2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be alone here, but I'd seriously consider, if Aish goes and we get a first rd pick, trading our two first rd picks for Patton. It's certainly a risk with Patton's injury history, but the fact is our midfield will be at its best for the next 5 years, so Patton fits the bill.

I have a lot of faith in Clarke as our no.1 KPD and Gardiner our no.2 KPD for the next 5+ years. So having our KPF's sorted with Patton our no.1 KPF and McStay (or Close) the no.2 KPF would give me a lot more confidence of making a premiership team out of our current list.

Might be alone here, but I'd seriously consider, if Aish goes and we get a first rd pick, trading our two first rd picks for Patton. It's certainly a risk with Patton's injury history, but the fact is our midfield will be at its best for the next 5 years, so Patton fits the bill.

I have a lot of faith in Clarke as our no.1 KPD and Gardiner our no.2 KPD for the next 5+ years. So having our KPF's sorted with Patton our no.1 KPF and McStay (or Close) the no.2 KPF would give me a lot more confidence of making a premiership team out of our current list.

I have always thought of Gardiner as more of a Patfull type, playing as a 3rd defender. I guess he could be no.2 but I can't help but get a bit excited over the prospect of Rance (no.1), Clarke (no.2) and Gardiner (no.3). Gives us flexibility if one gets injured too.

It's an interesting idea. In the past few years while a few clubs down the bottom with us have gone with or at least considered drastic trades to get in key forwards (Dees with Hogan, Dogs with Boyd), we - arguably with the biggest need for a key forward - haven't gone down that path.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we do take a big gamble this trade period. Whether it's Patton, Henderson, Dixon or anyone else - I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay what's considered generous overs to get a very promising key forward prospect here. It's gotten to the stage of desperation now where we don't have much of a choice.

Chances of Brisbane chasing Courtenay Dempsey? He is an unrestricted free agent.

I wouldn't say impossible but highly doubtful given his age profile. It's hard to tell at the moment due to injuries but we do have promising flankers.

If he was keen to come up here and a spot opened up I could see us maybe going for it, I wouldn't mind him but for mine he doesn't seem like the type Leppa would be interested in at this stage.

Got a feeling that our primary targets will be Rance and Dixon this off season. Grab either and it's an enormous boost. Secure both and we're a long way towards fixing our key position issues. Looking at our list, I'm not sure there's anyone else I'd target to bring in. Maybe a big bodied mid, but I'm sure the club is hopeful Nick Robertson will step up in that regard.

Ugh. Hate that this is even something I'm thinking about in April.

I know that it's a long way to
Go and they're has been and will be further speculation but i do remember Leppa stating that we would head to the draft this year. At the time it did resonate with me due to our off season pick ups. I'm not sure if the club has come out and openly stated that we have targeted specific players or if its just the media.

Got a feeling that our primary targets will be Rance and Dixon this off season. Grab either and it's an enormous boost. Secure both and we're a long way towards fixing our key position issues. Looking at our list, I'm not sure there's anyone else I'd target to bring in. Maybe a big bodied mid, but I'm sure the club is hopeful Nick Robertson will step up in that regard.

Ugh. Hate that this is even something I'm thinking about in April.

Just as long as it isn't Vickery.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wish we would draft more indigenous players. Since Gubby left there has been a massive shift away from drafting indigenous players and I have no idea why. Gold Coast have 7, we have 2 and 1 we traded in, Christensen.

Yes it's a no for me on Dempsey. He hasn't improved or got any younger. I would rather look at someone like Curtly Hampton from GWS. Good player with good skills who isn't getting a game right now in a very good side. Has played 47 games is only 22 and could player either half back flank or half forward flank. Has plenty of upside to his game.

Saying that it's really Free agency or nothing for the club. We want to get players in who won't cost us picks or players and free agents naturally come with loads experience. I think outside of free agents the club will want to use it's draft picks unless a player who is to good to refuse wants to come to the Lions.

It's an interesting idea. In the past few years while a few clubs down the bottom with us have gone with or at least considered drastic trades to get in key forwards (Dees with Hogan, Dogs with Boyd), we - arguably with the biggest need for a key forward - haven't gone down that path.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we do take a big gamble this trade period. Whether it's Patton, Henderson, Dixon or anyone else - I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay what's considered generous overs to get a very promising key forward prospect here. It's gotten to the stage of desperation now where we don't have much of a choice.

Yerse indeed...we had to make it happen over the last four years or face what we've got now.

All we can do is dig ourselves out of the hole we are in by trading and developing the inexperience that we have already...I would definitely look at trading the very early pick that we will get.

I think we need to look at more of a shut down medium-small defender instead of a rebounding defender. We have Cutler, Harwood, Adcock, C Beams, Golby and Rich who can give us some run off half back but aren't overly good defensively.

I really wish we would draft more indigenous players. Since Gubby left there has been a massive shift away from drafting indigenous players and I have no idea why. Gold Coast have 7, we have 2 and 1 we traded in, Christensen.

Whenever I see this raised I think it overly simplistic to say why don't we draft indigineous players. For mine theres no indigenous players that filled the need we were addressing with the picks we had in recent drafts that come to mind. (note i'm going off guys still on lists, not ones who were picks but delisted later)

Last year we were taking QLD picks mostly and actually grabbed an indigineous player in McGuinness.

Year before it was
7 - Aish (next id player Impey at 21)
22 + 25 - Gardiner and McStay (Lemmens at 27, Karpany at 31)
33 + 34 - Cutler and Robertson (Pearce at 37, Garlett at 38, Kennedy-Harris at 40)

So really the players we took suited our needs a bit more than those we didn't pick up.

8 - Mayes (TBH I'm struggling to find any Indigenous players drafted this year maybe I'm missing some)

8 + 12 - Billy Longer and Docherty (Murray Newman at 23)
30 - Yeo (Brad Hill at 33, Ah Chee at 45)
47 Wearden (Ellis-Yolmen at 64)

5 - Polec (once again I'm struggling to find examples of later picks)

27 Callum Bartlett - (christensen at 40 - we've got him now though)
47 - Harwood (Troy taylor isn't on a list anymore)

I could go back further but really from the above its not like there's a trend of us not taking an AFL player purely because they're indigenous, moreso we just haven't come across a player that suited our need at that pick.

You could argue that pick 12 plus end of first round compensation for Tippet was a pretty decent crack, although I do see it as a decent amount short of the trades you've referenced above.

But that dogs play was a HUGE gamble, at the moment it looks ok though Boyd isnt a million dollar player, but certainly tons of potential. But he could also be the next Gumbleton (not that I am wishing it on him, because I quite like the dogs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back