List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering he'd be a free agent, and what we'd have to trade to get anyone better than him, I'd say landing him would be the best possible outcome I could see happening.

Salary cap space is more important than draft picks. IMO there's no point saving draft picks and getting Sidebottom instead of just going after a midfield superstar.

Sidey is a quality player but he aint no leader of a midfield. Elite player he is not.

He is silky and smooth but lacks the inside grunt and the outside pace. If he had some leg speed his value would be a lot higher.

He compliments a midfield. Not the type we really need at the price we would have to pay to land him.

He would be an okay addition. He doesn't fill the need for an elite midfielder to replace Hodge/Mitchell. He's more on the Shiels level, which is nice, but he's probably not the guy who leads your midfield to a premiership.
I love Shiels but Sidebottom is on a completely different level. He's a proven finals performer and just about to enter his prime. Would take in a heartbeat.

Obviously my opinion is at odds with most here but I'll just say that I think Sidebottom gets sold short in general. Sure he's an accumulator but he's a damn good one and if he isn't elite he's very close and still hasn't turned 25. There aren't many mids better than him that are his age or younger.

Who's going to offer up the money for the heart transplant?
We should start collecting now. There's an even money chance we'll nab Watts next year based on our recent policy of recruiting Demon spuds instigated by our senior coach and footy operations manager.

I love Shiels but Sidebottom is on a completely different level. He's a proven finals performer and just about to enter his prime. Would take in a heartbeat.

Sidebottom is better than Shiels on the offensive end, but Shiels is well ahead of him defensively. I think Sidebottom is a better player, but both are in that B grade level, the kind of guys you need in a midfield, but they probably aren't going to lead your midfield to a flag. Given we are trying to replace A grade midfielders who lead the midfield, i'd be looking for someone on the level above.

Salary cap space is more important than draft picks. IMO there's no point saving draft picks and getting Sidebottom instead of just going after a midfield superstar.

Salary Cap space is the most important thing. Spot on.

Would rather give up Picks 9 and 28 and get Danger for 850k per season.

Than as a FA on 1.1m per season

For example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidebottom & Shiels are getting a little under rated. They both have been playing behind AA mids in their respective careers with different development requirements. No they haven't come out & pulled a JOM or Ollie Wines but they have built launching pad to take the next step when it's required to become a legitimate A grade competitor. I'm sure everyone wants a Dangerfield, Franklin, JOM or the next Luke Hodge but the reality of it is that to get them after that go Bang & arrive at AFL level is, I think, expensive & to the detriment to the rest of the playing group. Finding quality, in multiple picks & over time, is the only real way to create a 3 peat organisation while topping up from the discarded & late bloomers to fill a need. Shiels & Sidebottom are the perfect guys to build a premiership side around because you know you are getting a quality player almost every week... The educated & luck of the draft is where you hope one or two of your picks go from a Patrick Cripps 2014 to a Patrick Cripps 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously my opinion is at odds with most here but I'll just say that I think Sidebottom gets sold short in general. Sure he's an accumulator but he's a damn good one and if he isn't elite he's very close and still hasn't turned 25. There aren't many mids better than him that are his age or younger.
Don't be too hard on yourself, mate.

At least you're not keen on Mathew Watson.

Dont see sidebottom as a genuine core mid but nevertheless a good to very good player. Has some tricks but not quite imposing enough to ever be a bone fide A grader. Would take him without doubt though.

The problem with Sidebottom is that he has the "Collingwood Overrated Factor".
Every Collingwood player gets tagged as a champion in the media, and their weaknesses tend to be overlooked. Players who are decent AFL players become lauded as huge stars, but when they move to other clubs suddenly don't show it, see Daisy Thomas, Beams, Shaw brothers, etc, but they get the big contracts.

To me Sidebottom would be an underrated player, just like Shiels, who just does his role. Hes not someone to base a midfield around and would cost far too much.

The problem with Sidebottom is that he has the "Collingwood Overrated Factor".
Every Collingwood player gets tagged as a champion in the media, and their weaknesses tend to be overlooked. Players who are decent AFL players become lauded as huge stars, but when they move to other clubs suddenly don't show it, see Daisy Thomas, Beams, Shaw brothers, etc, but they get the big contracts.

To me Sidebottom would be an underrated player, just like Shiels, who just does his role. Hes not someone to base a midfield around and would cost far too much.
Thomas and Beams have both dealt with injury issues (though the former hasn't ever been better than a flashy forward), Heath Shaw is one of GWS's best players and better than he was at Collingwood.

Sidebottom is a good young midfielder. On par with where Lewis was at the same age.

Thomas and Beams have both dealt with injury issues (though the former hasn't ever been better than a flashy forward), Heath Shaw is one of GWS's best players and better than he was at Collingwood.

Sidebottom is a good young midfielder. On par with where Lewis was at the same age.

If we had paid big money to get those Collingwood players, you can imagine the meltdown on this forum when they failed to produce. They're seriously overrated

And Heath Shaw is paid a huge amount of money to chase the ball and play unaccountable footy.

If we had paid big money to get those Collingwood players, you can imagine the meltdown on this forum when they failed to produce. They're seriously overrated

And Heath Shaw is paid a huge amount of money to chase the ball and play unaccountable footy.
Sidebottom is still a good player regardless of how you rate the others. I wouldn't be offering him ridiculous money (not Hawthorn's style anyway) to come across but he's still worth the enquiry.

Getting all of O'Meara, Wines and Shiel as replacements for Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne isn't realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back