2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't doubt the validity of your statement for a second--but that mindset is bonkers to me. Why would (for example) a Hawks supporter not want to go watch them play West Coast at the MCG in July? They would rather roll out for a game versus Melbourne or Carlton? I get that you are likely going to watch a W if you see the latter teams play---but personally, I would rather see a great matchup in person.

I just don't get that....o_O
I never understood it either but even when Gold Coast and GWS come good I doubt I'll have any interest in watching them. For whatever reason Victorians look at Adelaide and other interstate clubs the same way, as franchises rather than clubs passionately formed by states that love football.

I never understood it either but even when Gold Coast and GWS come good I doubt I'll have any interest in watching them. For whatever reason Victorians look at Adelaide and other interstate clubs the same way, as franchises rather than clubs passionately formed by states that love football.

Just reinforces that our two countries are sometimes very distinct indeed. While we may argue over which section of the country has the "best" football or baseball or basketball...people still show up for good matchups regardless.

Nothing wrong with either way---it is just different.

As an aside, since I do like to occasionally catch games other then the Crows--seems to me that the Victorians aren't turning out for much of anything aside from 1 or 2 big games a year.

I remember him saying that around the time the tv deal was announced.

I'm a big fan of the Thursday night game, I think people complain because it's different.

There are probably as many, if not far more members who can't attend other time slots, but they don't complain because we are used to them.

Two Thursday night crowds in excess of 50k suggests the time slot is popular and anything that brings event football to AO is only a good thing.
I doubt targeting Thursday nights has much to do with drawing crowds - we draw decent crowds on Sunday afternoons - motive number one with a bullet would be capturing an exclusive television audience and to sell that to sponsors.

I doubt targeting Thursday nights has much to do with drawing crowds - we draw decent crowds on Sunday afternoons - motive number one with a bullet would be capturing an exclusive television audience and to sell that to sponsors.

That's the main reason for sure, being able to go to potential sponsors with 2 stand alone Thursday night games in front of a national free to air audience sounds a lot better than a couple of the Sunday afternoon games, hidden away on Foxtel.

I was just saying there is no crowd drop off, probably an increase, so enough people like them to counter the argument against them and that more people are probably unable to attend other time slots but are less vocal because we are used to them.

The AFL are apparently going to reward the Doggies for coming 7th with a better fixture and some Friday night games. They used the same logic for gifting Port better time slots in 2014 after winning a final in 2013 as well. Using this logic, I wonder if we'll get similar treatment in 2016 after we won a final this year? I won't hold my breath:rolleyes:.

We have biggest victorian supporter base of any interstate club and it's well known our fans travel in big numbers to Melbourne, us playing the top vic clubs would get more than those same vic clubs playing North, Stkilda or the bulldogs.

We have biggest victorian supporter base of any interstate club and it's well known our fans travel in big numbers to Melbourne, us playing the top vic clubs would get more than those same vic clubs playing North, Stkilda or the bulldogs.
On top of that we (the players I mean) generally show up for Friday/Thursday night games lately and play some real good footy.

My best guess is we get a couple Thursday nighters, a couple Friday nighters and a few Saturday nighters. I can see the Thursday and Friday nighters being one home and one away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't like how finals wins count for where you finish on the ladder, because we won a game we finished in the top third but over 22 games we finished 7th.

So now we double up on 3 top 6 teams and also play port twice who will most likely be a top 6 team as well.

Meh. If you can't make the finals on the back of a difficult draw, you aren't going to get anywhere in said finals anyway.

Win the games against the also-rans and split with the heavyweights---recipe for a Finals berth each and every year.

(Pittspuke Squeelers made a living off of that formula in American football for years--sweep the Browns and Bungles and split with the ratbirds=5-1, each and every year. Needed only to go 5-5 against everyone else and punch a ticket to the playoffs and sometimes 4-6 was good enough).

**edited because I am not smart enough to add correctly***

Last edited:
Win the games against the also-rans and split with the heavyweights---recipe for a Finals berth each and every year.

(Pittspuke Squeelers made a living off of that formula in American football for years--sweep the Browns and Bungles and split with the ratbirds=4-2, each and every year. Needed only to go 6-4 against everyone else and punch a ticket to the playoffs and sometimes 5-5 was good enough)
Unfortately we have a habit of dropping two games a year to a couple previous years bottom four sides leaving us always 1 game in or out of the finals every year.

That's our formula!

Unfortately we have a habit of dropping two games a year to a couple previous years bottom four sides leaving us always 1 game in or out of the finals every year.

That's our formula!

Agreed---although we did a little bit better this season and that is why it went the other way.

Selfishly hoping for two Queensland games again' with preference for twighlight or Saturday night games.

Sorry...there can be NO twilight games. I posted that request page one---therefore, you are too late!

If that schedule comes out with a bunch of twilight games, I want your phone number because I am calling you at 3am (your time) just out of the principle of the thing! :p

I would love more Saturday twilight. One of the best time slots as can go out afterward and not have a late night.

For me order goes: Friday night. Saturday twilight/night. Thursday night. Saturday/Sunday arvo......Sunday twilight

Sorry...there can be NO twilight games. I posted that request page one---therefore, you are too late!

If that schedule comes out with a bunch of twilight games, I want your phone number because I am calling you at 3am (your time) just out of the principle of the thing! :p

But but but. :(

I would love more Saturday twilight. One of the best time slots as can go out afterward and not have a late night.

For me order goes: Friday night. Saturday twilight/night. Thursday night. Saturday/Sunday arvo......Sunday twilight

But but but. :(

:eek:

Your number too---will be making lots of calls on Friday afternoons it seems.

lol Purely selfish, the Brisbane one to be twighlight, that means the post match doesn't finish too late for us to back up for the 7am brekky in the morning! I'll give you the Gold Coast game - Saturday afternoon or night please.

lol Purely selfish, the Brisbane one to be twighlight, that means the post match doesn't finish too late for us to back up for the 7am brekky in the morning! I'll give you the Gold Coast game - Saturday afternoon or night please.

Perhaps, you didn't realize..this is not about YOU..this is about the AMERICAN. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back