List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why I prefer Marchbank over Goddard is simple, because he wins a lot of the ball and marks every thing that comes at him
:eek:

Marchbank is said to have grown to 194-195cm (to be confirmed at Draft Camp obviously), if this is the case - he is rungs above Goddard IMO.

Better kick (off both sides off the body), better mark, and more of an ability to play as a swing man (plays better as a forward).

Reminds me of Lachie Henderson.

Marchbank is said to have grown to 194-195cm (to be confirmed at Draft Camp obviously), if this is the case - he is rungs above Goddard IMO.

Better kick (off both sides off the body), better mark, and more of an ability to play as a swing man (plays better as a forward).

Reckon he could play at CHF? Like the sound of him.

Yeah I think he can, he's done it once or twice before.

He's actually a very good mark on the lead, and his kicking skills are fantastic off both feet.

He provides flexibility in that he can play down back or go forward.
No wonder were interested then! Sounds great and its obviously no secret that we value flexibility very highly. Is he the sort to take big contested pack marks though (and if he is, can he do it consistently?). I really think we need a CHF who can just consistently present up the ground and take marks rather than a Gorilla FF (wouldn't mind both!) and seeing how Macca loves the ability to throw players around we could chuck him back at times and put Roberts or Roughy forward, would be a good set up.

Still want Liam Duggan with our first pick.

you should be a salesman? :D

because I'm sold :p obviously want to see more though, but I like the look of Laverde or Marchbank
some might think oh Laverde is just another midfielder, but he is more of a utility

Harrison Wigg at our second pick I wouldn't mind. Brett Anderson said 'he is the best kick of the footy he's seen, ever'. Big wraps.
a south australian noted for his kicking skills? lets definitely go for him :eek: but seriously, if Higgins netted us band 2 or 3
could take him with around that 3rd pick, would have to be an option..especially with how our clubs loves them so :rolleyes:

i don't think i really agree with any of the bolded. Goddard's got a beautiful foot and can both fly at the ball and go body to body. I don't think Marchbank's as good at imposing his body on a pack. Also Goddard's got way more runs on the board as a forward.

I like Marchbank, don't get me wrong, i understand why he's a big mover and will value his improvement up to now and for the rest of the year in perspective but i think people going off Goddard like this after a quiet-ish champs is over the top.

i don't think i really agree with any of the bolded. Goddard's got a beautiful foot and can both fly at the ball and go body to body. I don't think Marchbank's as good at imposing his body on a pack. Also Goddard's got way more runs on the board as a forward.

I like Marchbank, don't get me wrong, i understand why he's a big mover and will value his improvement up to now and for the rest of the year in perspective but i think people going off Goddard like this after a quiet-ish champs is over the top.
I've said it for the past 2 years though
when he goes forward, he is god awful the worst player to watch
Majak Daw has more game sense up forward then Goddard
at our first pick, we don't want an okay player
we want a star!

Goddard has a lot of good qualities, been a hard worker/professional
and he does put his body on the line, but he isn't as skilled as what you might think
I've seen him kick the ball out on the full 8 times in a row...

I've said it for the past 2 years though
when he goes forward, he is god awful the worst player to watch
Majak Daw has more game sense up forward then Goddard
at our first pick, we don't want an okay player
we want a bloody star!
disagree again. i do think back's his best spot and did as early as mid year last year but therefore i've been suprised at the snippets he's shown up forward. Goddard's starting to remind me a lot of Carlisle to be honest. Big kid, seems to do everything pretty well but needs to put it together. Has just as much star potential as Marchbank imo if not more. Write off Goddard's improvement at your peril

(Log in to remove this ad.)

disagree again. i do think back's his best spot and did as early as mid year last year but therefore i've been suprised at the snippets he's shown up forward. Goddard's starting to remind me a lot of Carlisle to be honest. Big kid, seems to do everything pretty well but needs to put it together. Has just as much star potential as Marchbank imo if not more. Write off Goddard's improvement at your peril
I'd bet five of my fingers that Goddard won't become a star, your move ;)

how many times have you watched him live, I have to ask?

I'd bet five of my fingers that Goddard won't become a star, your move ;)

how many times have you watched him live, I have to ask?
i've been in south america all year so i just saw him a few times last year, don't really want to have my opinion shut up because of it though. I think the way i see a lot of the available stats and information is pretty effective. hence my good record as a bf recruitor

i've been in south america all year so i just saw him a few times last year, don't really want to have my opinion shut up because of it though. I think the way i see a lot of the available stats and information is pretty effective. hence my good record as a bf recruitor
and yes from the vision i see too. expecting a "stats aren't everything" response. i get my hands on the most vision possible

not trying to shut your opinion up
I just don't rate him and probably never will
I just think we could do better at our first pick and I've seen him live about 5-6 times now
and he looks good in glimpses, but he reminds me so SO much of Jordan as a defender

people talk about how Jones is a second KPF and needs a star forward to help out, I think Goddard would be the same
lacks the killer edge of other players around him

and yes from the vision i see too. expecting a "stats aren't everything" response. i get my hands on the most vision possible
actually I was going to ask, what do you think are his strengths and what are his weaknesses? I bet you didn't expect that ;)

not trying to shut your opinion up
I just don't rate him and probably never will
I just think we could do better at our first pick and I've seen him live about 5-6 times now
and he looks good in glimpses, but he reminds me so SO much of Jordan as a defender

people talk about how Jones is a second KPF and needs a star forward to help out, I think Goddard would be the same
lacks the killer edge of other players around him

actually I was going to ask, what do you think are his strengths and what are his weaknesses? I bet you didn't expect that ;)
We can agree on this somewhat, they have some similarities. His strengths for mine are his ability to set up a pack defensively and either take the mark or kill the ball, he's got a nice kick long and short, think he can fly at the ball really well. In general he has good footy nous.

Weaknesses, i haven't seen him exploit the ground enough with his running, hence why people don't like him as a forward. It's like to see him stay in contests a bit more but have seen some of his issues there are pretty minute and fixable.

I'm like everyone, i don't think he'll be our star kpf but i know he'll be a very good afl kpp and usually later down the track we find out if they can add to it. He makes his imprint on the field more than i've seen from Marchbank and definitely can play taller which is a plus. Marchbank played reasonably small in the last two champs games and was exposed on Durdin clearly for size.

I'd see a Goddard Jaksch combo as an intriguing and positive off season for us. Would give us a chance to play around in the coming years

We can agree on this somewhat, they have some similarities. His strengths for mine are his ability to set up a pack defensively and either take the mark or kill the ball, he's got a nice kick long and short, think he can fly at the ball really well. In general he has good footy nous.

Weaknesses, i haven't seen him exploit the ground enough with his running, hence why people don't like him as a forward. It's like to see him stay in contests a bit more but have seen some of his issues there are pretty minute and fixable.

I'm like everyone, i don't think he'll be our star kpf but i know he'll be a very good afl kpp and usually later down the track we find out if they can add to it. He makes his imprint on the field more than i've seen from Marchbank and definitely can play taller which is a plus. Marchbank played reasonably small in the last two champs games and was exposed on Durdin clearly for size.

I'd see a Goddard Jaksch combo as an intriguing and positive off season for us. Would give us a chance to play around in the coming years
I admit I haven't watched Marchbank closely at all, just the same
mostly seen snippets, of course have seen him live; but neither really done anything that screamed to pick them

it was a pretty disappointing Champs, for most of the players that were talked up prior to it

and I don't REALLY want either to be honest
I want another gun midfielder that can play across the half back
ESPECIALLY if we lose Higgins

you know how KPPs take time, so any KPP we take in this draft wouldn't really be for next year
it'd be for 4-6 years time
a lot of the later KPP picks aren't that much less talented then the ones been talked up imo

Gotta say I've added Toby McLean to the list of players I am going to watch very closely. Can't believe I didn't take note of this guy earlier. I actually wouldn't mind him seems to set up as many goals as he has kicked this year and has some serious x factor I think our forward line lacks. God he must be a nightmare to matchup on....

Gotta say I've added Toby McLean to the list of players I am going to watch very closely. Can't believe I didn't take note of this guy earlier. I actually wouldn't mind him seems to set up as many goals as he has kicked this year and has some serious x factor I think our forward line lacks. God he must be a nightmare to matchup on....
I'd have never of guessed after your last couple of posts ;) other players will emerge to, just hope that anyone we take is fit in their draft year; players with a bad injury history...nup, no thanks :oops:

I'd have never of guessed after your last couple of posts ;) other players will emerge to, just hope that anyone we take is fit in their draft year; players with a bad injury history...nup, no thanks :oops:

Haha guess I made it obvious what I want is a group of forwards that will be nightmares to match up on McLean has been incredibly good the last few weeks and has that leap and is rather humbled that video that people are so hyped about that mark. Seems to have a level head.

Thing is one of the other TAC cup sides didn't list him and told him to go to oakleigh so he did and has been incredible for oakleigh all year. Can't remember what team it was but they must be kicking themselves now. Shows good character to be able to move over to oakleigh dispite being rejected by that other team and yhen to play as he has. The little fella must have the heart of phar lap

Love your's and david1's work but could you please give us some further info/context about the players you raise like this? ie what position does McLean play, height etc?

Love your's and david1's work but could you please give us some further info/context about the players you raise like this? ie what position does McLean play, height etc?
small forward, like a Jamie Elliot
he is 179cm and can take some big marks

I'm not sure if there is room for another small forward, especially if we take Darcy Macpherson next year
who I believe is also a small forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back