Preview 2015 Grand Final: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles - Gunston IN, Hartung OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make no mistake, this is clearly the best opposition we've faced in a gf since '08. Freo were an honest side with questionable depth and butchers on every line. The Swans had guys like Shaw & Rohan in their back 6 and not a single dangerous crumber inside their forward 50.
West Coast are a completely different proposition. They have an abundance of quality tall & small forwards, a midfield that runs both ways (+ an underrated 2nd ruck) and a back 6 that are undersized but compensate by communicating and covering exceptionally well.
I have a feeling our small forwards are going to be the key to us winning on Saturday: If Breust & Rioli can snag some early sausages and put doubt in the minds of Wellingham & Sheppard guys like Rough & Gunston/Schoe may get more space. Likewise West Coast will look to hit up Lake's man on the lead early doors to expose his lack of pace and dent his confidence on a hot, fast track. If big Brian plucks some early marks one on one he could really humiliate Sinclair on the big stage.
All in all I think this will be a game for the ages.
The two best teams fighting it out on a sunny spring afternoon, it doesn't get any better!

WC deserve to be playing on the big stage. NO doubt.
Just watch the Hawks destroy that WC backline.

Really enjoy reading this thread. A lot of respect shown for West Coast which is always good to see, along with people acknowledging our footy this year unlike other boards where they focus on umpiring etc.. Should be a ripper GF with clearly the best two teams this season playing against each other. Massive props for this year regardless, its a tremendous testament to the group of players you have to maintain the hunger necessary to win a flag after going back2back. Carn Eagles.

That's fine. As long as the umps ping 50 for all the players who rush in (and over) the mark now to try and stop us getting that quick handball over the top to space. Been happening a lot lately.
It sure bloody has.

Seen up to 3 people on the mark in the Wet Toast v Norf game at one stage.

Ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not to mention those "unbelevable" handballs
Those ones that are faster than the eye?

Wet Toast are really good at "handing it on".

We do it occasionally.....the big difference....we get pinged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake, this is clearly the best opposition we've faced in a gf since '08. Freo were an honest side with questionable depth and butchers on every line. The Swans had guys like Shaw & Rohan in their back 6 and not a single dangerous crumber inside their forward 50.
West Coast are a completely different proposition. They have an abundance of quality tall & small forwards, a midfield that runs both ways (+ an underrated 2nd ruck) and a back 6 that are undersized but compensate by communicating and covering exceptionally well.
I have a feeling our small forwards are going to be the key to us winning on Saturday: If Breust & Rioli can snag some early sausages and put doubt in the minds of Wellingham & Sheppard guys like Rough & Gunston/Schoe may get more space. Likewise West Coast will look to hit up Lake's man on the lead early doors to expose his lack of pace and dent his confidence on a hot, fast track. If big Brian plucks some early marks one on one he could really humiliate Sinclair on the big stage.
All in all I think this will be a game for the ages.
The two best teams fighting it out on a sunny spring afternoon, it doesn't get any better!

Form leading into GF's is retrospective but I struggle to see how this Eagles side is better than the Swans in 2012 and 2014

For every Shaw and Rohan (who didn't play in 2012) you have a Wellingham and Suckling

You are selling the Swans way to short in that post

The Swans won more games than the Eagles this year and were a season hardened outfit with GF experience

We are no shoe ins, far from it, but the Eagles this year (and they are building something great) are not a more difficult proposition compared to the Swans of 2012 and 2014 (where we were rank outsiders leading into the game)

Last edited:
I totally agree "AS" , indeed I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
63558300.jpg

The closer I get to the game, the more worried I get.

The Eagles are a very good side, and if they play at their best, they will be very hard to beat.

Still have faith and confidence the boys can do it as I feel they are on a mission, I just think this will be the closest of the 3 GFs.
Sounds familier to the sentiments heard before Freo and Sydney matches too. Just believe in this club administrators, selectors, coach and the players mate. They will deliver at the right time. I have no doubt that we will win and win well come Saturday.

We all remember just how good our tackling and pressure was early during last years GF. If this sort of stuff returns omn Saturday, it will help greatly in securing the win, especially in our forward half. Their defense is suspect (although have stood up very well this year after alot of key injurys) and if we can keep consistent pressure on them to clear it; with players like Rioli, Puopolo and Breust scoring off half opportunities could also go along way to securing the win.
Also just on those crumbers having a massive influence is the reason I want to see Schoe play. He may not take alot of marks but he always makes a contest and usually brings the ball to ground. Hale, McEvoy and Rough are also going to be vitally important to take marks (or at least make a contest) against the under-strength WC defense.

Too hot for a scarf this week. Shorts and Hawks hat for me. And about 10 litres of water and sunscreen - anyone on the south side of the ground is about to bake.
You bunch of softies.

Have had the pleasure of working in the desert doing 12 hr shifts in 50+ ° heat.

You will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back