would be silly) the coach would and should be closely involved in recruitment in terms of who the club will go after come draft time.

Mick obviously took the lead with the Everitt and Thomas recruitments and I'd be very surprised if he wasn't right across the recruiters possibles at our picks. I'd go as far as to say he may even have had input in terms of order of preference.

Mick knows exactly what type of players he needs however the recruiting/scouting staff are there to ensure as many rocks are overturned as possible in the lead up to the draft and would then present a list.

Not saying Mick would have the only say but I reckon he'd go close to the final say.

Conversely a more junior coach without the runs on the board or a first time senior coach or a coach who's just been or about to be appointed (a la the Saints) may well defer to the head of recruiting.

I'm sorry harks you know I love you but it should be the people who have the "secret information" that paints thorpe as the anti-christ who in simple terms should "put up or shut up". Either post the reasons for not wanting him or let those who havent heard those rumours too discuss on the aspects that are clear to all. The facts of the matter.

So you want people who have what you call "secret information" to come out and post it on a public forum but until they tell you every little detail it's easier to bury your head in the sand and believe rumours rather than accept what you are told from people that you acknowledge have this "secret information".

It really is no wonder there isn't much information shared on these boards any more if this is the kind of....... stuff they get in return.

So you want people who have what you call "secret information" to come out and post it on a public forum but until they tell you every little detail it's easier to bury your head in the sand and believe rumours rather than accept what you are told from people that you acknowledge have this "secret information".

It really is no wonder there isn't much information shared on these boards any more if this is the kind of....... stuff they get in return.
'just trust me' funnily enough doesn't fill a lot of confidence

All i'm saying is your argument isn't prima facie, the onus is upon you to show evidence to support your opinion, if you cannot do this then one can only assume that the other side of the debate, which has put forth evidence (goal scorers award, premiership, captain-coach, mvp), is at this stage the correct position.
I am not going to stray away from clear, logical, evidential reasoning because you and others "claim" to know something which would subvert my opinion.
Therefore until you put evidence forth to the contrary, I can only assume I am correct and thus when people post things like "thorpe would be a disaster", "beware he will cost us more than a list place", "I wouldn't draft him if he paid us" in reply to posts of the contrary, it becomes rather annoying.

It really is no wonder there isn't much logical consensus on these boards any more if this is the kind of.... stuff they get in return.

....but so does Lennon :( ...................what to do?

Where's that little Mexican girl when you need her?

If this talk about Lennon sliding due to McCarthy being snapped up by the lions is true then i can almost see this happening.

2013 draft: Carlton.... Player 183875 Ben Lennon Nothern Knights. etc etc

2015 trade period headline... "BOYD BECOMES A BLUE"

2016... #17 & Offically the most successful club in the afl once again.... :cool:

God imagine having Doc, Lennon and Boyd all kids that would bleed for the jumper and pretty sure would be there for life........ Im off to look for a box of Kleenex.

All i'm saying is your argument isn't prima facie, the onus is upon you to show evidence to support your opinion, if you cannot do this then one can only assume that the other side of the debate, which has put forth evidence (goal scorers award, premiership, captain-coach, mvp), is at this stage the correct position.
I am not going to stray away from clear, logical, evidential reasoning because you and others "claim" to know something which would subvert my opinion.
Therefore until you put evidence forth to the contrary, I can only assume I am correct and thus when people post things like "thorpe would be a disaster", "beware he will cost us more than a list place", "I wouldn't draft him if he paid us" in reply to posts of the contrary, it becomes rather annoying.

It really is no wonder there isn't much logical consensus on these boards any more if this is the kind of.... stuff they get in return.

holy crap, and still another four months of off season to go.

If this talk about Lennon sliding due to McCarthy being snapped up by the lions is true then i can almost see this happening.

2013 draft: Carlton.... Player 183875 Ben Lennon Nothern Knights. etc etc

2015 trade period headline... "BOYD BECOMES A BLUE"

2016... #17 & Offically the most successful club in the afl once again.... :cool:

God imagine having Doc, Lennon and Boyd all kids that would bleed for the jumper and pretty sure would be there for life........ Im off to look for a box of Kleenex.

If this was to happen, not sure we'd need anymore evidence that god supports Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I know it's not worth much but Brett Anderson reckons McCarthy, Lennon, Salem and Freeman will all be gone before our pick. He also thinks Bonts could then slide to 13. Grain of salt stuff I know, but I think we're bound to get a good one as long as McCarthy.

TC have a thread asking for 5 favourite players in the draft.
Allowing for context; here's mine

1. The pick Collingwood got for Thomas
2. Pick 14 who we should have taken at 13
3. The pick at the end of the first round we would have got for Betts if we hadn't taken Thomas
4. Pick 32 which we gave away fro Everitt
5. Pick 33 which we gave away for Docherty

and for good measure
6. Pick 40 (see pick 13)

On the one side, we have gossip, innuendo, and rumour, none if which are confirmed, none of which you will give sources for, none of which really concerns those of us interested in finding players who can play.

On the other side we have the objective, factual evidence of Thorp's performance, his excellent record representing his club and representing the state, his growing collection of awards and accolades.

If you were being reasonable, you would see why there are a number of people here who have an interest Thorp and what becomes of him.

Can someone explain to me why Brisbane would take McCarthy after recrouting JOnathan Freeman and Jackson Paine?
Paine is.... okay
Freeman, I dont know much about him besides he's a QLD project they signed

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to say they may draft McCarthy, they certainly dont have any young big ticket forwards on their list, theh gave their best one away ;). Paine is a useful 2nd or 3rd but he's not a no.1 and I dont know about Freeman, but if he was a star I'd suggest we would have heard more of him. Maybe Brisbane are looking for that ace in the forward line rather than a mixture of low face cards

Can someone explain to me why Brisbane would take McCarthy after recrouting JOnathan Freeman and Jackson Paine?

They've realised how even the draft becomes after 30+ and therefore, they will opt to get the best tall available to them (McCarthy) and then load up on midfield foot-soldiers with their picks in the 20's.

They would have looked at it like this:

Good Midfielder/Flanker (Pick 7) + decent midfielders/flankers (in the 20's) or/

Good KPF (Pick 7) + decent midfielders/flankers (in the 20's).

On the one side, we have gossip, innuendo, and rumour, none if which are confirmed, none of which you will give sources for, none of which really concerns those of us interested in finding players who can play.

On the other side we have the objective, factual evidence of Thorp's performance, his excellent record representing his club and representing the state, his growing collection of awards and accolades.

If you were being reasonable, you would see why there are a number of people here who have an interest Thorp and what becomes of him.
:rolleyes:

Same reason why we would take him, but already have Waite, Casboult and Rowe. The main guy is oft-injured and you can't trust the other two to get the job done. They want a big KPF monster and other than a couple of ruck/CHF prospects in round 2, after round 1, the cupboard is bare.

If McCarthy slides, it wouldn't completely surprise me if we called his name, but I'm hoping for a ball hawking mid.

They should do what the NBA do and include the draft in the trade period.

Say a club like BRIS wants a certain kid that they couldn't attract in a trade, they could trade some of their 2nds to a club like ADEL for a player once ADEL see a player they want is still on the board and they want him bad. Eg: Ricky Henderson for a 2nd to get Couch's little brother.

Or if COLL take McCarthy at 6 leaving BRIS cold. They had interest in Caz was a report and they then trade us a 2nd for the Bolt. We use that to get a slider or take a shot at Brown/Conlon as replacements.

Thoughts on including the draft as an extension of trade period?

Seven days to the draft: Meet gun prospect Billy Hartung
7_Billy-Hartung_Draft-Countdown-Article-Image.jpg

Interview and highlights
Seven days to the draft: Meet gun prospect Billy Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back