Preview 2016 Preliminary Final - Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans, Friday September 23, MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time Sydney played Geelong in round 16 and won by 38 points (and at Geelong's home ground), the cats had a bye in round 15 so they came into the game fresh in round 16 whereas Sydney had that tough game against the Doggies on Saturday and it was only a 6 day break till we played the cats on Friday night. Basically got the same thing happening this weekend so there's some confidence to be taken from that.

All I've read:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-09-19/swans-hopeful-on-injured-trio

NAB AFL Rising Star winner Callum Mills ran laps at the SCG on Monday after straining his hamstring against the Giants, and although he's little to no chance of facing Geelong, he could be in contention to play in the Grand Final should the Swans manage to get through.
I'm going off the Mills interview on the weekend during the final where he said he'd be pushing for selection.

I can't imagine there's any chance of McVeigh playing. Torn calf/strained calf it's only a matter of degrees and either way is a minimum 3 weeks.

Zak Jones has to play. He proved he was right with a 35 possession NEAFL Grand Final. Mills won't be right yet.

OUT: McVeigh (and perhaps Nankervis and Rohan)
IN: Jones (and perhaps Tippet and Towers)

Also, I've had a look at the squad and their isn't a massive difference between the squad we used against Geelong and the squad used against the crows. We have a replacement for most of the players and some of the guys that did play (against Geelong) had very little influence on the game.
Against Geelong we had Ted Richards who only managed 9 touches and goal. (Xavier has already come in and filled the spot up forward for Teddy going out)
Jones played and got 1 goal and 16 disposals and he could be coming back in. Mills got 1 goal, 23 disposals and 6 marks. So he's a hard one to replace but there's an outside chance he'll play. We have Marsh out there doing his best to try fill that. Rohan only had 10 touches and didn't have too much influence. Rose only had 6 touches and a behind. Sinclair had 5 disposals. Naismith only had 4 disposals.
Tippet could return so that fixes up the ruck even though other than hitouts, our ruckmen didn't get many touches against the cats.

McVeigh and Rohan could miss out but towers and Jones can come back in for those. I think that's a pretty strong potential squad! We'll just have to see what happens with Rohan, Mcveigh, Mills and Tippet.

I can't imagine there's any chance of McVeigh playing. Torn calf/strained calf it's only a matter of degrees and either way is a minimum 3 weeks.

Zak Jones has to play. He proved he was right with a 35 possession NEAFL Grand Final. Mills won't be right yet.

OUT: McVeigh (and perhaps Nankervis and Rohan)
IN: Jones (and perhaps Tippet and Towers)

He only had 20 touches in the neafl granny...Newman had 35!

Make the thread Swans supporters only if you don't want opposition fans discussing the game.

Settle down Champ...You Geelong boys should be able to handle a bit of rough n tumble. I know you boys like a bit of Rough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who kinda wants Tippett to miss? The N&N show has been rolling very nicely.
You don't understand. We have to win a flag with BOTH Buddy and Tippo or we will be considered abject failures by Bigfooty. It's all about street cred.

In all seriousness Nankervis is unlucky to miss if Tippett comes back. His hardness at the ball was fantastic on the weekend.

Well, not sure how it was for those this morning, but getting public tickets at 2pm was pretty painless. Q11, Row D. Happy enough with that.

Same section as me, I'm hoping they are decent enough seats. Should have just done it first thing this morning but I had a critical work meeting that I couldn't avoid.

Even without Tippett we have been good, Tippett isn't as big a loss as it would have been 12 months ago. We have some depth and can cover most bar Lance. Tippett needs to do more going forward, he has a bit of a rubber chest.

I hope Jones comes in, but it might be a bit soon. If he still has the effects of concussion the risk factors for long term brain damage is increased out the wazoo, and I'd hate that. If he's fit and its safe I'd love it but he was utterly cleaned up and I'd be nervous. Also depends on mental stuff, more than a few brave players have had the yips going into contests for a few weeks after something like that, and a prelim would be a bad place to find out if Jones is one of them.
Could be Tippet coming into to play as a pure forward with Nankervis to remain, his intensity and aggression is really important imo, last game was a better game from him than Sinclair has played this year I thought. It would be harsh to drop him for Tippet I reckon.

I'd assume Mcveigh and Rohan are out, (just conservative is all). I desperately hope Rohan can make the grandy if we make it. Mcviegh I feel we can cover.

Am I the only one who kinda wants Tippett to miss? The N&N show has been rolling very nicely.

Tippett has played a couple of ripping prelims in the past, one for us in 2014 and one for the Crows in 2012. If he brings that form then let him play. But if it's just the same old form he's shown in the back half of this year (and I suspect it is) then I'm with you 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back