Position 2013 SC midfielders

Which midfield rookies will you be selecting?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Ablett's scores have to taper off a bit, his peak has passed and yes he will still score solid scores but IMO I think he might lose 10-15 points of his overall average.
That person that commented above about not starting him makes a valid point, if he averages lets say around 125 his price will plummet to around the $620k mark.
I know in years past it was ludicrous to not have the great man in your starting team because you had to burn 2 trades to get him in, have a feeling this year it could be different.

Every year people don't pick Ablett, every year they regret it. You're behind the eight ball if you don't have him.

Surely Ablett's scores have to taper off a bit, his peak has passed and yes he will still score solid scores but IMO I think he might lose 10-15 points of his overall average.
That person that commented above about not starting him makes a valid point, if he averages lets say around 125 his price will plummet to around the $620k mark.
I know in years past it was ludicrous to not have the great man in your starting team because you had to burn 2 trades to get him in, have a feeling this year it could be different.

Have a re-think, over and over again - GAJ first picked with the captaincy straight away, check out the first 9 rounds (apart from the swans in Sydney it is arelatively easy draw)

What reason do you think he would drop off? It's all good in theory but if he goes 160/140/140 and you have spent the money elsewhere then you are going to have a hell of a time trying to get him back in, it might be Round 8 until you can afford to get him back and by then you have missed possibly 100's of points. I'd rather have him in and forget if he has a slow start because he's a keeper and it really doesn't matter what his price does because he's never going to be traded besides a serious injury.

Worth noting who Ablett plays in round 1, too.

He traditionally goes fairly poorly against the Saints, with Jones hanging off him at every turn. Not sure if Jones will be playing though?

Last game against St Kilda he only scored 64 but prior to that going back to 2008, 143, 138, 154, 123, 105, 136, 115. Still a pretty safe bet.

If anything, Swan usually starts the season relatively slowly and ramps up his scoring production in the second half of the season, Ablett usually scores hundreds of points more than his nearest rival by the time the first bye rolls in, by that stage it's too late to make up those points if you don't have him.

Last game against St Kilda he only scored 64 but prior to that going back to 2008, 143, 138, 154, 123, 105, 136, 115. Still a pretty safe bet.

The Saints have paid him no respect the last couple of years, I'd say that will change in rd.1

If anything, Swan usually starts the season relatively slowly and ramps up his scoring production in the second half of the season, Ablett usually scores hundreds of points more than his nearest rival by the time the first bye rolls in, by that stage it's too late to make up those points if you don't have him.
Swan averaged around 145 in his first 4 games in 2011?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh shit really, gee better not take him if his 3 game average drops below 100!

Easy way is just to put a rookie like Wines or Viney on the field during these 3 rounds and bench Swan. Win Win hey!

Never said not to take him you impoverished troglodyte, just substantiated the claim that his second half of seasons sees an amplification in his scoring relative to his first halves, in contrast to Ablett.

What's the deal with Brad Crouch, a popular selection, talked up a lot, but where does he fit into the Crows side. Their midfield looks pretty good already. Does he take a position like Petrenko or Wright? I have this feeling he could end up with the vest. I mean I can't think of too many players that don't deserve their spot on the list.

I'm a little concerned with my midfield, I have Pendlebury (C), Cotchin (VC), M Murphy, Goddard, Moloney, Monfries, Wines, Omeara, Viney and one more unsure yet, possibly crouch?

Should I can Monfries on the idea that he may play midfield and get to 100ppg, or should I look at another rookie? I don't think I should have two 300K players in the midfield.

McLean BOG again in todays intra club match, really thinking about putting him in over Murphy as a risky unique. Will watch with interest in his NAB cup games. :cool:

What's the deal with Brad Crouch, a popular selection, talked up a lot, but where does he fit into the Crows side. Their midfield looks pretty good already. Does he take a position like Petrenko or Wright? I have this feeling he could end up with the vest. I mean I can't think of too many players that don't deserve their spot on the list.

I'm a little concerned with my midfield, I have Pendlebury (C), Cotchin (VC), M Murphy, Goddard, Moloney, Monfries, Wines, Omeara, Viney and one more unsure yet, possibly crouch?

Should I can Monfries on the idea that he may play midfield and get to 100ppg, or should I look at another rookie? I don't think I should have two 300K players in the midfield.

Goddard in the Mid is a mistake IMO, plenty of good midfielders, but the defenders that are guaranteed to average 100+ are rare (assuming the worst doesn't happen with the dons).

No Ablett is questionable.

Moloney and Monfries I don't agree with at all, you don't want a midfielder that is going to only average 100, even if he comes at 100k less. Better off getting a super premium (Cotchin, Ablett, Swan, etc.) and getting a rookie that you can upgrade later. Especially with 30 trades, your midfield should be all 110+ppg players by 2/3 of the way through the season.

Goddard in the Mid is a mistake IMO, plenty of good midfielders, but the defenders that are guaranteed to average 100+ are rare (assuming the worst doesn't happen with the dons).

No Ablett is questionable.

Moloney and Monfries I don't agree with at all, you don't want a midfielder that is going to only average 100, even if he comes at 100k less. Better off getting a super premium (Cotchin, Ablett, Swan, etc.) and getting a rookie that you can upgrade later. Especially with 30 trades, your midfield should be all 110+ppg players by 2/3 of the way through the season.

Cheers, makes sense, I do think Moloney is capable of 110, but not Monfries. I still think Ablett will play a less demanding role this season, Blight made the comment last year, that the young coasters need to get more of the ball, at the expense of Ablett. I'm thinking he will come down to about 660 or so.

Cheers, makes sense, I do think Moloney is capable of 110, but not Monfries. I still think Ablett will play a less demanding role this season, Blight made the comment last year, that the young coasters need to get more of the ball, at the expense of Ablett. I'm thinking he will come down to about 660 or so.

Ablett has been a proving high scorer no matter what team he plays with. His last 4 years averages have been 140, 129, 127 and 138. He averaged 140 in 09 when he had a gun geelond midfield around him. Don't listen to what Blight says the guys a flog, if you leave ablett out its at your own peril. You put him in now he's a lock for captain everyweek and you won't have to touch him all season.

Ive been thinkin a little more about the whole no Ablett thing, and I actually think it isn't a bad idea, instead of gone more premiums and used that little extra cash from Ablett - Cotchin and upgraded a midpricer to another underpriced premium.

What are people's thoughts on Travis Boak?

Has all the promise in the world to be in the same B+ - A category but seems to lack that consistency you want from your true premiums. At $481,000 I think it is worth a punt no the guy and hope that the extra burden of the Port Adelaide captaincy can inspire him to become a real weapon and take his average from 90's to the 100+ ppg.

Ive been thinkin a little more about the whole no Ablett thing, and I actually think it isn't a bad idea, instead of gone more premiums and used that little extra cash from Ablett - Cotchin and upgraded a midpricer to another underpriced premium.

Has all the promise in the world to be in the same B+ - A category but seems to lack that consistency you want from your true premiums. At $481,000 I think it is worth a punt no the guy and hope that the extra burden of the Port Adelaide captaincy can inspire him to become a real weapon and take his average from 90's to the 100+ ppg.

I like Mundy/Fyfe around that price range ahead of Boak, he could well make the jump though.

Boak could easily hit 110+ especially given he's going to have some bigger bodies around him this year. But this would be your risk pick. I still think he'll give you 100ppg at a minimum.

Boak could easily hit 110+ especially given he's going to have some bigger bodies around him this year. But this would be your risk pick. I still think he'll give you 100ppg at a minimum.

I think he could be a risk worth taking. A proven supercoach scorer who just needs to take another step to be a SC gem.

Any news from the Port board RobbieGray17 about the young kid Colquhon getting a game? I am tossing up wheter to pick him or Brett Goodes in the mid rookies to allow for MPP purposes. Most people will be picking Goddard, Gibbs, Scotland etc in the backs but would personally like to gain an advantage with MPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back