List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Balic got an invite last year yet went at pick 38. Collins got one too. I'm sure there's plenty that have got invites but never made it in the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That statement is one that is thrown around a lot for a lit of players and I can tell you it is absolute bs. Talent outweighs a few extra cms.
Fair enough wiz, i praised you for your picks on the phantom site
i thought you picked the eyes out of it. This draft is very much
a who will be the best player in five years type of draft, even
with the top picks it's a tough question to answer.

following the BF phantom draft, good job so far Wizard17 it seems, as what has been spoken about before. that this years draft is very open and each team could have a different draft big board.

with so many kids slipping to late 40s-50s in the Phantom, on draft night what players could slip that might be seen as top 25 talent?

following the BF phantom draft, good job so far Wizard17 it seems, as what has been spoken about before. that this years draft is very open and each team could have a different draft big board.

with so many kids slipping to late 40s-50s in the Phantom, on draft night what players could slip that might be seen as top 25 talent?
There are guys yet to be drafted who could turn into quality
players, i won't name them as they have not been drafted
yet.

Kids like B. Cox, Maibum, some Academy boys that GWS might not be able to match on.

The options for key backs is not the greatest this year and I remain quite unconvinced on all our available options.

Since I've got the night off I thought I'd go through the listed ones at the combine plus a few extras

Maibaum doesn't really suit our system that well and has stagnated a bit this season. He's always had a very good defensive game, shut out some good opponents even last year. But his offensive game has not developed much at all and he has limited upside. I would not complain if we got him at our 3rd pick, but I won't be thrilled either. I'm not convinced he's going to be much better then what we already have.

Brennan Cox
is a talent that suits our game style, but there's question marks on his intensity which I absolutely hate. What often happens to players with questionable intensity is they spend 5-6 years on your list teasing you with there talent but in the end they can never quite figure it out or they spend 5-6 years on your list teasing you with there talent then when they finally do end up figuring it out you realise they weren't that good in the first place see Jarrad Grant, Andrejs Everitt etc. I'd rather not waste years trying to figure it out and Dalrymple doesn't have a history of picking these types either.

Macreadie, I don't think will end up as a key defender. I spoke to his dad last year and he seemed to think he played his best footy in the midfield. His coach in the inside footy magazine also says "Long term I think he's a midfielder". He definitely has the composure in traffic to play more in the midfield. I would not be upset if we put in a bid at our 2nd pick, but I would be a little surprised

Rotham will be a third tall, don't think he will have the strength to play as a key defender. He's a good talent with a really nice kick and good intercept but he's got a fair bit to work on if he's going to make it. His endurance is quite poor including his V02 score which means he's unlikely to spend much time in the midfield going forward. He also needs to work on his contested ball. I doubt we would look at him at our first 2 picks.

Ridley won't be a key defender either. He is versatile though, played especially well across half back and in the midfield towards the end of the season. Got a heap of the ball and his use was very good. Seems a very hard worker, he's improved a lot since last year. I can't really identify any major weakness with him now. Still has plenty of upside as he does have a fairly skinny body. I'd be happy and not at all surprised if his name was called out at our 2nd pick.

McLarty could be a good key defender or forward. Hard to get a read on him this year as he's been injured, but saw a fair bit of him last year. His speed, attack on the ball and his marking is what stands out with him. He's also a good size, tested in at nearly 197cm at the combine. Will be interesting to see how clubs rate him as apparently he has a bionic ear, so he has a bit of a hearing problem there. Anyway I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him with one of our later picks as he has played some really good footy at times, he just hasn't done it consistently

Garthwaite's an interesting one as he's done some good jobs on key talls and smalls. He's capable of finding a fair bit of the ball and intercepting as well. Could be a Dale Morris replacement perhaps although I'm not entirely convinced he has the athletic capabilities to make it. He is a decent athlete but the one time I have seen him beaten was against Battle who had better pace off the mark, stronger endurance and had the smarts to go with it. These are the types he's going to come up against and I don't think Battle is an amazing athlete either. That was just the one time though, everyone is entitled to a bad day I guess. He might be worth a shot at our last pick.

Declan Watson is not someone I've seen much of. His strength is his reading of the play and taking intercept marks from his profile. He doesn't get beaten much one on one and is composed. His agility needs some work though and he only tested in at 191cm so again may not end up as a key defender.

Himmelberg I really like most things about him from the little I've seen of him except his kicking and decision making. He has very good agility and endurance and likes to get a bit physical and aggressive. Can play as a hard running CHF or key back. A bid at our 2nd pick could be possible if we think we can tidy up his ball use, but I'm not so sure. A bid at our 3rd is probably more likely. Has a lot of potential.

Sproule listed as a forward, but played a lot in defence in the TAC finals. He's quite a good athlete with his agility and endurance very good for a big guy. However I'm not sure he impacts the contest enough and he still some way to go in regards to his football smarts. I personally would not consider him at our first 2 picks, would only look at him with our last 2 picks.

Mitchell McCarthy I've liked the look of from the little I've seen. Comes from a basketball background so is still very raw. He has some good athleticism especially his leap so he could play as a 2nd ruck if needed. I've liked the look of him in defense though, he has the ability to take an intercept mark and generally uses it quite well. Would look at him at our last two picks, he will be a project player

Harrison Bult is quite an impressive athlete and beautiful kick of the ball. Very raw and skinny at this stage though. May even end up developing on a wing. Would only consider as a rookie

Last edited:
The options for key backs is not the greatest this year and I remain quite unconvinced on all our available options.

Since I've got the night off I thought I'd go through the listed ones at the combine plus a few extras

Maibaum doesn't really suit our system that well and has stagnated a bit this season. He's always had a very good defensive game, shut out some good opponents even last year. But his offensive game has not developed much at all and he has limited upside. I would not complain if we got him at our 3rd pick, but I won't be thrilled either. I'm not convinced he's going to be much better then what we already have.

Brennan Cox
is a talent that suits our game style, but there's question marks on his intensity which I absolutely hate. What often happens to players with questionable intensity is they spend 5-6 years on your list teasing you with there talent but in the end they can never quite figure it out or they spend 5-6 years on your list teasing you with there talent then when they finally do end up figuring it out you realise they weren't that good in the first place see Jarrad Grant, Andrejs Everitt etc. I'd rather not waste years trying to figure it out and Dalrymple doesn't have a history of picking these types either.

Macreadie, I don't think will end up as a key defender. I spoke to his dad last year and he seemed to think he played his best footy in the midfield. His coach in the inside footy magazine also says "Long term I think he's a midfielder". He definitely has the composure in traffic to play more in the midfield. I would not be upset if we put in a bid at our 2nd pick, but I would be a little surprised

Rotham will be a third tall, don't think he will have the strength to play as a key defender. He's a good talent with a really nice kick and good intercept but he's got a fair bit to work on if he's going to make it. His endurance is quite poor including his V02 score which means he's unlikely to spend much time in the midfield going forward. He also needs to work on his contested ball. I doubt we would look at him at our first 2 picks.

Ridley won't be a key defender either. He is versatile though, played especially well across half back and in the midfield towards the end of the season. Got a heap of the ball and his use was very good. Seems a very hard worker, he's improved a lot since last year. I can't really identify any major weakness with him now. Still has plenty of upside as he does have a fairly skinny body. I'd be happy and not at all surprised if his name was called out at our 2nd pick.

McLarty could be a good key defender or forward. Hard to get a read on him this year as he's been injured, but saw a fair bit of him last year. His speed, attack on the ball and his marking is what stands out with him. He's also a good size, tested in at nearly 197cm at the combine. Will be interesting to see how clubs rate him as apparently he has a bionic ear, so he has a bit of a hearing problem there. Anyway I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him with one of our later picks as he has played some really good footy at times, he just hasn't done it consistently

Garthwaite's an interesting one as he's done some good jobs on key talls and smalls. He's capable of finding a fair bit of the ball and intercepting as well. Could be a Dale Morris replacement perhaps although I'm not entirely convinced he has the athletic capabilities to make it. He is a decent athlete but the one time I have seen him beaten was against Battle who had better pace off the mark, stronger endurance and had the smarts to go with it. These are the types he's going to come up against and I don't think Battle is an amazing athlete either. That was just the one time though, everyone is entitled to a bad day I guess. He might be worth a shot at our last pick.

Declan Watson is not someone I've seen much of. His strength is his reading of the play and taking intercept marks from his profile. He doesn't get beaten much one on one and is composed. His agility needs some work though and he only tested in at 191cm so again may not end up as a key defender.

Himmelberg I really like most things about him from the little I've seen of him except his kicking and decision making. He has very good agility and endurance and likes to get a bit physical and aggressive. Can play as a hard running CHF or key back. A bid at our 2nd pick could be possible if we think we can tidy up his ball use, but I'm not so sure. A bid at our 3rd is probably more likely. Has a lot of potential.

Sproule listed as a forward, but played a lot in defence in the TAC finals. He's quite a good athlete with his agility and endurance very good for a big guy. However I'm not sure he impacts the contest enough and he still some way to go in regards to his football smarts. I personally would not consider him at our first 2 picks, would only look at him with our last 2 picks.

Mitchell McCarthy I've liked the look of from the little I've seen. Comes from a basketball background so is still very raw. He has some good athleticism especially his leap so he could play as a 2nd ruck if needed. I've liked the look of him in defense though, he has the ability to take an intercept mark and generally uses it quite well. Would look at him at our last two picks, he will be a project player

Harrison Bult is quite an impressive athlete and beautiful kick of the ball. Very raw and skinny at this stage though. May even end up developing on a wing. Would only consider as a rookie

terrific write-up. keep up the good work mate

Brennan Cox

Nice write up on Mitchell McCarthy in five years he could be the
best KPD to come out of this draft, but with his broken foot and
game sense issues he could be the next Cameron Giles just as
easily. He has something though and is very promising.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Back