List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

No way we use all the picks. May even pass on 2 picks.
I agree we may not use one of those picks even though as I said I think we should but curious as to why you think we wouldn't use two

Cue the universal condemnation for my (realistic) SPP comments...

I'm massively on the pepper wagon and have been for some time but I've always acknowledged that I'm pretty clueless on the merits of the other players possibly available around our pick. For that reason I won't dismiss those who have a different opinion and tbh your assessment is closer to that of most people regarding SPP

That said I believe he's going to be a very good player and is an excellent fit for us. Expect I'll be massively disappointed this time next week because we probably will pick someone else at 12 and there's no chance he's still there at 34

I'm massively on the pepper wagon and have been for some time but I've always acknowledged that I'm pretty clueless on the merits of the other players possibly available around our pick. For that reason I won't dismiss those who have a different opinion and tbh your assessment is closer to that of most people regarding SPP

That said I believe he's going to be a very good player and is an excellent fit for us. Expect I'll be massively disappointed this time next week because we probably will pick someone else at 12 and there's no chance he's still there at 34
I really want him not only because he looks like he could turn a tough game he also has a bit of campaigner about him.

Haha good summary. My personal thoughts from each year.

2007: Masten Vs Palmer Vs Morton Vs Myers

Take Morton. Whoops.

2008: Naitanui Vs Rich, and playing to get Swift!

Nicnat and Swifty. Then we won the draft. But I cursed Jordan Jones over Walters.

2009: Lucas Vs Jetta

I wanted Butcher.

2010: Why the flip didn't we tank to get a PP (Swallow / Bennell), then Gaff Vs Heppell Vs Polec

I wanted Polec. And Lycett with 26. Was so pumped on draft day.

2011: What do we have to trade to get PP for JOM! How can we get Conniglio?! TBH don't recall much of that year, probably because of the ridiculous number of picks GWS got.

That year was shit from memory. Think Port short changed us for Ebert.

2012: We really should try get a PP for Martin / Hogan... Why DF did we trade a 1st for Wellingham?!?!?!... meh

Another shit year, but don't think there were many/any good players apart from Grundy taken after pick 17.

2013: KErrazzy Vozzo!! WATF kind of trade was that!?! Sheed Vs Acres! Acres rulesz!... wait, we could have had Aish/Scharenberg and Lewis Taylor?!? arrggghhh!!

I was mad with Yeo for 31 instead of 28.

And didn't understand why we used our priority pick. But it got us Barrass.

2014: Ahern? Weller? Lever? ZOMGGG!! Cockatooooo!!!! Woweee, Laverde! wait.. Duggan? As in vanilla?

I wanted cockatoo. Happy with duggs. Wanted blakely though.

2015: *sigh* traded first pick again... save Callum Sinclair!! / yay Jetta!

Pretty happy considering the picks we had.
2014 was all about Ahern vs De Goey vs Cockatoo

Duggan was linked with us later on and I think everyone expected Laverde to be taken before our pick

My 2 cents.

Given his qualities, I do understand the SPP love, but he has deficiencies and this is a very strong draft. Reality check guys, he is not worth our first pick. I am confident the club won't take him at 12, and I would be disappointed if we did. Just because he likes the "don't argue" doesn't make him another Dustin Martin. At the same age, Martin had already proved himself an elite kick and high production player. He was miles ahead of where SPP is at the same age...

The talk of Brodie sliding is bemusing. Clearly top 5 on performance, so maybe there is something else going on there... if he lasted till our pick it would be a gift from the gods. If we passed on him, it would be the definition of insanity (unless, as I say, there is something else going on...).

Unless one of SPS, Taranto or Brodie were to somehow slide (all unlikely), I am vouching for Berry. He is tough, quick, versatile, good overhead, good user, good tank and is a leader. If he is available, he would be a great get at 12, and is the sort of player I see the club picking.

At the risk of being overly bias to the nth ballarat boys, I would also love to see us nab Drew at our second (unless there was an obvious slider like SPP). We need ball winners.

*Pessimistic

Between Berry and SPP, I personally feel the latter would be better suited for us.

What do we lack in the middle? Leadership? Class?

We severely lack an extra mid with a hurt factor who will consistently show up when it matters most. Yeo was supposed to fill that role, but he just hasn't come on.

Additionally, we need extra grunt and mongrel, someone who will tear the head of the opposition and shit down their throat. We need someone who will really hurt the enemy in every way possible.

Do we already have a midfielder with Berry's best attributes? Yes, and his name is Liam Duggan.

Do we have a midfielder who will bleed blue and gold, destroy the scoreboard and beat the opposition into a pulp? No.

Does Sammy fit our needs? Absolutely.

You're severely underrating SPP in every facet that he could bring.

My 2 cents.

Given his qualities, I do understand the SPP love, but he has deficiencies and this is a very strong draft. Reality check guys, he is not worth our first pick. I am confident the club won't take him at 12, and I would be disappointed if we did. Just because he likes the "don't argue" doesn't make him another Dustin Martin. At the same age, Martin had already proved himself an elite kick and high production player. He was miles ahead of where SPP is at the same age...

The talk of Brodie sliding is bemusing. Clearly top 5 on performance, so maybe there is something else going on there... if he lasted till our pick it would be a gift from the gods. If we passed on him, it would be the definition of insanity (unless, as I say, there is something else going on...).

Unless one of SPS, Taranto or Brodie were to somehow slide (all unlikely), I am vouching for Berry. He is tough, quick, versatile, good overhead, good user, good tank and is a leader. If he is available, he would be a great get at 12, and is the sort of player I see the club picking.

At the risk of being overly bias to the nth ballarat boys, I would also love to see us nab Drew at our second (unless there was an obvious slider like SPP). We need ball winners.

I agree with you on SPP if we do pick him up and his disposal effeciency doesn't improve there will be a bigger SPP discussion thread than the Priddis one.

*Pessimistic

Between Berry and SPP, I personally feel the latter would be better suited for us.

What do we lack in the middle? Leadership? Class?

We severely lack an extra mid with a hurt factor who will consistently show up when it matters most. Yeo was supposed to fill that role, but he just hasn't come on.

Additionally, we need extra grunt and mongrel, someone who will tear the head of the opposition and shit down their throat. We need someone who will really hurt the enemy in every way possible.

Do we already have a midfielder with Berry's best attributes? Yes, and his name is Liam Duggan.

Do we have a midfielder who will bleed blue and gold, destroy the scoreboard and beat the opposition into a pulp? No.

Does Sammy fit our needs? Absolutely.

You're severely underrating SPP in every facet that he could bring.
Note that Berry has leadership qualities and toughness. They are probably his best attributes.
The slight knock on both from what i have read are production in terms of high disposal numbers and if they can transition into AFL quality midfielders.

I agree with you on SPP if we do pick him up and his disposal effeciency doesn't improve there will be a bigger SPP discussion thread than the Priddis one.
I'm almost resigned to the fact West Coast will not draft him. Too much second guessing on the flaws which is basically the list management crew having no faith in the development crew. There will be a thread on them passing on a kid that they saw every week, that trained with them on multiple occasions and wanted to be an Eagle only to see him win games for someone else. He's a pretty loyal kid too, can easily see him being a one club player.

No way we use all the picks. May even pass on 2 picks.
We will use at least one of the last two.

I'm almost resigned to the fact West Coast will not draft him. Too much second guessing on the flaws which is basically the list management crew having no faith in the development crew. There will be a thread on them passing on a kid that they saw every week, that trained with them on multiple occasions and wanted to be an Eagle only to see him win games for someone else. He's a pretty loyal kid too, can easily see him being a one club player.

We will use at least one of the last two.

So true Barney the kid just desperately wants to play for us.
He already has a connection to the club and several WCE players.
Bleeds blue and gold is really a true feeling with this kid, will lay his body on the line for the club.
Players will lift around him has real field presence and Beau Waters style leadership.
He is a perfect fit for our club and we may over look him.

Berry will need to become a superstar, as i honestly think SPP has the ability to become one of the best
in the AFL if developed correctly.
(kerr and Fyfe both late draft picks that became some of the best in afl with good development)

As for draft picks been told we will use 4 draft picks minimum.

Thinkin about small forwards Liam Ryan is up and down on this board, Ben Jarman also a chance seeing as adelaide said gagf. But i put to everyone Ben Ronke small extremely fast and by the looks a real hard tackler and chaser number 28

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinkin about small forwards Liam Ryan is up and down on this board, Ben Jarman also a chance seeing as adelaide said gagf. But i put to everyone Ben Ronke small extremely fast and by the looks a real hard tackler and chaser number 28

And there is rioli to consider as a small forward- perhaps as a rookie?

There are good forward pocket options every year and we never draft them (despite need).

Taking a vanilla midfielder Will Maginness over Charlie Cameron in the rookie draft says it all really.
Why would we need a forward pocket, we can just draft a short midfielder and play them out of position :drunk:
(Or re-sign Mitch Brown)

There are good forward pocket options every year and we never draft them (despite need).

Taking a vanilla midfielder Will Maginness over Charlie Cameron in the rookie draft says it all really.
We don't believe in small forwards. I reckon the only three we've drafted in the past 10 years have been rookie discards Dick and Bedford, and world's lightest man Lewis Broome.

Not a Berry fan.

Low production yet good endurance, regularly injured and average usage.

He doesn't excel at one position. I can see him being a less explosive Yeo, without the big leap. Roaming flanker mid, who gets 10-15 touches, has the odd brain fade and works through injury.

Not a popular opinion, but I rate Simpkin and would happily see us take him.

If I could sum up my positions, I wouldn't be unhappy with SPP, I think he will do well, but his handpassing is more worrying than kicks. I want him playing as a defensive forward or mid, who can burst from stoppages. People talk Dustin Martin, but I would prefer him in a Toby Greene type role. Not as big a ball winner, but better on the move. Still, strong mark, tackle, ability to collect a moving ball and good goal sense.

Bolton will find the AFL a challenge at first, the pressure will make his average footskills worse and his tendency to blaze away will take seasons to iron out. Will be better around contests with time than his low pressure style can sometimes indicate.

SPS could be a star, his kicking is overrated though. Should be an inside mid, not flanker. Has cruised this year and any team that passes him over after pick 3 will regret the decision.

Logue will make it. Could end up one of the best of the draft. Underrated by some, improve his marking/hands and he will be a beast KPD.

Not a fan of English, big time boom/bust. Better ruck than Lobb, but lacks Lobbs wiry core. No marking game as yet.

Taranto could be a top 3 pick. Way better than 7-15. Has it all.

Scrimshaw won't be a mid. But he will be an epic flanker. Shocked he could slide. Has KK like dash and Birchal like decision making. Stuff needs, if he is available, take him.

Marshall isn't a typical KPF. Will also require patience. Reckon he will be a good utility in the right team, but is a 20+ player.

Rotham is underrated and if he slides till our second could end up a good role player. Think Schofield improved. Great athleticism, good intercept play, but low production and needs to use his run a bit more. Skinnyness isn't an issue, but he is a flanker, and should stay in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back