2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a match winner look at his efforts on field. As I stated before THE RIGH PEOPLE need to be there for Bennell - Adam Goodes and Chrissy j. Both highly regarded Indigenous men of the highest caliber. IF anyone thinks that Dustin Martin is the right mentor at this stage in Bennell's career, they are having me on and taking the **** out of me. Strong contact in lions favour, with incentives for professionalism. If he fails at least we tried. What about all the other players we recruited(Jordan lisle ,Young key position player Clouston played just two matches in total, while King, Tyler, Dzufer, Garner, Murray, Spackman and Tippett all left the club having not played a senior game), that went no where.At least Bennell has one thing those players did not have, that is talent to burn.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately those right people aren't at our club. They were there to talk to periodically while he was at the Suns. We don't need this kind of PR. We have enough bad PR with young players leaving - lets fix that first before taking on high maintenance players.

Would love to hear that D.Rich was another name in this group:p

So would I. But wasn't.

Zorko, MRobbo, Squizzy, Dizzy, Paps, Dawson, McGrath and Stef were the names I heard.

So would I. But wasn't.

Zorko, MRobbo, Squizzy, Dizzy, Paps, Dawson, McGrath and Stef were the names I heard.
As much as I love Richy, those names are far more important going forward as a collective unit.

All young players and key players like Zorko, Robbo & Stef.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rich was disappointed with his year and would be putting off contract talks until the end of next season to focus on his footy.

As much as I love Richy, those names are far more important going forward as a collective unit.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rich was disappointed with his year and would be putting off contract talks until the end of next season to focus on his footy.
I think he needs to show the club he can get back to somewhere near his best in the first couple months of the season before there's any extension. Although it's mainly been because of injuries, Richy hasn't done much in the last three years. You don't just commit long term to a player who hasn't shown his best for that long. We need some consistent footy first.

I find these comments contradictory. If too easily influenced to distraction, that is an issue with commitment and work ethic.

I would rather focus on teaching someone to kick than fixing a talented player's ongoing off-field issues. He hasn't just had issues this year, they go back years and show a trend. I also find the Dusty Martin comment interesting, because he was easily influenced also, but unlike Bennell has shown an ability to change his ways and re-focus.
Can't expect someone to be in work mode 24/7... When at the club and on the field from what I've seen he gives 100%. Just the few times he has had off he can get on the drink. Also Martin and Bennell aren't totally different. Both have abused substances and both have off field problems. Richmond decided to keep Martin whereas Suns decided it was time to leave. Both could have been either way but it wasn't to be. Lets not forget that Martin has been around a few more years as well and from reports has matured a fair bit but is still behind in the work ethic/commitment to the cause. Bennell probably needs to grow up much the same way Martin had to. Bennell is just stupid off field whereas Martin was hanging around Gangs etc.

I think we should seriously look at him and I think a few of his problems will be fixed in a better environment and better people around him than what was on offer at the Suns.

Can't expect someone to be in work mode 24/7... When at the club and on the field from what I've seen he gives 100%. Just the few times he has had off he can get on the drink. Also Martin and Bennell aren't totally different. Both have abused substances and both have off field problems. Richmond decided to keep Martin whereas Suns decided it was time to leave. Both could have been either way but it wasn't to be. Lets not forget that Martin has been around a few more years as well and from reports has matured a fair bit but is still behind in the work ethic/commitment to the cause. Bennell probably needs to grow up much the same way Martin had to. Bennell is just stupid off field whereas Martin was hanging around Gangs etc.

I think we should seriously look at him and I think a few of his problems will be fixed in a better environment and better people around him than what was on offer at the Suns.
Have been issues on the field too, of an unusual type. Tried to organise a big night out mid-game against Geelong.......With Geelong players

Perhaps shows where his priorities are

He is a match winner look at his efforts on field. As I stated before THE RIGH PEOPLE need to be there for Bennell - Adam Goodes and Chrissy j. Both highly regarded Indigenous men of the highest caliber. IF anyone thinks that Dustin Martin is the right mentor at this stage in Bennell's career, they are having me on and taking the **** out of me. Strong contact in lions favour, with incentives for professionalism. If he fails at least we tried. What about all the other players we recruited(Jordan lisle ,Young key position player Clouston played just two matches in total, while King, Tyler, Dzufer, Garner, Murray, Spackman and Tippett all left the club having not played a senior game), that went no where.At least Bennell has one thing those players did not have, that is talent to burn.

One of the best things that could happen for Bennell would be to move interstate, a fresh start in a strong environment and leaving a lot of the negative influences behind. If we were to recruit him, he'd keep a similar lifestyle, same circle of friends, it would be hard for someone to turn it around with the same temptations easily available.

He is at a real crossroad in his career, and it's going to go one of two ways, an attitude of if he fails at least we tried doesn't hold well for him, not only as a player but as a person. Hopefully who ever recruits him, puts his interests first, and not just looking at getting serious talent in, on the cheap. I don't think we can offer him any real solutions, a strong cultured club like Port, Hawks or Swans would give him the best chance.

When you're getting dropped and eventually moved on from a club, it's a little more than just getting pissed on your day off. The drinking thing was against club/team rules, and getting your photo taken, snorting coke with strippers is probably against their rules too. Work mode? No, just being a little bit professional would do. He has been pulled up, dropped and warned and just couldn't commit to being professional.

And Martin is one year older, drafted one year before Bennell.

The Lions have enough on their plate, retaining players and dragging themselves away from the bottom of the ladder, while trying to attract real footballers. They don't need to be trying to rehabilitate a problem child, booted from another club.

Another "my football has gone stale" ?

More like I want success and want to ditch this club

The article I read on Richmond and Bennell suggested that he had a night out then didn't turn up for his medical the next day on advice from him manager because the contract negotiation details weren't sorted yet. Reeks to me of a manager providing poor advice, some miscommunication and serious concerns about what he was up to (that are hopefully unfounded). There was a quote from his manager in the article admitting he had a night out for his bday but claimed it was unrelated to why he didn't turn up for the medical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin's manager Paul Connors seemed to confirmed the rumours mentioned on here that Martin will definitely stay :)

Leuenberger will either be at Sydney or Essendon next year.

Connors said financial compensation will definitely 'not' be enough for a first round and added that it might not be great enough for a second rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we'd match if we're only going to get a pick around 40 for Leuey.
Exactly, time to be a bit ruthless i reckon. Surely the club would be informed of the $$$ and years prior to Luey signing anything and therefore informing the destination club of our intentions and facilitating a trade then.

Surely we'd match if we're only going to get a pick around 40 for Leuey.
Without hearing it, I suspect Connors wasn't referring to "rounds" but wotchacallit..."bands". IIRC, there is little difference between a band 2 or 3 compo pick for the lions as they finished 2nd last.

I call BS. Source? He was probably just sledging.

Interesting. You call BS huh? On what basis? It doesn't suit your argument? Sounds like you went to the same school of arguing as TheTeamToBeat!!

There was actually an article not so long ago that highlighted opposition players and coaches warning the Suns about Bennell, which included him organising night outs mid-game but quite frankly I can't be bothered searching for it.

Connors said financial compensation will definitely 'not' be enough for a first round and added that it might not be great enough for a second rounder.
That's really up to the AFL to decide. Late second rounder probably looks good at this stage.

Interesting. You call BS huh? On what basis? It doesn't suit your argument? Sounds like you went to the same school of arguing as TheTeamToBeat!!

There was actually an article not so long ago that highlighted opposition players and coaches warning the Suns about Bennell, which included him organising night outs mid-game but quite frankly I can't be bothered searching for it.

It does seem like a pretty far fetched claim TBH. You've made a pretty dickish comment towards Sizematters for not agreeing and going ahead and saying an article was made about it, implying the journalist was honest and correct, when in fact you don't even know who wrote what.

Point is, agree to disagree, but don't be a dick about it. (Y)

With the Swans reportedly going after Sinclair and Lycett you would have to think Leuey is off to the Bombers.

I was just simply stating what I've seen and heard. Of course I would be skeptical about those claims, they just seem wrong on many levels for a player to say those things on the field.

I just thought what you said was maybe exaggerated to suit your own beliefs and when you didn't provide a source on it I asked for it, no harm intended. I haven't read the article so I'll take your word on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back