Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

No I mean his contract was around 550k if your willing to pay him that then go ahead but his foot is fooked

Yep which is why no-one will pay him that amount. That said if you are in a 'window' and you had the cash, you could take a gamble on him, however it would be an absolute gamble unfortunately

Yep which is why no-one will pay him that amount. That said if you are in a 'window' and you had the cash, you could take a gamble on him, however it would be an absolute gamble unfortunately
Personally don't believe He'l want to leave the saints anyway

Garrick Ibbotson in exchange for Hawthorn third Round draft pick. We need a lock down small defender type and Ibbotson would suit our back six perfectly.

Ibbo has had a fantastic year and third rounder wouldn't do any justice to his current form.

OK, I was bored at work today so I had a go at some trades.
100% hypothetical & of course there will be some inequalities, particularly pro Freo (my team)
so here goes

Adelaide lose McKernan to Brisbane, but gain Polec. Polec worth around 10, McKernan around 30-40. Lose Vince to Sydney for Vince.

Brisbane gain McKernan, but lose Polec to Adelaide. Gain Goldsack from Collingwood for their 2nd round pick. I'd keep the second round pick personally.

Carlton gain Watts from Melbourne and Melbourne's 3rd round pick, but lose their first round pick to Melbourne. Surely Carlton wouldn't pay this much for Watts? Lose Warnock to St Kilda for Saints 3rd round pick. Think another club would pay more than that. Maybe second rounder from GWS, although I know Blues fans over-rate Warnock. Lose Yarran to Hawthorn for Hawks 2nd round pick. Eagles would give up our second round pick in a heartbeat, and I don't think the blues would trade yarran for less than a top 12-15 pick, blues fans would probably say top 10. Delist Laidler. Gain Markovic from PSD.

Collingwood gain Sylvia the free agent, but lose D Thomas the free agent. lose Goldsack to Brisbane, but gain Brisbane's 2nd round pick.

Essendon lose Colyer to West Coast for WC 2nd round pick. We need pace, but we also need size. Our midfield sucks. I'd probably prefer to keep our second round pick. Lose Gumbleton to Richmond, but gain A Smith from WC & WC 3rd round pick (3 way trade). lose Hille the free agent

Fremantle lose first round draft pick & C Pearce for J Riewoldt. n/a as signed today lose Sutcliffe to Port, but gain M Shaw from Port. Lose Silvagni, but gain St Kilda 4th round pick, which is ontraded to Port Adelaide in the Shaw/Sutcliffe trade.

Geelong lose M Brown to Western Bulldogs, but gain E Wood from the Dogs. not sure if the cats would do this.

Gold Coast lose Gorringe to Port Power, gain Power 2nd round draft pick. No chance - worth much more than pick 30. Gain Laidler from PSD.

GWS lose T Adams to Richmond for Richmond 2nd round draft pick and B Griffiths & C Pearce who was ontraded via Richmond. Gain McEvoy plus St Kilda first round draft pick. McEvoy won't leave St Kilda. Lose first round draft pick to St Kilda. Gain Franklin the free agent.

Hawthorn lose Franklin the free agent. Gain Yarran from Carlton, but lose 2nd round draft pick.

Melbourne lose Watts and 3rd round draft pick to Carlton, but gain Carlton first round draft pick. Gain D Hille as free agent.

North Melbourne lose L Anthony to west coast, but gain Rosa from WC. What? Anthony is crap. Rosa is average. No way we'd do that trade. gain Cooney the free agent.

Port Adelaide lose M Shaw to Freo, but gain C Sutcliffe plus St Kilda 4th round pick ontraded from Freo. Gain Gorringe from GC, but lose 2nd round draft pick to GC.

Richmond lose J Riewoldt to Freo, Ben Griffiths and 2nd round draft pick to GWS, gain Freo 1st round draft pick & T Adams from GWS. Gain Gumbleton from Essendon, but lose Conca to wc (3 way trade). Lose McGuane the free agent.

St Kilda lose McEvoy and first round draft pick for GWS first round draft pick. Gain D Thomas the free agent. Gain R Warnock from Carlton for 3rd round draft pick. gain Silvagni from Freo for 4th round draft pick.

Sydney lose Grundy to Adelaide and gain Vince from Adelaide. Grundy worth more delist J White White would have some value now I think, even if it's low

West Coast gain Colyer from Essendon, but lose 2nd round draft pick. Gain Conca from Richmond, but lose A Smith to Essendon & 3rd round draft pick. what do we give up for conca? richmond would want a first round pick which we wouldn't give up. Gain L Anthony from North, but lose Rosa to North.

Western Bulldogs gain M Brown from Geelong, but lose E Wood to Cats. Gain J White from PSD. Gain McGuane the free agent. Delist Markovic.

I'm sure I will get howled down by a few people, but I had 50 minutes of down time & I had everything else done, so I just went for it.
Apologies for any serious undervaluation, but I tried to look for what I perceived to be needs in the most part.
I'll probably get zero correct.
Hope you enjoy the read & take it with a grain of salt. :thumbsu:

Good read. It's very tough to do. I think if anyone tried not many others would agree to any suggestions.

I too am bored at work so have put my comments next to each club.

If Gilbert was going cheap a few of the top clubs would have to think about taking him on. He was pretty good in the years the saints were playing finals

Yes but he has abysmal foot skills and that is probably a massive issue, especially today where this is where the top sides are apart from the rest. Gilbert won't help.

Yes but he has abysmal foot skills and that is probably a massive issue, especially today where this is where the top sides are apart from the rest. Gilbert won't help.
he played in St Kildas grand finals a few years ago footy hasn't changed much since then

he played in St Kildas grand finals a few years ago footy hasn't changed much since then

Oh yes it has and there is a reason why teams can't get away with rubbish kicks off the half back line. Footy is similar, but gameplans have changed. Look at your side- McVeigh, Malceski, etc...all elite kicks....look at my side...Goddard, Hibberd....elite kicks. Then you see Fisher. Now despite the fact he tries hard, he can't kick!

Oh yes it has and there is a reason why teams can't get away with rubbish kicks off the half back line. Footy is similar, but gameplans have changed. Look at your side- McVeigh, Malceski, etc...all elite kicks....look at my side...Goddard, Hibberd....elite kicks. Then you see Fisher. Now despite the fact he tries hard, he can't kick!
Fisher can't kick I beg the differ

Fisher can't kick I beg the differ

Meant Gilbert. Fisher is a pretty good kick off the half back line. Gilbert is beyond hopeless with footskills, his specialty the helicopter drop punt!

Meant Gilbert. Fisher is a pretty good kick off the half back line. Gilbert is beyond hopeless with footskills, his specialty the helicopter drop punt!
LRT is a terrible field kick for us but he still gets a game. Gilbert provides really good pressure and is a fantastic tackler

I can't imagine the Bombers will play hardball with Gumbleton. At the end of last year he had massive question marks over his health. We only offered him a 1 year deal, word was that he failed medicals at the couple of clubs he was courted by. I don't think he had a lot of currency, so the Dons weren't keen to offload him for bugger all. If he stays fit this year, he will have far more currency, which i'd imagine the Bombers would be content to collect on. As you say pick 19-20 would probably be accepted.

AHHAHAHHAHAAHHHAAAAA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LRT is a terrible field kick for us but he still gets a game. Gilbert provides really good pressure and is a fantastic tackler

So in a nutshell he tries hard...and note your defence has been much better without LRT there. If Gilbert could kick he would be a handy player but he can't.

So in a nutshell he tries hard...and note your defence has been much better without LRT there. If Gilbert could kick he would be a handy player but he can't.
Gilbert wouldn't fit in at Essendon cause he's not a downhill skier he actually knows how to play defence

Gilbert wouldn't fit in at Essendon cause he's not a downhill skier he actually knows how to play defence
Yes, the team with the third best PA doesn't know how to defend... Seriously, there's only 1 player in the top 30 that can be somewhat accused of being unable to defend is Jetta, and even then that's a 50/50 call

Yes, the team with the third best PA doesn't know how to defend... Seriously, there's only 1 player in the top 30 that can be somewhat accused of being unable to defend is Jetta, and even then that's a 50/50 call
Has Hurley laid a tackle in his life if he doesn't get the ball he just gives up. Stanton is the biggest downhill skier going around

Has Hurley laid a tackle in his life if he doesn't get the ball he just gives up. Stanton is the biggest downhill skier going around

Protip: if you want to have intelligent list managment discussion, don't act like an absolute prat

Protip: if you want to have intelligent list managment discussion, don't act like an absolute prat
Well have a look at the argument not every player especially a tall in your backline is going to have sublime skills Gilbert would be best 22 at alot of clubs.

Well have a look at the argument not every player especially a tall in your backline is going to have sublime skills Gilbert would be best 22 at alot of clubs.

Agreed.

There are plenty of ordinary kicks going around, but the clubs would never consider letting them go.

Swan
Fyfe
Martin
Heppell

Yes we really want a guy that kicks the ball straight to the opposition. Yes he tries hard, so did Mark Bolton for us.

Then you take him, if he is anywhere near EFC fans will lose it. We don't want him.

oh snap. you mean the key forward we drafted last year has only played 5 games in sanfl:eek:

im shocked. also , your stats are wrong. since he kicked 3 goals last game and 2 or 3 before he has more than 5. i think he has only played 3 or 4 at sanfl level as well. has kicked bags every week in the reserves. had to dislodge souths new high paid recruit chf to come into the side as well.

point being no one gives up a key forward excelling expectations so early for a nothing pick and nobody player.

What you said was a completely unfounded fabrication of the truth. Just pointing it out.

BTW we drafted a 19 year old KPF with our second pick in the rookie draft who has kicked 30 goals from 14 games in WAFL reserves. He is doing just as well as Shaw and has kicked 5 goals on three occasions despite playing a lot of time as a key defender.

So don't overrate your own players. And how is a player (Sutcliffe) who has played 15 AFL games considered a nobody player and the one who can barely crack SANFL league considered untouchable?

Some perspective would be good.

Yes we really want a guy that kicks the ball straight to the opposition. Yes he tries hard, so did Mark Bolton for us.

Gilbert's kicking was very good this year before he did his knee. He had the odd clanger but his kicking inside 50 was one of our best and he played as a tall wingman. I actually questioning if you've seen Gilbert at all this year as most of what you have said has been incorrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013: Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back