List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Please please please dont draft in the North Melbourne mould.We dont want solid hard slow players.Talent,talent talent must be prioritised.Looking at some of Norths picks;Atley,Ziebel,Gibson,Cunningham,Daw,Anderson,Higgins,Swallow,Petrie,Hansen; it doesnt engender confidence,Yes theres handy players there but no Worldbeaters,lets hope our merry band of former Norf, people leave their background behind.
How on earth have you grouped some of those players (Higgins, Anderson, Daw, Atley) in the 'solid hard slow' category? Complete opposite.

North's midfield is B-grade but it almost strangled us out of the finals last year. If we weren't playing at home that night I daresay we would've been saved from the embarrassment of the GF.

How on earth have you grouped some of those players (Higgins, Anderson, Daw, Atley) in the 'solid hard slow' category? Complete opposite.

North's midfield is B-grade but it almost strangled us out of the finals last year. If we weren't playing at home that night I daresay we would've been saved from the embarrassment of the GF.
Its probably a generalization,taking into account speed, decision making, skills execution, etc slow of mind slow of body.

Some scattergun thoughts:

Will Brodie reaching our first pick is sounding like a chance. This is exciting but it also permeates that he's a 'flight risk'. He says he understands the nature of it and is approachable about playing anywhere, but it seems this question comes to him a fair bit and I think it is something clubs regard.

“You’ve got to understand that it’s out of your control. The possibility of moving interstate, you’ve got to grasp that."
“We’ll see what happens, but it’s the sacrifice you have to make if you want to play AFL footy.” [foxsports]

This, along with his late-season physical duress are what seem to have diminished his standing as a certain top 10 pick.
I think he's a better prospect than SPP (more of a guarantee of midfield aptitude to the level), Gallucci, Berry and probably Simpkin (hard to establish). Hayward being a projection and very much chiefly a forward, if with contemporary midfielder traits to this date make for a tricky comparison, but I'd say there's more substance evident with Brodie.

Outside of Taranto, SPS, Logue or maybe Scrimshaw sliding (all of which seeming outside chances), I think my current draft wish would be for Will.
This said, I can't think of any believable prospect that I would be supremely disappointed with. Gallucci probably the most but that said it sounds like this board misappropriates his attributes to a degree. He has a slight upper body, couldn't be described as tall and often plays in quite mute roles/doesn't offer the requisite production regularly, but he lends speed, power, a reasonable longer kick, leadership and a good leap. I suggest that most of the denouncement from folk in this thread so far spawns from the fact that we're all looking for a player to in some way pose or at least represent a transformation of our midfield unit as a brand (Berry: resolve, size SPP: dynamism, pure physicality, tenacity, can pretend he looks like Dustin Martin SPS: skill, physicality, vision Venables: pace, momentum out of stoppages, goal-kicking Bolton: blistering skill, speed Hayward: power, overhead ability, quickness etc.) At our pick there ought be a handful of players that have displayed one or two of these traits, and I understand and it's probably fair that Jordan isn't likely to be a candidate for this, though it wouldn't outright make him a faulty pick as some suggest. Similarly someone like Ollie Florent, though classy and athletic, probably is going to leave us non-plussed if selected.

This isn't resolving anywhere so let's bundle in to a wishlist slightly bound by realities.

Dream: Taranto
Remarkable and wonderful: SPS, Brodie
Curious and exciting: Logue, Scrimshaw, Hayward, SPP [also belongs below, sorry]
Not to be pessimistically dismissed: Berry, English, Gallucci, Florent, Venables, Simpkin, Perryman
Speculative/Mildly Iffy: S. Bolton, Marshall

Thanks for helping defer my study of complex variables (enough of them in the draft).

Its probably a generalization,taking into account speed, decision making, skills execution, etc slow of mind slow of body.
I agree with what you're saying about the Nth on ball division (especially now without Wells)

I agree with what you're saying about the Nth on ball division (especially now without Wells)
Not that i pay that much attention;but Wells is the only really exciting player i can remember at norf for some time.The Eagles as long as i can remember go for exciting talent with all the pitfalls that brings,i.e Staker,Mcdougall etc but it has its rewards with NN, Kerr etc.Norf,Richmond,Carlton and Melbourne are examples of sides taking Mediocre [ safe ] players and the results show on the scoreboard.

Hasn't Brodie got a foot injury that has kept him out and subsequent fall in the draft ranking ??
This is too strong a draft and we can afford to be picky .

SPP hopefully but anything could happen next week .

I also like that Mick Ablett said Berry has the best leadership traits in the draft. Because we really really need it. Case in point 2015 AFL GF

I liked how he's been told by several coaches he needs to back off the crazy plays where he gets hurt. Sounds like Beau Waters as a junior.

At least this guy is no skinny, outside runner with a man bun who avoids body contact.

Who ever we get wont be playing for years, there are a half dozen 1st and second year players waiting for their turn so from my perspective this draft means very little.

I don't get the Brodie hype.

He's a terrible hand baller and just hacks it out.

Would rather SPP.

Really?

He looked pretty good in the highlight reel by hand. Someone who can stand up in a tackle, get the arms free and loops a handball nicely over to the outside runner.

Brodie at pick 12 would be the steal of the draft, to good to even dream about.

He is rated 3-12 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who ever we get wont be playing for years, there are a half dozen 1st and second year players waiting for their turn so from my perspective this draft means very little.
Gaff and Darling played straight away. Even Lamb got a go straight away. If you're good enough during preseason you put yourself in with a shot.

Hasn't Brodie got a foot injury that has kept him out and subsequent fall in the draft ranking ??
This is too strong a draft and we can afford to be picky .

SPP hopefully but anything could happen next week .
Was a match-by-match proposition including some bowing out. So yes certainly hampered in influence and games played.

Gaff and Darling played straight away. Even Lamb got a go straight away. If you're good enough during preseason you put yourself in with a shot.
If you're good enough yes, Gaff wore the Green Vest for the whole year and Darling got lucky being a man at 18.

Didn't we have second-and-first-year players when our current second-and-first-year players were drafted?

I asked Knightmare as to why he has us taking SPP now in phantom draft as opposed to earlier:

Knightmare
WCE based on draft history tend to favour those who had strong bottom age years. SPP was one who was impressive not only this year as a bottom ager. Just one who makes sense and seems to tick the boxes WCE look for.

There's actually a good chance pick 12 will play at some point next year. Masten, Ebert, Duggan, Sheed, Newman, Naitanui, Sheppard, Cole all got games in their first years along with Gaff, Darling and Lamb mentioned before.

His kicking action is McGinnity-esque from what I can see in videos.

I worry how it'd hold up under constant physical pressure. Might be fine out in space.

We have a lot of players like that already.

Funny you say that cause I don't see it. Looks quite technically sound from what I've seen.

There's actually a good chance pick 12 will play at some point next year. Masten, Ebert, Duggan, Sheed, Newman, Naitanui, Sheppard, Cole all got games in their first years along with Gaff, Darling and Lamb mentioned before.

We were rebuilding for alot of those years but I do think anyone we recruit is a chance to debut, yeah.

Cole, Duggan, nelson, lamb and sheed all played footy in their first year at the club. Partington and karpany are our only two picks in the top 40 to not play in their first season. Barass was pick 43 and didn't play in his first injury interrupted year but has cemented his spot in the 22 in his 3rd season

As usual Tom the Ninja is FOS

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back