List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bit of grain of salt here but apparently Hannan and Long will be training with Dogs.
Heard the club wants to help improve conditioning to some of their younger vfl players

Yeah that's good news.

Wonder how GWS get setter field when those vital picks have now been stripped. They will have to go into severe deficit.
They'll still be able to get Setterfield no problems but losing those two picks will cost them about 1,500 points and leave them with only about 2,000 to play with assuming the bids will come after their pick 2. It could potentially cost them a couple of their other academy players maybe.

Not sure how the dept situation would play out next season though assuming that bids for the likes of Cumming and Sproule might come in the second round, as Hawthorn currently has GWS' second rounder for next year and GWS have both Collingwood and St Kilda's second round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does that work though? Does he take up one of our 4 rookie spots or does any club with cat b rookies get an extra list spot?
Doesn't take up a rookie spot. He has to get through the national and rookie drafts before we can sign him up as a Catagory B under the new next generation academy system, but that seems more than likely.

How does that work though? Does he take up one of our 4 rookie spots or does any club with cat b rookies get an extra list spot?
Cat B players are outside the Cap and can name any amount but are treated like Rookies
Would need to be promoted to play AFL Games

Apologies if this belongs in the media thread...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/to...s/news-story/dd061deff39c91de3db26245e8271ec0

Top draft prospects reveal strangest questions they have been asked by AFL clubs
NOVEMBER 14, 201612:37PM

Pick Me: Todd Marshall
external

origin:video_integrator.p4ZmppNzE6aczG67QQBMr-NfJVLGJOsi

Herald Sun
ESSENDON will have plenty to ponder when it decides who to take with the No.1 draft pick.

The Bombers are up to their ears in junior footy stats, scouting reports, draft combine results and character references.

So when you have the potential top draft choice in front of you, what do you ask them?

Hugh McCluggage, the hot tip to join the Bombers on November 25, has revealed the answer: Can you count backwards in sevens from 230?

“It was pretty tough,” he said in a video on the AFL website. “I stumbled on the first one but once I got going I was all right.”

Clubs regularly throw curly questions at draft prospects in their bids to gain an insight into how their brain works.

Murray Bushrangers midfielder Will Brodie revealed last month some of the mind games clubs played at this year’s draft combine.

“One club asked me that if I was driving and my brother was in the back seat with a broken leg and I was at a red light, would I go straight through it?” he said.

45832f5036e0232c2be4e0ff80672398

Potential No. 1 draft pick Hugh McCluggage.Source:Getty Images

Alex Witherden was asked if he bites his fingernails and one club wanted to know if Griffin Logue picks up after his dog (“If it’s at home then yea but if it’s in the grass, it’s all right isn’t it?” was his reply).

A number of likely first-round draftees were asked to spell words backwards — Will Setterfield copped “sausage”, Jordan Galluci “quadrangle” and the Bombers asked Tim Taranto to spell “Washington” backwards.

Jack Scrimshaw could slide down the order based on his answer when asked to divide 217 by three. Asked how he went, he said “not too good, to be honest”.

But if the Bulldogs had doubts about key forward Todd Marshall it seems they were allayed.

“The Bulldogs were really keen (to know) if I had a girlfriend or not,” he said.

“I do. They just kept harping on it.”

Originally published as What question would you ask the No.1 draft pick?

Article on Dion Johnstone
DION Johnstone addresses the large group with a confidence which once eluded him.

He stands in front of his Scotch College teammates, opponents and families and talks about the day’s game without a hint of the shyness which followed him to Melbourne from his home town of Warrnambool three years earlier.

The talented goalsneak embraced the captaincy bestowed upon him in his final year at the private school.

It was a leadership role he never expected to assume when he arrived in year 10 via Brauer College on an indigenous excellence scholarship.

“When I first went there I didn’t really speak much, was really shy, and it also didn’t help not knowing people,” Johnstone said.

“But it encourages you just to talk to people and get to know people. It’s definitely helped me confidence-wise also being the captain of Scotch.

“I wasn’t that good a public speaker but after every game I had to say a speech on behalf of the Scotch team in front of parents and the other teams as well, which also helped my confidence a lot.”

Johnstone is hoping the personal growth he’s shown, coupled with the courage to leave home at a young age to pursue his dreams, will encourage an AFL club to draft him later this month.

He has shown his capabilities – namely speed, toughness and goal nous – at various levels over the past two years playing in the Associated Private School system, TAC Cup for Oakleigh Chargers and at his home club, Hampden league contender North Warrnambool Eagles.

Those traits earned him a nomination as an indigenous category B rookie.

Reigning premier Western Bulldogs can select Johnstone outside its regular salary cap if it wishes.

“It’s basically like a third-chance thing because they want to get more Aboriginal and multicultural kids in the AFL,” he said.

“So if I don’t go in the national or rookie drafts, it’s a category B for kids who have been nominated.

“I was lucky enough to be nominated by the Bulldogs. They have first priority over me in that category B draft. If they don’t want me another club can.

“It is definitely something handy and I am very privileged to have because not many other kids have it.”

Johnstone credits Scotch College for elevating him to that position.

A country lad at heart, he took time to settle into his new surrounds.

But he persisted, made friends and adjusted to a different way of life – one with shared dormitories and an added emphasis on study and extra curricular activities.

“It’s probably the best thing I have ever done,” Johnstone said of his decision to move away at 15.

“It’s helped me to be the person I am today, helped me mature, I guess, especially living away from home.

“That was difficult. The first month I couldn’t really do it. I was thinking ‘I want to go home’ and was missing my friends and family.

“But you keep pushing through it and you make friends and it becomes a helluva lot easier.

”They’re obviously a high, elite school and that’s how they present themselves.

“I remember when I went there for an interview to meet the principal and look around the school, I was just looking around and couldn’t really believe how big it was and the way they went about things – their school work, their sports, music and science.”

North Warrnambool Eagles draft hopeful Dion Johnstone on his football journey

Johnstone started to feel a sense of belonging at the end of year 10. The following year was a memorable one, particularly on the field.

The former Dennington junior became a TAC Cup premiership player with Oakleigh Chargers as a bottom-age prospect.

“Going all the way and winning the premiership and knowing I could play in that high level gave me a confidence boost coming into this year,” he said.

The 2016 season got off to a shaky start for Johnstone but he finished strongly, kicking 17 goals in his last six games as Oakleigh ended with a flurry.

He also made cameo appearances for North Warrnambool Eagles.

“I was a bit slow to start off; I wasn’t happy with the start I had this year,” Johnstone said.

“But towards the end of the year and in the finals series I was really happy with my performances.”

Former North Warrnambool Eagles coach Bernard Moloney handed Johnstone a senior debut as a 16-year-old, throwing him into the deep end on the 2014 qualifying final stage.

“Gerard Lourey, who was my assistant coach at the start, followed him during the year and we discussed him a bit and decided to take a risk,” he said.

“Graeme Twaddle (the current Eagles coach) assisted him through the Clontarf Academy early on as well, so we did our homework on him.

“What impressed me about him was he was a really enthusiastic young fella who was prepared to play the game asked of him.

“We wanted someone on a wing who could break the lines and penetrate into the forward line. And he has a good defensive side to his game.”

Johnstone, who played in the Eagles’ first senior grand final in September, missed out on an invite to the AFL state combine. He tested at the ‘Rookie Me’ camp a month out from the draft in a bid to impress recruiters one last time.

“It’s hit me this year knowing this is my year and I have to do something about it if I want to succeed in getting that dream,” he said.

“I’d be over the moon (to get drafted). I wouldn’t know what to do – I wouldn’t think it’s real at the start.”

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Back