Rumour 2013 Trade and Free Agent Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

The suggested trade of Dal and Joey was purely my opinion and I don't see it playing out as I suggested with Freo, as said Bond is very conservative with his early draft selections.

On Spencer, he's highly rated at the club and only drafted last year. He's still raw and has a bit of risk factor in terms of how he develops. A gifted athlete but came into the system a bit lazy relying on his talent. I couldn't see him being traded unless the Swans somehow find some kind of loophole ;)

So suddenly Chris Bond, the guy that baulked at giving Brisbane a single first round pick to get the one thing we desperately needed...

We offered one, weren't they demanding our first rounder and our compo pick that we used on Croz?

We offered one, weren't they demanding our first rounder and our compo pick that we used on Croz?

No, not how I remembered it, we tried to be smart and offered the compo only. Brisbane wanted 16 and we said no. We only suddenly offered 16 when Schwab stuck his nose in, by then it was too late. If we'd offered 16 at the start would have been done and dusted on the first day of trade week.

I think we will need to take a big crack at trade week this year because our best hope for a flag is in the next 2 years.
We have no replacement for Pav heck we don't even have a 2nd key forward to play alongside him.
Mcpharlin I believe we have replacements, ofcourse may not be as good but are good enough to get the job done.
Also Lyon is very strict and after 5 years playing under him the players are mentally drained and need a refreshing change.
So our best hope is while Pav and Mcpharlin are still here.
Plus in 3 years goldcoast will probably be unstoppable.

If we wasted selections on guys past their best like Montagna and Dal Santo I would be extremely pissed off.
If we plan on taking a mid from another team make sure its a bloody good one and one still performing at their best.

No, not how I remembered it, we tried to be smart and offered the compo only. Brisbane wanted 16 and we said no. We only suddenly offered 16 when Schwab stuck his nose in, by then it was too late. If we'd offered 16 at the start would have been done and dusted on the first day of trade week.

A bit of googling would indicate your version is closer than mine, though I don't think they would have accepted pick 16 as quickly as you make out given this quote:

"We always said to Fremantle that we want their first pick (No.16) and preferably something in addition to it," Kerr said.

That's definitely how I remember it. We offered our Palmer compo but they wanted the higher pick. We wanted a first round pick for that draft so traded our compo out for pick 20 but by then they had gone to Melbourne.

There is no way we would have traded the compo pick if we weren't prepared to trade it just so we could use it in one of the most compromised drafts in history.

I think we will need to take a big crack at trade week this year because our best hope for a flag is in the next 2 years.
We have no replacement for Pav heck we don't even have a 2nd key forward to play alongside him.
Mcpharlin I believe we have replacements, ofcourse may not be as good but are good enough to get the job done.
Also Lyon is very strict and after 5 years playing under him the players are mentally drained and need a refreshing change.
So our best hope is while Pav and Mcpharlin are still here.
Plus in 3 years goldcoast will probably be unstoppable.

If we wasted selections on guys past their best like Montagna and Dal Santo I would be extremely pissed off.
If we plan on taking a mid from another team make sure its a bloody good one and one still performing at their best.
Dal Santo is past his best, but just check out Montagnas stat's and say that he wouldnt be useful.

Since when has a decent trade been done on the first day of trade week? Pick 16 was offered on Wednesday, before that it was tied up in a bid for Tom Mitchell and then the super trade involving O'Meara back to GWS that the AFL put a stop to.

Montagna would be excellent. These saints players know Ross, and he knows them well. They would be great fits. Montagna is a hard running ball magnet who is still in good shape. Would love to have him in the side, even if just for 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Roo requests a trade to maybe finish his career of with a premiership at a club able to do that for him would the Saints give him the go ahead and would that constitute spiritually bankrupting them

If he asks that does not spiritually bankrupt them it just makes them very sad (and a basketcase)

I'm also a bit wary of too much short term topping up. Wouldn't be so bad if we can get some guys for free to allow us to continue drafting youngsters to keep building the list, but my fear then is the older youngsters (Lachie, Sutty, Shero, Michie, etc) start asking for trades if they can't get any gametime.

If we do it right we should have a second window opening up once the class of 08 are the club leaders, but that isn't going to happen if we get left with a gaping hole where our 50-100 game players should be because they were all spurned in favour of a succession of 28-30 year olds from other clubs.

Since when has a decent trade been done on the first day of trade week? Pick 16 was offered on Wednesday, before that it was tied up in a bid for Tom Mitchell and then the super trade involving O'Meara back to GWS that the AFL put a stop to.

Wellingham to Eagles for 17, was very early, can't remember if 1st day

Even that obvious trade took until Tuesday arvo to happen, and WC didn't need pick 17 for any other trades

The Clark trade was an obvious trade too, we just stuffed it up
But anyway, I am buggered if I am going to pre-judge Bond again on his past misdemeanours, I have complete faith that he will do us proud this trade period :)

But anyway, I am buggered if I am going to pre-judge Bond again on his past misdemeanours, I have complete faith that he will do us proud this trade period :)

I wanted Clark, but the villain in this was Clark.

If he hadn't of flopped for the cash, the deal would of been done for 20.

Montagna would be excellent. These saints players know Ross, and he knows them well. They would be great fits. Montagna is a hard running ball magnet who is still in good shape. Would love to have him in the side, even if just for 2 years.

Absolutely, Montagna is a gun and he loves ripping it up at Subi.

I have a strong feeling though that this trade period for Freo will end up like most of them, extremely anti-climatic.

I'm also a bit wary of too much short term topping up. Wouldn't be so bad if we can get some guys for free to allow us to continue drafting youngsters to keep building the list, but my fear then is the older youngsters (Lachie, Sutty, Shero, Michie, etc) start asking for trades if they can't get any gametime.

If we do it right we should have a second window opening up once the class of 08 are the club leaders, but that isn't going to happen if we get left with a gaping hole where our 50-100 game players should be because they were all spurned in favour of a succession of 28-30 year olds from other clubs.

Totally agree with this and feel it's going to be a problem for us as a lot of our best players are already 28+.

Unfortunately it's the way Lyon does things- hopefully it's not biting us in a couple of years like it did to St Kilda.

Freo didn't stuff up that trade in the slightest. We held all the chips, because he wanted to come home. Brisbane either had to accept pick 20 or lose him for nothing. The fact is that Mitch Clark's a greedy pr!ck that took money over his supposedly home sickness. We weren't willing to offer that much money, so he went to Melbourne. He deserves to be there, right at the bottom of the ladder, no sympathy at all, hope he never plays finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2013 Trade and Free Agent Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back