Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What a nonsense way to finish your post.

Below average? No never said that either. Didn't say average either. Not good enough to compete with the stronger midfields, why is that so hard to understand? So far in 2 posts you've misrepresented me.

Sure let's hope the younger brigade can make up for the 2 stars we've lost and make us a legitimate contender, if they do that I would be rapt, no beyond rapt, ecstatic and hail the club. You know why? Because I want to win another flag.

But you are deluded if you think at the end of the season our midfield gets exposed the club will admit not getting experienced mids in was a mistake.
EC, It does seem that I have misrepresented you then. You rate our midfield top 4 or 5? Somewhere around that? So do I. That isn't how I read your posts, my mistake.

You want to win another flag, me too. Nineteen effin' years of yelling myself hoarse for nothing but a few Prelims? I'm getting impatient too.

I was one of the people screaming for us to go all in before the trade period, but in the end I liked our decision making process that meant we didn't over-pay for Gibbs or Barlow and we didn't even consider Rockliff. The club did not make a mistake in that area imo, so they wouldn't have to admit to anything there.

If our midfield gets exposed, and we don't rotate players to cover injuries / suspensions then I think the club will have nowhere to turn and will have to cop it on the chin. They have to learn from the teams that have been performing in ALL of their end-of-season and finals games ... having fresh players that have exposed form is essential in getting through to a Premiership.

wouldn't have thought so, would be more enjoyable than only getting in the pool though, maybe a bit of vitamin D lol

as for the impetus you were asking about I'd just describe it as the next frontier. Once you reach a point of diminishing returns in one area (in this case optimising training loads) you have to look somewhere else for further improvement. The idea of recovery has always been around, but now its being taken to the next level and everyone is realising how important it really is alongside the training.

the other thing from a football perspective is that the physical performance goal posts are always shifting (with the rules of the game, like the rotation cap for example - compare Geelong's premiership teams with The Bulldogs this year), so there are always problems that need reevaluating.
The next big thing will be pschycology. English premier league teams have up to 6
psychs , we are nowhere near that yet

All sports are digging deep to spend on recovery, from Supplements the legal type run by qualified personnel, diets all top team have dietitians, massage therapy, Sleep control including sleep chambers which the Crows have. EMS units that are now portable, to ice baths and the new cryogenic baths (Hutt Street and most AFL clubs are looking to get a few units)
The trick is getting the body back into good health to pump some more weights or more miles.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...k=1da1bb386a39833cbb496dd596dd1390-1481161503

COULD a South African superfood be the secret to the Western Bulldogs’ premiership success?

Biltong is an air dried beef packed with muscle-building protein and has been a staple food for the Bulldogs since they signed with Protea Foods in July.

The Cheltenham-based South African meat producer and supplier has since provided the premiers with their low-salt Protein Punch variety of biltong.

Bulldogs dietitian Claire Saundry said the players primarily ate biltong as a post-training “recovery snack” due to its high protein content.

“The total amount of protein eaten is important, however the body can only use a relatively small amount of protein at any one time,” Ms Saundry said.

“Spreading protein intake over the day and including appropriate recovery options such as Protein Punch after training can achieve a positive protein balance promoting muscle growth.”

Protea Foods administrator Sally Weelson said the family company’s association with the Bulldogs began with coach Luke Beveridge frequenting their store for the dried meat.

“Luke Beveridge likes the stokkies — a type of biltong — then we showed him the Protein Punch, which is another type of biltong which he introduced to the players, and their dietitian loved it,” Mrs Weelson said.

Western Bulldogs hungry for more

“We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.

“I’d like to say the players were better for having biltong.”

Protea Foods began more than 50 years ago when Mrs Weelson’s uncle moved to Melbourne from South Africa and opened a deli in Brighton.

He began making biltong and the company grew and moved to Cheltenham, but has always stayed in the family.

Mrs Weelson said Protea Foods also supplied the South African cricket team throughout their recent test series win over Australia.

The next big thing will be pschycology. English premier league teams have up to 6
psychs , we are nowhere near that yet
It has been part of football for a while , though not to the extent of having 6 on staff. Its more about giving direction and guidance on ''Gen Y'' sooks players.

No more yelling at players, no more 100 x 100s to break them. Its more to do with individual game achievement, understanding of indigenous facial and body language, knowing what drives a player to perform: did he hate daddy , does he love winning, does he play for money or glory etc etc.

Maximising the mind

It has been part of football for a while , though not to the extent of having 6 on staff. Its more about giving direction and guidance on ''Gen Y'' sooks players.

No more yelling at players, no more 100 x 100s to break them. Its more to do with individual game achievement, understanding of indigenous facial and body language, knowing what drives a player to perform: did he hate daddy , does he love winning, does he play for money or glory etc etc.

Maximising the mind
Or deflating the ego.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...k=1da1bb386a39833cbb496dd596dd1390-1481161503

COULD a South African superfood be the secret to the Western Bulldogs’ premiership success?

Biltong is an air dried beef packed with muscle-building protein and has been a staple food for the Bulldogs since they signed with Protea Foods in July.

The Cheltenham-based South African meat producer and supplier has since provided the premiers with their low-salt Protein Punch variety of biltong.

Bulldogs dietitian Claire Saundry said the players primarily ate biltong as a post-training “recovery snack” due to its high protein content.

“The total amount of protein eaten is important, however the body can only use a relatively small amount of protein at any one time,” Ms Saundry said.

“Spreading protein intake over the day and including appropriate recovery options such as Protein Punch after training can achieve a positive protein balance promoting muscle growth.”

Protea Foods administrator Sally Weelson said the family company’s association with the Bulldogs began with coach Luke Beveridge frequenting their store for the dried meat.

“Luke Beveridge likes the stokkies — a type of biltong — then we showed him the Protein Punch, which is another type of biltong which he introduced to the players, and their dietitian loved it,” Mrs Weelson said.

Western Bulldogs hungry for more

“We’ve become very passionate Bulldogs fans and it was really exciting when they won the premiership.

“I’d like to say the players were better for having biltong.”

Protea Foods began more than 50 years ago when Mrs Weelson’s uncle moved to Melbourne from South Africa and opened a deli in Brighton.

He began making biltong and the company grew and moved to Cheltenham, but has always stayed in the family.

Mrs Weelson said Protea Foods also supplied the South African cricket team throughout their recent test series win over Australia.
Have eaten this stuff and it is pretty good.

Not sure if I got any gains from it though. Well at least the ones I want.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EC, It does seem that I have misrepresented you then. You rate our midfield top 4 or 5? Somewhere around that? So do I. That isn't how I read your posts, my mistake.

You want to win another flag, me too. Nineteen effin' years of yelling myself hoarse for nothing but a few Prelims? I'm getting impatient too.

I was one of the people screaming for us to go all in before the trade period, but in the end I liked our decision making process that meant we didn't over-pay for Gibbs or Barlow and we didn't even consider Rockliff. The club did not make a mistake in that area imo, so they wouldn't have to admit to anything there.

If our midfield gets exposed, and we don't rotate players to cover injuries / suspensions then I think the club will have nowhere to turn and will have to cop it on the chin. They have to learn from the teams that have been performing in ALL of their end-of-season and finals games ... having fresh players that have exposed form is essential in getting through to a Premiership.
Just to be clear, top 4-5 is clearly the strongest midfields, average is 9th and below average is 10th and worse. So I'm not sure how you've gone from thinking I've said our midfield is below average to now agreeing with you that our midfield is in the top 4-5, we are somewhere in between, slightly above average.

I believe clearly ahead of us in the midfield are:

GWS
Sydney
Bulldogs
Geelong
West Coast

If Fyfe makes it back to his best Freo are ahead too.
Ports midfield is also better and showed us in the last showdown.

I think we are somewhere around the 7th best midfield and will be overtaken by Melbourne in the next couple of years.

The issue is if we want to win a flag we need our midfield to at least break even with that first group of teams I mentioned and I just can't see that happening in 2017.

Just to be clear, top 4-5 is clearly the strongest midfields, average is 9th and below average is 10th and worse. So I'm not sure how you've gone from thinking I've said our midfield is below average to now agreeing with you that our midfield is in the top 4-5, we are somewhere in between, slightly above average.

GWS
Sydney
Bulldogs
Geelong
West Coast

I think we are somewhere around the 7th best midfield and will be overtaken by Melbourne in the next couple of years.

The issue is if we want to win a flag we need our midfield to at least break even with that first group of teams I mentioned and I just can't see that happening in 2017.
Any of our unproven guys capable of being A grade mids ? I'm not sure but that's what we need , 1 or 2 to jump out like gov did as a forward

Milera best chance ?

Any of our unproven guys capable of being A grade mids ? I'm not sure but that's what we need , 1 or 2 to jump out like gov did as a forward

Milera best chance ?

Do you believe Gov has taken that step or is developing at a reasonable level, he should go to the next phase this year but hasn't made it yet, don't jump the gun, consistency is required

GWS
Sydney
Bulldogs
Geelong
West Coast

i agree with your comments but GWS,Sydney and Bulldogs are way ahead of every other team.

Geelong- if dangerfield or Selwood go down there midfield would be just average.
West Coast- if the midfield does not adapt without NickNat there could struggle and it took them half a year to getting going in 2016 with him.

Fremantle- unlikely to make finals and if there did we should still win by 5-6 goals.
Port-Midfield might be better but far more inconsistent just imagine if we kicked straight in the first half in R22

Do you believe Gov has taken that step or is developing at a reasonable level, he should go to the next phase this year but hasn't made it yet, don't jump the gun, consistency is required

I think he means Gov came outta nowhere. Hardly any of us expected him to be in the best 22 and he just about played every game. Not at an A grade level of course, but was a valuable contributor

If Milera can come in and do that this season, it'll be a big win if he plays in the mids

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fre...k=06769bd8ffd57df48e3bb2d23b3f76e5-1481185930

HOW FAR WILL YOUR CLUB TRAVEL THIS PRE-SEASON?

West Coast Eagles (8256km)

Brisbane Lions (7516km)

Collingwood (7238km)

Melbourne (7017km)

Carlton (6936km)

Essendon (4918km)

North Melbourne (4112km)

Western Bulldogs (3432km)

Geelong Cats (2974km)

Hawthorn (2574km)

Sydney Swans (2529km)

Port Adelaide (2322km)

Gold Coast Suns (2086km)

GWS Giants (1750km)

Adelaide Crows (1518km)

Richmond (1118km)

Fremantle (984km)

St Kilda (652km)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fre...k=06769bd8ffd57df48e3bb2d23b3f76e5-1481185930

Brisbane Lions (7516km)

Collingwood (7238km)

Melbourne (7017km)

Carlton (6936km)

Essendon (4918km)

North Melbourne (4112km)

Geelong Cats (2974km)

Hawthorn (2574km)

Sydney Swans (2529km)

Port Adelaide (2322km)

Gold Coast Suns (2086km)

GWS Giants (1750km)

Adelaide Crows (1518km)

Richmond (1118km)

Fremantle (984km)

St Kilda (652km)
St Kilda is in for a big year.

Brisbane Lions (7516km)

Collingwood (7238km)

Melbourne (7017km)

Carlton (6936km)

Essendon (4918km)

North Melbourne (4112km)

Geelong Cats (2974km)

Hawthorn (2574km)

Sydney Swans (2529km)

Port Adelaide (2322km)