List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Thorp is not on the radar and he doesn't fit what the club is looking for.

Reports are we have enquired. Doesn't mean we will draft him by any means! But to say he is not on the radar appears to be slightly off the mark.

This discussion is interesting imo, considdering Andrew Krakour was drafted to Collingwood during Mick Malthouse's time there. While the club has taken a conservative approach in recent times, I daresay Mick (going by his track record) is more likely to take a punt (not saying he will or won't in this situation - none of us know for sure!). If Mick wants Thorp and he is available he will be at the club next year.

I don't care either way honestly. But I think there could be a small probability that some could end up being surprised on draft day.

Reports are we have enquired. Doesn't mean we will draft him by any means! But to say he is not on the radar appears to be slightly off the mark.
Herald-Sun doesn't count as a source.

The media can get away with putting Thorp's name alongside Freo, the Dogs and Carlton because he's a KPF.

Herald-Sun doesn't count as a source.

The media can get away with putting Thorp's name alongside Freo, the Dogs and Carlton because he's a KPF.

In your opinion it may not count as a source. It's nice to tilt it that way considdering the line you're taking. But you don't know this for sure. Henceforth why there is open discussion. There very may well be truth to it.

If we listened to reports we'd have Didak and Cross.

EVERYONE gets linked to Carlton.

Never said the report was true. We don't know if it is true or not. And even if Thorp doesn't end up getting drafted to a club we may never know for sure if enquiries were made by our club or not.

Just think we shouldn't be so closed off in this discussion considdering there is no official public stance by the club on this particular player (ala Western Bulldogs). Each to their own.

Never said the report was true. We don't know if it is true or not. And even if Thorp doesn't end up getting drafted to a club we may never know for sure if enquiries were made by our club or not.

Just think we shouldn't be so closed off in this discussion considdering there is no official public stance by the club on this particular player (ala Western Bulldogs). Each to their own.
I tolerated the talk for a while but it's becoming an obsession for some and then there's the doubting credible posters in an area that I would pay the most attention to.

I am a sports science student and bone stress reactions will take about 4 months of recovery max. for complete fractures, and that's with everything going well. The article states he can be back by Christmas with rest, if he is to slide down the order and we have the luck to nab him, I wouldn't have a problem as all as long as he is managed correctly unlike some players in the past years. I have confidence in our club these days to be good at management at those sort of things.
I'm just dreaming here but he'll fit in just fine with Sticks and Gibbs being from Glenelg
If we nab him, it'll be in the similar style as the bombers took heppell.
Let's pray our ass off and hope to the heavens.

Is there any chance of a recurring problem having this issue early on in the piece? Wonder what the causes are: genetic, training too hard (running), body growing too quickly?

I tolerated the talk for a while but it's becoming an obsession for some and then there's the doubting credible posters in an area that I would pay the most attention to.

All fair enough. But considdering the position we are in with our list and the need for a forward you can understand how there is an interest in this topic from fans and the supporter group. And while some posters may have credibility - and I for one second do not doubt that or question it - unless they're Shane Rogers, Mick Malthouse, or anyone involved with the club I'm sitting on the fench with this one. We are under a different coach with different philosophies now. Things could very well change from what we have become accustomed to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In your opinion it may not count as a source. It's nice to tilt it that way considdering the line you're taking. But you don't know this for sure. Henceforth why there is open discussion. There very may well be truth to it.
Is this any different to you voting for Thorp and hoping for a Hail Mary shot from mid-court?

Carlton aren't the type of club that leaks to outsiders who we're interested in.

News Ltd. ran that story after Jason McCartney had ruled out recruiting Thorp on SEN.

Interesting that Rogers commented about recruiting the right players for Carlton after that article was published.

Dogs ruled him out for the second time this week.

Hazard a guess that's it just Thorp's manager using the media and releasing highlights to sell his client as a manager.

Is there any chance of a recurring problem having this issue early on in the piece? Wonder what the causes are: genetic, training too hard (running), body growing too quickly?

Bone stress reactions can be caused by a variety of reasons, it could be nutrients, overloading that part of the body, footwear, or body mechanics. A common cause would be a large amount of running on hard surfaces. It could be from previous history of similar injuries as well but I have not heard anything on that front about his history of injuries so let's hope it's not a reoccurring thing.

I for one dont necessarily doubt the information, although by no means do I entirely believe it
I do doubt the thinking process that that information equates to him being undraftable
It would take a lot to raise enough of an issue to cross him off the list in my mind
And I think a lot on hear are making the jump to quickly

Twomey saying that we went over to W.A. to visit Cripps at home.

We're obviously serious on him to head out that far to say hello.

There is a fair bit of talk now that we're very keen on Cripps.

I can't say I know much about him or the rest of the draft pool, but from what we know I'd be somewhat disappointed should we use pick 13 on him.

Would be very happy to use pick 39 on him if he's available but 13 does seem to me to be a bit of a stretch.

With talk lately surrounding our interest in Dunstan and Cripps I'd be thrilled to see them both in Navy Blue at the end of the draft.

Knightmare has just updated his Phantom and now has Sheed coming our way.
Sheed may fall to us but look at his selections at 39 and 51. :oops: Is he having a laugh?

I'd scream blue murder if we drafted MT at 39 when Tsitas, Giles and Nankervis were still available. :mad:

Likewise at 51, to select a 26yo depth midfielder who'd struggle to get a game. Thus passing on Marsh, Harvey, J Kolodjashnij and Honeychurch. o_O

MM known for drafting people you wouldnt necessarily expect. I dont think it will be so much who will fall to us so much as who will we decide to select that we maybe would have though would go in the late teens to ensure we get them at #13. Based on purely judging how they presented themselves I think Cripps seems an impressive young man with plenty of development still to go and would fit into our culture. Seems a genuine character, excitable, and fits our needs. If you look at his personality next to Menzel I think they are very similar and based on the fact we went for that last year you can reasonably expect that is what we are also looking for in terms of our culture.

Culture can be described in decisions. The reason why I think we would likely take Cripps based on character is the reason why we would never consider taking Thorpe. And thats our culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back