2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty keen to see us play Sydney at home so we can finally boo tippett

Less Perth trips the better

And one Thursday night and 2 Friday night's at home hopefully against hawthorn , Geelong and pies

Fagan said he wanted more thursday night games in an interview a while, I don't have a link but it just stuck out to me, it maybe because we don't think we can friday night or it maybe in preference to friday

I remember him saying that around the time the tv deal was announced.

I'm a big fan of the Thursday night game, I think people complain because it's different.

There are probably as many, if not far more members who can't attend other time slots, but they don't complain because we are used to them.

Two Thursday night crowds in excess of 50k suggests the time slot is popular and anything that brings event football to AO is only a good thing.

Thursday nights work really well at AO - dinner on the Riverbank straight from work and then the game - remember the Thursday night Collingwood game in 2014? Sensational.

I'd like at least 2 Thursday night games (3 would be better), 2 Friday night games (3 would be better) and less Sunday arvo games (they are a pain in the rear end).

I would guess that our double ups will be against

Port
Hawthorn
WCE
Geelong
North

Round one home game against Geelong.
Round 1 falls on easter. Geelong are playing the hawks on easter Monday. that fixture is a lock, has been for the past few years. and we are due to play away in round 1 next year as port played away this year in round 1.

I reckon we will get two thurs night games and 1 Friday night game. We are due to play the pies at home this year so I reckon we will get them on a thurs night again. I will be sure to book annual leave on the Friday after any thurs night game... cant risk losing the game then having to front up to work 9 hours later in a bad mood lol

So we play away Easter (Round 1), so no Easter Sunday home game next year?
As part of the Pear mercy-F scheduling, we will start at home in round 1 because Adelaide fans love Easter Sunday matches. In return for helping out the Crows, the Pear will play their last minor round match at home which is important because they are an early favorite for the flag and it will help the AFL scheduling in the first week of the finals.

I really enjoy thursday nights, flexi on friday - happy days.

2 x Thursday night
2 x Friday night
4 x Saturday night
3 x Sunday 2.30pm

We are due for some high drawing vic teams, not gws, gc, melb, saints combo we seem to get every bloody year.

If we get a tough draw, I say bring it on. It will harden up the players and will come in handy when we face them in the finals (and hopefully avoid a repeat of the semi final debacle)

Not only that but the bottom line is that more often than not it is WHEN you play teams not necessarily WHO you play. On paper what can look like a "loss" in January could very easily be a good shot at victory in July when a particular game is scheduled.

Injuries, form, etc...all those intangibles can not be predicted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really enjoy thursday nights, flexi on friday - happy days.

2 x Thursday night
2 x Friday night
4 x Saturday night
3 x Sunday 2.30pm

We are due for some high drawing vic teams, not gws, gc, melb, saints combo we seem to get every bloody year.

Also due for blocbusters v Carlton and Brisbane. Eek.

Also due for blocbusters v Carlton and Brisbane. Eek.

I might be a bit weird but I would rather watch us play Carlton than Brisbane, GWS or GC (like watching Ablett though) - there's not as much "atmosphere". Probably will grow as the new teams evolve but at the moment there's no passion.

I might be a bit weird but I would rather watch us play Carlton than Brisbane, GWS or GC (like watching Ablett though) - there's not as much "atmosphere". Probably will grow as the new teams evolve but at the moment there's no passion.
I see Gold Coast and GWS as artificial intruders, so I'm pretty passionate when we play them. The AFC was created to represent a million South Australian football supporters, they were created to represent a tiny niche and to increase the TV rights deal.

I wonder if we will play Carlton or Western Bulldogs in Adelaide? When's the last time they've come here?
The issue with playing the lowly ranked Vic teams in Adelaide is that means our Vic games would have to be against higher ranked sides. The AFL don't want the best Vic teams to be playing home games against interstate teams that Vic crowds won't attend.

The issue with playing the lowly ranked Vic teams in Adelaide is that means our Vic games would have to be against higher ranked sides. The AFL don't want the best Vic teams to be playing home games against interstate teams that Vic crowds won't attend.

I don't doubt the validity of your statement for a second--but that mindset is bonkers to me. Why would (for example) a Hawks supporter not want to go watch them play West Coast at the MCG in July? They would rather roll out for a game versus Melbourne or Carlton? I get that you are likely going to watch a W if you see the latter teams play---but personally, I would rather see a great matchup in person.

I just don't get that....o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back