List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be selling the farm.
If it came to a trade, every pick would be on the table...

Offer him huge cash then Essendon will have to try trade him otherwise lose him to the clause "this is easier if essendon loses court case friday". Offer Essendon our first round pick and whatever else get him across. Make him the key position backman

I absolutely think the club needs to look at putting picks on the table to get 20-22 year old players in key positions. Carlisle would be perfect for our needs. We have some nice young talent in Dumont, Turner, Wood and hopefully Garner. We don't need more mid sized youngsters.

No way he would be delisted. Madness.

In any case, we have more than enough guys that need to be moved on so it's not like it will be a hard to fill up the minimum list cut.

It's not a case of money that we have a problem with, it's a case list spots and draft picks that are going to be our main obstacle in the next 2 years.

We have some absolute garbage on our list atm, roughly 30% of our list isn't up to Top 8 AFL standard in either conditioning or ability, which is way too high.

The main problem is, hanging on too long in some respects. Project players should be for guys under 22, not many teams in the top 4 have guys on their lists "developing" over this age in their respective state leagues. It's better cutting them loose and trying to uncover another best 22 player in the draft ala a Dumont or Wood.

forgetting about contracts for a second who should we cut?

Daniel Currie - Goldy back up as a ruck will stay, if we cut him we'd just be looking for another lower league player to take the back up ruck role. Unless it is someone who is ridiculously better I cannot see it happening.

Brad McKenzie - Is his kicking enough to keep him on the list? Doesn't get a lot of it, are we looking at another Harper type situation? Looks lost often.

Ryan Bastinac - Not fringe, I do wonder what his value on the trade table would be. But I am doubtful he's going anywhere

Liam Anthony - Gone

Ben Jacobs - most in the side fringe player we have. was building prior to the Elim final and then had Deer in headlight moments. will retain I would have thought.

Michael Firrito - Will he go on? He's not fringe currently but he was last year.

Leigh Adams- Probably not viewed as fringe anywhere but by some posters on this board. Has been carried through parts of this year

Trent Dumont - Not fringe, developing in the VFL. If it was 3 years ago this kid would have debuted this year. Probably could have anyway.

Nathan Grima - Not fringe, consistent body issues expect to stay, expect also to get pushed out if better options arise.

Sam Wright - Playing his best footy for the club. would love to see a season of footy from him at his current output.

Kieran Harper - I see parallels between him and McKenzie. I was convinced this kid was gold, now I dunno if he will ever pull on the blue and white again.

Robbie Tarrant - I have little confidence of seeing Taz back. Perhaps it is that I have convinced myself that the reason we played him so underdone in the Crows game was that the decsion was either it'll stand up or it won't. It didn't. Kid has been through all sorts of hell with his body and I am not sure that it'll ever be up to the rigors of AFL week in week out.

Taylor Hine - Gone

Taylor Garner - worlds longest hamstring injury. Who knows how far away he is from AFL footy after a year off.

Robin Nahas - cost SFA, has bought into the club, can play a role. Keep.

Tom Curran - Rumours he's gonna retire from the game. foot is f***ed. its a pity. probably gone

Cameron Delaney - I have a question and it may seem pretty callous. He's been listed for 2 seasons as having a toe issue. Would recover time be shorter if they just cut it off? Stays, needs to get on the park and stay on the park.

Mason Wood - Stays, could have played more this year.

Mitch Wilkins - Gone

Joel Tippett - Possibility to get upgraded, may taking Narni's spot if his body fails again.

Kayne Turner - We'd riot if this kid went anywhere. Has stepped up through finals. What we have not seen is him at AFL consistently, in that regard he is an unknown quantity.

Aaron Mullett - I wonder what his issue has been this year. Went from chocolates to boiled lollies in the space of a season. long goals on the booming left foot are a thing to behold, getting done holding the ball from the kick out not so much.

Scott McMahon - Will we finish this bloke up with a year to run on his contract? perhaps we urquhart him.

Ben Brown - See Turner. Looks a player, only played what 10 games?

The biggest conundrum on the list

Majak Daw - Who knows regarding off field so we can leave that shit alone. Has Ben Brown taken the role Maj was looking to fill? Could you play Maj in the same side as Brown? What effect will the ankle have?

The players not listed I do not consider fringe.

It's not a case of money that we have a problem with, it's a case list spots and draft picks that are going to be our main obstacle in the next 2 years.

We have some absolute garbage on our list atm, roughly 30% of our list isn't up to Top 8 AFL standard in either conditioning or ability, which is way too high.

The main problem is, hanging on too long in some respects. Project players should be for guys under 22, not many teams in the top 4 have guys on their lists "developing" over this age in their respective state leagues. It's better cutting them loose and trying to uncover another best 22 player in the draft ala a Dumont or Wood.

I don't disagree, I meant that we'd pay out contracts if need be. As you say money isn't an issue.

Here's the list of guys that I believe have limited time left at North as it currently stands ( injuries/ ability all the same in the wash-up) remembering Dumont, Garner , Wood are likely types....

Currie
McKenzie
Anthony
Adams
Harper- shame (Kimbo) :)
Tarrant- shame
Hine
Curran-shame
Wilkins
McMahon.
Nahas
Delaney-shame

The emergence of Brown, Turner, Greenwood, McDonald and Wright have changed the landscape dramatically. IMO

Last edited:
IThe emergence of Brown, Turner, Greenwood, McDonald and Wright have changed the landscape dramatically. IMO

They look like players.

We are yet to see what they will look like after playing 15 AFL games in a row.

They look like players.

We are yet to see what they will look like after playing 15 AFL games in a row.

I'm confident they'll both have good careers due to their want and ability to hit a contest.

It's why I think Harper is done at seasons end. I watched a Werribee game a few weeks ago. A Bee's player marked about 55 out and Harper was next to him with no one ahead and fifty pretty well empty. I bet ya the likes of Brown and Turner would've ran/jogged into the fifty and got an easy mark and had a shot for goal. Harp's just stood there.

I'd be interested to read your opinion on who they are Pykie.

I can think of 8 blokes that I would be comfortable with de-listing.

In order of age they are:

Scott McMahon
Liam Anthony
Robin Nahas
Taylor Hine
Max Warren
Tom Curran
Tim McGenniss
Mitch Wilkins

We would honestly not be losing much, in anything.

Nahas was very handy this year, but methinks Turner is now ahead of him in the clubs thinking. Next year Garner should be right to go too and I would expect that he would be getting games ahead of Nahas. Then there is Harper...

Loose has been a great servant of the club but with LMac, Atley, McDonald, Macmillan, Wright and Jacobs all capable of playing the mid sized defender role he is simply surplus to requirements. Pay him out and move on.

LA, well, just not AFL standard. Useful, but not up to it.

Taylor Hine is in a similar possie to McMahon. His role is capable covered by many others with better all round games.

Tom Curran is cooked unfortunately.

Mitch Wilkins just didn't progress and will not be missed.

Promote Tippett and Turner to the main list, leaving a full rookie list to populate and 4 draft picks.

The above list is unique because it's split a list of names of those I believe want to be afl players and those who like the idea of being an afl player. Wilkins, Mcmahon, Anthony, Curran fall there imo.

Alongside Harper, the rest deserve a pre season to demonstrate they still have what it takes and can apply the determination required

The above list is unique because it's split a list of names of those I believe want to be afl players and those who like the idea of being an afl player. Wilkins, Mcmahon, Anthony, Curran fall there imo.

Alongside Harper, the rest deserve a pre season to demonstrate they still have what it takes and can apply the determination required
Re McGenniss and Warren, I think there are two factors going against them being retained.

1) they are well down the line in terms options in role/position;
2) they are two of the hardest workers in the club already.

Not sure giving them another 12 months will achieve anything tbh.

Hine seems a bit the same to me. Just not quite up to it and not an area of weakness.

Sorry guys, seems source was wrong about you guys withdrawing offer. Good to see he's staying true to form and taking the easy way out and not earning the second year with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry guys, seems source was wrong about you guys withdrawing offer. Good to see he's staying true to form and taking the easy way out and not earning the second year with us.

easy way out? Carlton did offer him second year problem is Malthouse and him dont have the best relationship..

easy way out? Carlton did offer him second year problem is Malthouse and him dont have the best relationship..
We offered him an option of a second if he played enough games.
You offered a guaranteed second year. That's the rule of FA - you must offer a minimum of 2 years to get someone.

If Waite has a problem with Mick, then all the more reason to say good riddance. The 15 other players who re-signed this year don't seen to have a problem.

We offered him an option of a second if he played enough games.
You offered a guaranteed second year. That's the rule of FA - you must offer a minimum of 2 years to get someone.

If Waite has a problem with Mick, then all the more reason to say good riddance. The 15 other players who re-signed this year don't seen to have a problem.

how to you know north dont have options set in place? Dont assume buddy.... Think you forgot he was on the outer from rounds 14-16/17 rotting away in the vfl.

how to you know north dont have options set in place? Dont assume buddy.... Think you forgot he was on the outer from rounds 14-16/17 rotting away in the vfl.
Because as I said the rules of FA dictate you must offer 2 years guaranteed minimum. No options allowed.

Interesting to see Geelong about to sign someone from the Recruit to their rookie list.
Wouldn't be against doing the same, there are a few decent prospects potentially worth a rookie spot
Why would Geelong want "The Jackel"? :stern look

I don't disagree, I meant that we'd pay out contracts if need be. As you say money isn't an issue.

Here's the list of guys that I believe have limited time left at North as it currently stands ( injuries/ ability all the same in the wash-up) remembering Dumont, Garner , Wood are likely types....

Currie
McKenzie
Anthony
Adams
Harper
Tarrant- shame
Hine
Curran-shame
Wilkins
McMahon.
Nahas
Delaney-shame

The emergence of Brown, Turner, Greenwood, McDonald and Wright have changed the landscape dramatically. IMO
Good post would be a shame too if Harper didnt work out. Yeah i havent heard anything bout Delaney all year he seemed a good prospect too.

If the rumours are true, we'll be getting the winner.

It's the "recruit's" choice after one two or three clubs say they're interested in him. None of the remaining players BFNAAK afaik.

Wagner is pretty intriguing to be honest - a 6'2 bloke who has goal sense and runs like the wind. Certainly worth a rookie punt.

1st Pick (Roughly #16) + Basti + LA for Melbourne's Pick #3? Firstly, is that fair and secondly would it ever be considered?
No chance in a thousand years. In 2013 we got Dom Tyson and downgraded from #2 to #9. Bastinac and Anthony for a downgrade from #3 to #16 is just insulting. Anthony has played 9 games in the last two years and Bastinac isn't the inside ball winning midfielder that we're after.

If we get Waite can Black go back and play a similar role as Hurley?

FWIW, I don't particularly want Waite. Him and Drew will be finished around the same time. And he'll limit the development of Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back