List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think i really agree with any of the bolded. Goddard's got a beautiful foot and can both fly at the ball and go body to body. I don't think Marchbank's as good at imposing his body on a pack. Also Goddard's got way more runs on the board as a forward.

I think we may have to agree to disagree. It certainly is interesting though seeing other perspectives from different people.

I think Marchbank is a sound kick of the ball, and he has it over Goddard in both precision, kicking technique/action and more importantly decision making.

I think Marchbank has displayed better leading patterns as a forward (albeit with limited time there), and comes across as more of a general.

When I look at both skill sets that players have, I believe Marchbank's will transition better to the AFL (especially if he's said to have grown in height).

I wouldn't be unhappy with either though on our list, I think both have scope for further development (as most draftees do), I just see a more comfortable transition for Marchbank.

I think your opinion of Goddard/Jaksch being a good return is pretty spot on.

Last edited:
you should be a salesman? :D

because I'm sold :p obviously want to see more though, but I like the look of Laverde or Marchbank
some might think oh Laverde is just another midfielder, but he is more of a utility

I think LaVerde might be a bolter, some of the more knowledgeable draft watchers on our board are talking about him and Ahern being in contention for our first selection (#6).

I think LaVerde might be a bolter, some of the more knowledgeable draft watchers on our board are talking about him and Ahern being in contention for our first selection (#6).
the past few drafts I've watched, some of the players I thought went late/early; based on their performances
but the recruiters have watched them for years, in a lot of cases
I heard Bontempelli had been on our radar a while, probably helped we drafted Hrovat from the same club; the year before

the best part about Laverde, is he could really play any position on the ground (except ruck of course), tall and big bodied and at times elusive
if he gets compared to Scott Pendlebury, that will make it 3 in 3 years heh but I think where Bontempelli could play in the midfield and rest forward
Laverde could play in the back line and pinch hit in the midfield, hoping the kid has a massive tank as well
because I have a sneaking suspicion we want players that would be able to play pretty early next year ;)

I admit I haven't watched Marchbank closely at all, just the same
mostly seen snippets, of course have seen him live; but neither really done anything that screamed to pick them

it was a pretty disappointing Champs, for most of the players that were talked up prior to it

and I don't REALLY want either to be honest
I want another gun midfielder that can play across the half back
ESPECIALLY if we lose Higgins

you know how KPPs take time, so any KPP we take in this draft wouldn't really be for next year
it'd be for 4-6 years time
a lot of the later KPP picks aren't that much less talented then the ones been talked up imo
You like Ellis as a classy mid that can play across half-back?? Or doesn't win enough footy for McCartney/dalrymple?

with our recruiting guys not caving into selecting 'safe' in the first round (macrae the bolter, stringer the invalid, bontempelli the 'reach'), is there a guy that might get selected at ~6 that isn't regarded as the sure thing...jake lever?

You like Ellis as a classy mid that can play across half-back?? Or doesn't win enough footy for McCartney/dalrymple?
at our first pick as it stands now? probably not
the only way I expect him to be at our second rounder is because the recruiters go nuts on the KPPs
Ellis is really good at spotting a leading forward up on the chest though, from what I saw across the Champs anyway

with our recruiting guys not caving into selecting 'safe' in the first round (macrae the bolter, stringer the invalid, bontempelli the 'reach'), is there a guy that might get selected at ~6 that isn't regarded as the sure thing...jake lever?
sure thing as a star or sure thing as a good player? probably Angus Brayshaw

I said it before as well, De Goey might be on our radar; especially if we notch a few more wins and other teams drop off

another big bodied & tall midfielder that can play multiple positions, puts his head over the ball and uses it well inside and on the outside

Last edited:
sure thing as a star or sure thing as a good player?

was referring to the sure thing as a safe pick. lower risk, lower (relatively) reward. brayshaw sounds like the man. just know what you're going to get. ollie wines another one that fits the bill.

we've gone stringer, macrae and bonts with the past three top 10 picks, who were/are much less certain in their projections.

it really is a ballsy call - miss badly with a top 6 pick and folks don't let you forget.

I'm with Dav1d in the fact I don't think Goddard will ever be a KPF at AFL level, let alone a gun/star KPF (and rewind 5-6 months ago i was hoping he would be available at our pick) reckon he will be more your second tall option which wouldn't work for our forward line with our hopes of getting a KPF to take teams number one defender allowing Jones to play as our second tall. However i agree with Zgope I think Goddard will make it as a KPP just down back rather than forward. Would prefer Durdin or Marchbank though opposed to Goddard, I do rate Durdin higher than most on this board though. I still think Talia will make it though so i wouldn't mind Laverde if his available at our pick, not sure we can lose with any of Durdin, Laverde or Marchbank.

small forward, like a Jamie Elliot
he is 179cm and can take some big marks

I'm not sure if there is room for another small forward, especially if we take Darcy Macpherson next year
who I believe is also a small forward
Great thanks for the info.

And no, I think we have enough of them.

Plays nore as a medium forward Dav1d (dispite his height). I just think we lack a few guys who are geniune goal kickers even amoungst our smalls, most are just small midfielders come forward who on their day can kick 3 or 4 rather than take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick 6 or 7. MacPherson seems to be more of the same in that way just a small midfielder come forward.

Plays nore as a medium forward Dav1d (dispite his height). I just think we lack a few guys who are geniune goal kickers even amoungst our smalls, most are just small midfielders come forward who on their day can kick 3 or 4 rather than take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick 6 or 7. MacPherson seems to be more of the same in that way just a small midfielder come forward.
but at 179cm that isn't what he'd be classed as at the next level up
doesn't mean I don't think we'd pick him up with a later pick/rookie pick
2w7l4pd.jpg

:p

was referring to the sure thing as a safe pick. lower risk, lower (relatively) reward. brayshaw sounds like the man. just know what you're going to get. ollie wines another one that fits the bill.

we've gone stringer, macrae and bonts with the past three top 10 picks, who were/are much less certain in their projections.

it really is a ballsy call - miss badly with a top 6 pick and folks don't let you forget.
with KPPs it can be expected, at least some of the time
on TAC Future stars they said how KPP and Outside midfielders are the least likely to succeed
Inside midfielders the most successful and general forwards/defenders next
I can't remember where the rucks rated

I'm with Dav1d in the fact I don't think Goddard will ever be a KPF at AFL level, let alone a gun/star KPF (and rewind 5-6 months ago i was hoping he would be available at our pick) reckon he will be more your second tall option which wouldn't work for our forward line with our hopes of getting a KPF to take teams number one defender allowing Jones to play as our second tall. However i agree with Zgope I think Goddard will make it as a KPP just down back rather than forward. Would prefer Durdin or Marchbank though opposed to Goddard, I do rate Durdin higher than most on this board though. I still think Talia will make it though so i wouldn't mind Laverde if his available at our pick, not sure we can lose with any of Durdin, Laverde or Marchbank.

I wanted Goddard 6-7 months ago, but I just keep seeing more and thinking how we should be able to do better
I haven't seen enough of Durdin or Marchbank (think its easier to notice Goddard because of his light hair) I thought the Jack Watts comparisons were a bit silly though, sure he is an athletic tall but he puts his body over the ball and attacks the contest

Ellis is Macrae all over again.
How so? Tall elusive midfielder? I think even GrandBlue would like the way Ellis kicks it ;)

but at 179cm that isn't what he'd be classed as at the next level up
doesn't mean I don't think we'd pick him up with a later pick/rookie pick
2w7l4pd.jpg

:p

We'll continue to disagree he is in the class that issort of inbetween medium and small he plays like a medium beating them in the air (3rd in tac cup for contested marks) and has skills that you'd classify with a small when it is on the ground. If he is there with our last pick why not? He sets up goals (1st for goal asists) which we are struggling to kick atm and kicks them himself (4th in goals kicked in Tac cup) get a tall earlier. Just think that at the moment our only genuine forward who could kick 40 plus goals in a year is Crameri we need to continue to develop guys like hunter and find a group who could kick the goals. I don't care if it is a small or a tall really so long as they are dangerous. McKenzie and McLean fit this build in different rounds of this draft ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll continue to disagree he is in the class that issort of inbetween medium and small he plays like a medium beating them in the air (3rd in tac cup for contested marks) and has skills that you'd classify with a small when it is on the ground. If he is there with our last pick why not? He sets up goals (1st for goal asists) which we are struggling to kick atm and kicks them himself (4th in goals kicked in Tac cup) get a tall earlier. Just think that at the moment our only genuine forward who could kick 40 plus goals in a year is Crameri we need to continue to develop guys like hunter and find a group who could kick the goals. I don't care if it is a small or a tall really so long as they are dangerous. McKenzie and McLean fit this build in different rounds of this draft ;)
fair point
I just think we should be more patient with the smalls we have, for now
because there might be a gun small we want next year, even if we don't commit to MacPherson

also.... I see that Knightmare has Tom Lamb going to us in the second round, not sure if that would happen
after socking a player at the Champs and been known to have bit of an attitude

but he did say its more the range where he thinks players will go, not necessarily where they'll end up at
because he'll probably change it a lot with cut/pasting of their profiles once he has a fair idea of who will go where

Hey guys. I've been wondering this for a while. If the dogs didn't want to draft a forward with their first pick (given McCartin, Wright and Durdin will probably be gone by then), do you think there's a chance your club might draft a mid and try and trade to get a forward like Josh Walker from Geelong?
I spose the dilemma is that conversely you could wait another year and try and snag a mccarthy/patton or boyd from GWS.

Hey guys. I've been wondering this for a while. If the dogs didn't want to draft a forward with their first pick (given McCartin, Wright and Durdin will probably be gone by then), do you think there's a chance your club might draft a mid and try and trade to get a forward like Josh Walker from Geelong?
I spose the dilemma is that conversely you could wait another year and try and snag a mccarthy/patton or boyd from GWS.
What do you think someone like Josh Walker would cost? if that was the case, might draft Goddard/Marchbank though; unless a midfielder has a big end to the year where we just can't say no :eek:

could always draft a KPF in the second round as well, someone like a Keitel/McKenzie might be there
apparently we've been sniffing around Jaksch, but who really knows come draft/trade time

We might try to pinch another forward from your mob. Carlisle would do nicely beside Crameri in our forward line. :p

In all honesty, there's no point going after another player like Josh Walker as all he's going to be in another fringe forward. If we're recruiting a forward, it needs to a be a top, key forward who can be our first option and take contested marks. We already have plenty off good second/third options up forward, both tall and short, Jones will develop to be a good second key forward if we get a main man to take pressure off him, Crameri, Grant, etc as third talls and Honeychurch, Hrovat, Hunter to be the small forward/mid rotation guys. So I really can't see us getting another forward unless he can be our number 1 forward.

Rumours arife that we are heavily after Jaksch from GWS

As was I mate. Although I'm willing to admit that my joke could've been better. Could've suggested Jay Neagle.
yes I gathered, but I wanted to make sure any other snooping people were clear ;)

does Essendon just have the one pick in this draft? I wonder if Essendon will 'play it safe' with their first pick, especially if it is their only pick

yes I gathered, but I wanted to make sure any other snooping people were clear ;)

does Essendon just have the one pick in this draft? I wonder if Essendon will 'play it safe' with their first pick, especially if it is their only pick

My understanding is that we get number 19, then a third and fourth round pick, etc. Would've thought that if there is no real tall forward available, which seems somewhat likely, we'll just go for whoever it is we consider to be the best available I guess.

May as well try and snag Hurley and Ambrose while you're at it!

Good idea! Might have to wait two years until they can play for us though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back