Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Horrie Clover was another but yeah, midfield and defence has tended to be the cornerstone of our premiership teams.
1970 and 72 grand final wins with Walls, Jesaulenko, Crosswell and Jackson being a star forward line probably the exceptions.

Even then, That was four key players working together one playing a resting ruck in the pocket (Big Nick) and the other was a classy player who could go everywhere (Crosswell).

I asked a physio who works for a particular foot club that specific question.....his answer, no one has ever successfully played again after the patella knee injury that O'meara had.

Thanks mate. Hearing more stuff likes this gives a good context of how likely it is we even bother with an offer of note.

Would fwds such as Jack darling Cory Gault Josh Bruce Sam Reid b matera
Def such as the eagles two outer guys Brown and emac
Mids such as Ellis yoleman Devon Smith and a.miles
And is Matt lobbe worth a ruck spot or nakervis

Based on a variety of things, I'm thinking more and more that we should completely trade out of this year's draft.

Trade out all players with any sort of collateral (eg. Everitt, Casboult, Kreuzer, Graham, Tuohy) who we don't see as part of the future, get draft picks or players in return. If we get picks, trade them for more players.

Pick off some low hanging fruit at the other clubs, Horlin-Smith as an example. Do some package deals like we did with GWS and have an interest in doing again this year, bring in specific player types according to what SOS & Bolton consider acceptable. GWS, GC & Dogs may have some excess players we could use.

Throw #5 at the Dogs for Stringer and throw $600K per annum at him ..... :eek: If he is on the outer, not sure that his situation is that bad but test the water, great pick-up for the future.

If #5 is knocked back, take that one single pick to the draft and use it on whoever is considered to be the best player in it at that time.

Let's turn this off-season on its head !!!
I think you are allowing yourself to be far too negative about this draft. if I recall correctly, you live in Sydney and therefore probably don't get around to a lot of quality under 18 games. I bet you there will be real quality picked up in this draft, it seems every year they talk down the current draft and talk up the next draft (people last year were saying how poor the quality was and how good this years draft was going to be). I suspect a lot of your negativity revolves around the fact we seem to be a good chance to pick up someone not in your desired height range (Ainsworth, Mcgrath, SPS) and an overall lack of quality KPP in the draft. The fact is we desperately need some good mids and runners as well, if we do that this year we can have another look at a KPP next year if need be.

We were reportedly keen on Lennon when he was out of contract last year so there's every chance we'll be into him again now that he wants out of Richmond.

Seems very strange though that he was happy to re-sign last year but wants out now after an injury-interrupted season.

Probably worth a 2nd round pick given he's contracted for another year. Not sure I'd be willing to pay that, though.

Surely worth less than everitt, who for all his faults is a damaging forward when there is something resembling decent delivery.

Lennon literally has no runs on the board.

Everitt cops a lot of flack (some warranted) but be did play a lot of footy in a very good swans outfit.

Our terrible delivery and innate abilty to turn an uncontested disposal into a turnover makes him (and our other half forwards) look worse than they are.

Would rather keep the third than Everitt, personally. Package it up with another player or pick and try and grab another early second.
That would be the way I would want it... but, we have to play it by ear and see where things end up :)

Think he may have been promised a senior spot if he stayed, but glandular fever early on pushed him back, then by the time he recovered from that Dimma was in damage control and kept going back to the well with his "experienced" players trying to get pressure-relieving wins.

Everitt and 6 to GC.
Lennon to Carlton.
Prestia and one of GC's seconds to Richmond.
We give up 6 and everitt for lennon?? Did you miss someone to us?? JOM?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I asked a physio who works for a particular foot club that specific question.....his answer, no one has ever successfully played again after the patella knee injury that O'meara had.

Is that physio by any chance in Port Melbourne.

Seen far better contracted players get traded to the club of their choice. I don't think Richmond will spoil Prestia deal on the account of playing hardball over Lennon. ;)

Generally when theyre in the final year of their contract.
I don't know the details but hopefully Lennon is part of it.

Do you think Lennon's year would have decreased his trade value from last year?

JOM value depends on medical prognosis. If good he is worth a first round pick, probably our #5 and Everitt. If he is 'iffy' then we should not trade. But GCS said they want players not picks.

It probably has to some degree.
JOM's value is hard to work out. Some heavy duty medicals and second opinions no doubt.

Any news on your clubs interest in Vickery? Is it genuine or more a media story?

It probably has to some degree.
JOM's value is hard to work out. Some heavy duty medicals and second opinions no doubt.

Any news on your clubs interest in Vickery? Is it genuine or more a media story?

Look, someone may shell out overs for Lennon but he has done little to make someone look really hard.
Lennon will not return anywhere near the pick he was taken at. Somewhere in the 25-30 range will see him out.

Vickery won't be with us now that we've signed Casboult. Others will find him more useful.

Hawthorn won't pay a ransom and * will simply walk O'Meara to the PSD
Surely Hawthorn will get it done. They'll have a late 1st rounder, another pick around 20 for Brad Hill, and have experienced depth like Whitecross (from Qld) and others they could use as steak knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back