2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine Kyle Martin would be best 22 or thereabouts for 3-5 Victorian clubs. While he does seem like a good player and he was eye-catching at the Gabba last year, I'd be surprised if he preferred us over Melbourne, Carlton, St. Kilda etc.
Thomas might be a better chance since he's a Queenslander.

I imagine he'd want to stay in Melbourne for sure, but as far as I'm concerned he's definitely good enough for AFL level and has only played 4 games in 2 seasons. We could offer him better than that so it's worth a crack.

He would be a very smart get for Melbourne or the Saints though!

Would think Fremantle would love Leuey

Why out of interest? Would have thought they'd be looking for a proper forward more than anything...they have Zac Clarke and Jack Hannath (as well as Kepler Bradley still on their list iirc) to help out in the ruck/forward roles once Sandi gives it up. Leuey would be a high priced 27/28 year old by the time Sandi gives it up. I imagine Griffin will slot straight in as their first ruck.

If Lycett goes (and Cox retires which I'm assuming he will) then WC might be interested though...

Last edited:

I imagine he'd want to stay in Melbourne for sure, but as far as I'm concerned he's definitely good enough for AFL level and has only played 4 games in 2 seasons. We could offer him better than that so it's worth a crack.

He would be a very smart get for Melbourne or the Saints though!

Why out of interest? Would have thought they'd be looking for a proper forward more than anything...they have Zac Clarke and Jack Hannath (as well as Kepler Bradley still on their list iirc) to help out in the ruck/forward roles once Sandi gives it up. Leuey would be a high priced 27/28 year old by the time Sandi gives it up. I imagine Griffin will slot straight in as their first ruck.

If Lycett goes (and Cox retires which I'm assuming he will) then WC might be interested though...
Good point would have thought Leuey would go to a Western Australia team if he left. And with West Coast having Nic Nat thought Fremantle who really dont have that natural ruckman I think would look at Leuey

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Levi Casboult's status is? Lion's would have to give him a serious look in.

Out of contract iirc but in talks to extend.

Not sure if he's been mentioned but could Aaron Mullett from North be a possibility? Seems to have fallen out of favor this year, after being excellent last year. Really good user of the footy coming out of the back 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if he's been mentioned but could Aaron Mullett from North be a possibility? Seems to have fallen out of favor this year, after being excellent last year. Really good user of the footy coming out of the back 50.

I don't think he's entirely fallen out of favour. Was dropped and had a hamstring niggle but has still played 13 games this year. The small amount of time he's spent in the VFL he did decently, I think it's just a position they have more depth in than others.

That said, I'd love it if we could somehow swing it. His run and kicking would be very handy and would take us further along the path of offsetting the losses of Yeo and Docherty. He's always seemed to provide a real spark when I've seen him (I may be biased as he booted a beautiful running goal over my head at Etihad last year).

Given that he's 22 and has shown a fair bit at senior level I imagine the price tag might be a bit much, but if he was willing to move I'd be stoked if we could get him.

What about kersten from the cats?

Another one that I'd love but I think we'd have even less chance of prying him loose than Mullet. Both he and the Cats bided their time before he could slot in and he's had a fantastic start to his senior career. Looks really important structurally too.

Realistically he won't be a big tall and I'm hoping Close can be our second tall going forward. In the third tall department (which he probably fits in, although he's a strong/quick unit which means he could play bigger) I think we'd be hoping some of our own prospects come on.

Again probably worth too much to the club in question for us to go after him.

(I hope I'm not shooting anyone down, I'm just trying to offer counterpoints!)

I would be very surprised if Geelong let go any decent tall forward prospects. Worth asking the question though.

They're keen on Kersten but Walker and Mitch Brown may be poachable although they both seem injury prone. IIRC they were happy to take offers for Brown last year but if we have most of our picks locked away for academy selections I can't see how we'll make any trades.

I don't really see a lot from either Walker or Brown that makes me want them at the Lions. Both seem to have some significant flaws to their game that I don't really see getting resolved.

In terms of our trading, I wouldn't be surprised if both our first two picks are up for the right offer. It seems unlikely that we'll get a trade for our first rounder but the second rounder could see some action. I'm not expecting to have to use that pick on an academy player by the way - purely based what I've heard around the traps but I would be surprised if a club bid a first rounder on Hammelman - I reckon he's more likely to worth a pick around 30.

Bit bored this morning so ……….

What if we had a real crack at Vickery and Tom Mitchell. Richmond and Sydney will be fielding plenty of offers on these two I would think. Our first and second round picks might be considered overs and we would probably have to offer more money than other clubs to convince both to head north, but………

Vickery is a much better player in my book than Lisle and streets ahead of any of our other young forwards at the moment. Sure he has his issues but being named at full forward every week and being 'the man' might just be what he needs. At the very least he becomes the second ruck who kicks 30 goals for the season.

Tom Mitchell can find the footy. Would be great to add another 30+ possession player to our midfield!

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back