List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen us linked to Todd Marshall, Will Hayward, Luke Ryan and Cedric Cox.

From Pann's little bit of info he says we've met with Tim English and Tristan Tweedie.

Can't warm to the thought of English.
Just looks like a bloke that could takes years to have an impact , and I'm running out of years !

I'm getting more excited about Marshall (which probably means will pass on him). But he's got the build/attributes that are similar to Darcy Moore and he's going alright isn't he?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Moore was physically more developed than what Marshall is, the thing that concerns me the most is how he physically develops

The hope would be once he is more physically ready that he'd be able to show his glimpses of been a top AFL key forward more consistently

Maybe we get lucky with his physical development though, the rest would be up to him.

The issue with Marshall from my perspective is that, historically, junior production is the best predictor of future success for key forwards - much more than for other positions. More often than not, if you don't perform in the under 18s as a key forward, you never perform at AFL level. Marshall's production seems to have been pretty poor and well below expectations.

Now, it is of course not foolproof, and Marshall could be an exception. That's for the recruiters to decide. That said, though, it's easy to get swayed by athleticism and potential - there's a bit more to it than that though, for key forwards especially. Marshall fails arguably the most important test of all for his position.

The issue with Marshall from my perspective is that, historically, junior production is the best predictor of future success for key forwards - much more than for other positions. More often than not, if you don't perform in the under 18s as a key forward, you never perform at AFL level. Marshall's production seems to have been pretty poor and well below expectations.

Now, it is of course not foolproof, and Marshall could be an exception. That's for the recruiters to decide. That said, though, it's easy to get swayed by athleticism and potential - there's a bit more to it than that though, for key forwards especially. Marshall fails arguably the most important test of all for his position.

This is on the money I reckon unless we are looking at him as a defender.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS! It baffles me how 'draft experts' always sing the praises of agile big men who often don't kick goals or take marks. I got roasted on the '2016 Draft Rumours' thread because I said that I can't see Harry McKay ever making it at AFL level, and Marshall seems to me like a McKay clone.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS! It baffles me how 'draft experts' always sing the praises of agile big men who often don't kick goals or take marks. I got roasted on the '2016 Draft Rumours' thread because I said that I can't see Harry McKay ever making it at AFL level, and Marshall seems to me like a McKay clone.
Weren't we interesting in his brother but not Harry (if Harry was the highly rated one)?

I have to admit I'm cool on English because in 4 years time when he's close to ready the game may have changed again. I'd prefer to find rucks later in the draft - after Grundy there haven't been first round draft pick rucks I've warmed to, and in Grundy's draft our picks were too high or late anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't we interesting in his brother but not Harry (if Harry was the highly rated one)?

I have to admit I'm cool on English because in 4 years time when he's close to ready the game may have changed again. I'd prefer to find rucks later in the draft - after Grundy there haven't been first round draft pick rucks I've warmed to, and in Grundy's draft our picks were too high or late anyway.
Yes, we were big on Ben McKay and I, in particular, was holding out for us taking him at our second rounder. Thing is, Ben McKay was a unit, rather than his brother who was an agile stick. Harry McKay had far more natural talent, but Ben showed real signs as a forward and defender, and far more consistency than Harry.

Yes, we were big on Ben McKay and I, in particular, was holding out for us taking him at our second rounder. Thing is, Ben McKay was a unit, rather than his brother who was an agile stick. Harry McKay had far more natural talent, but Ben showed real signs as a forward and defender, and far more consistency than Harry.
The word I remember hearing was "aggressive" - the one thing Zaine has over his brother too, attack on the opponent and ball.
I think aggression is one of the hardest things to teach a footballer and it covers a multitude of sins.

Dylan Addison - I always liked him, was naturally aggressive, very limited in other parts of his game but carved out a serviceable career.
Jarrad Grant - 10 times more talented, carved out a broadly similar career as he was as aggressive as a ladybug on pills.

I remember reading our drafting strategy, so instead of focusing on weaknesses, Dal looks at what a player is really good at. Focus on strengths rather than weaknesses. Any player that could be there at 18 and that does the same thing over and over again really well? like tackling or handballing etc?

Sounds like Simpkin is going to go top ten :(

Silly comment regarding your prediction of McKay. You're tearing up your lotto ticket before the balls have even been drawn.

I remember reading our drafting strategy, so instead of focusing on weaknesses, Dal looks at what a player is really good at. Focus on strengths rather than weaknesses. Any player that could be there at 18 and that does the same thing over and over again really well? like tackling or handballing etc?

If that is the case then someone like Alex Witherden? May move up the priority list. Beautiful kick and set up from HBF - at 187 he is a bit of a Bob Murphy type (even though as posted before CapnBob was a great forward who moved back so Hayward is more that pathway).

Also a few here have mentioned players like Ridley who seem to have some strings. And someone like Kerr who has great hands, excellent in the air and a frame that may add but some have dropped him down because of his weaknesses - speed, agility, determination - so maybe he comes up for us?

If that is the case then someone like Alex Witherden? May move up the priority list. Beautiful kick and set up from HBF - at 187 he is a bit of a Bob Murphy type (even though as posted before CapnBob was a great forward who moved back so Hayward is more that pathway).

Also a few here have mentioned players like Ridley who seem to have some strings. And someone like Kerr who has great hands, excellent in the air and a frame that may add but some have dropped him down because of his weaknesses - speed, agility, determination - so maybe he comes up for us?[/QU

Also a few here have mentioned players like Ridley who seem to have some strings. And someone like Kerr who has great hands, excellent in the air and a frame that may add but some have dropped him down because of his weaknesses - speed, agility, determination - so maybe he comes up for us?

that is what i was talking about

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/wester...egy-a-recipe-for-success-20161009-gry8hm.html

I've seen us linked to Todd Marshall, Will Hayward, Luke Ryan and Cedric Cox.

From Pann's little bit of info he says we've met with Tim English and Tristan Tweedie.
Can't warm to the thought of English.
Just looks like a bloke that could takes years to have an impact , and I'm running out of years !
I very much doubt we will be taking English,maybe we met with him for due diligence purposes but I'd be surprised. We don't seem to place an overly high emphasis on ruckman and ruckman take time so I'd say we will develop one on the rookie list or trade in a developed ruckman next year,can't see us using our first pick on a position our coach doesn't place great value in,it makes no sense at all.

It's funny, history suggests that you have a pretty good strike rate of picking up rucks in the rookie draft but key forwards are generally only successful when they've been first round picks.
Even English who is a top 10 prospect as a ruck was rookie eligible last year.
Most pundits seem to think that Marshall is a first round prospect and that we are in a position to be able to take the time to develop him. If the club chooses him I'd be pretty happy but I think it will all come down to whether or not the club think he has the temprement to get the best out of himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Back