List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we'll just have to make do with Billings, McCartin, Bruce, Goddard, Carlisle, Gresham, Lonie, Dunstan, Acres, Freeman, Longer, Ross, Sinclair, Newnes, MacKenzie, Webster, Membrey, White, Rice, Templeton, O'Kearney, Pierce and co. until we get in some actual 24yo and under talent, to compliment the older guys for the time being and then the likes of Steven, Armitage, Roberton and Savage.
The problem is half of the players you just named haven't actually shown much, it was more of a name dump tbh, I still think the majority will be solid players for our club but it will take a few more off seasons to reach the amount of talent that Melbourne, gws and Bulldogs have

The problem is half of the players you just named haven't actually shown much, it was more of a name dump tbh, I still think the majority will be solid players for our club but it will take a few more off seasons to reach the amount of talent that Melbourne, gws and Bulldogs have
Yeah I'm sure the fact that guys like McCartin, Goddard, Freeman and Gresham haven't shown much yet means we're way behind a team like Melbourne from a young talent perspective. It wouldn't help at all that Hogan had had 3 preseasons under his belt going into last year, compared to just 1 for McCartin, for instance, or that they've already used their first rounder for this year's draft, while we still have ours up our sleeve.

I'm sure we all remember about 10-12 years ago when we were all convinced that we had "better yoof" than Geelong, after we'd had oodles of top 5 picks, while they got most of their youth with later picks and how did that work out for us and Geelong?

It's waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early to call, IMO, especially since, for various reasons, none of Carlisle, McCartin, Goddard, Longer, Freeman, MacKenzie or Sinclair are in the team at the moment, which makes them a bit "out of sight, out of mind".

I guess we'll just have to make do with Billings, McCartin, Bruce, Goddard, Carlisle, Gresham, Lonie, Dunstan, Acres, Freeman, Longer, Ross, Sinclair, Newnes, MacKenzie, Webster, Membrey, White, Rice, Templeton, O'Kearney, Pierce and co. until we get in some actual 24yo and under talent- to compliment the older guys for the time being and then the likes of Steven, Armitage, Roberton and Savage.

Gee that's some green grass over there!

too many soldiers/GOP in there not enough pointy end talent. players that make you stop and go WOW

too many soldiers/GOP in there not enough pointy end talent. players that make you stop and go WOW
Far to early to tell, IMO.

Kosi made us all stop and go WOW, when he was one of very few ever to win the Rising Star award while playing key position at 18yo and Xavier Clarke made us go WOW when he would jump on heads and take a mark-of-the-week contender every few weeks when he was just 19/20yo. Luke Ball made us go WOW when he came 2nd in the B&F at 20yo in a prelim team and then when he won it and made the AA team at just 21yo the following year. All were top 5 picks.

It took a long time on the other hand for us to go WOW at the likes of Montagna, Goddard, Fisher, Dempster, Steven, Armitage and Bruce, so I reckon we need to give it plenty more time to see exactly where we're at, especially with so many of those I mentioned having played so little footy.

A ridiculous amount of throwing the baby out with the bathwater going on here IMO.

As an employer, you examine the qualities of prospective employees closely and develop a mental picture of how good they are and how well they may fit in with your existing staff. What I have noted is that we all seem to overestimate outsiders (especially from interstate). For some reason far away talent always seems more appealing than close up talent. I think the same applies to footy lists.

Pretty happy with the direction we're going & the talent we've built over the past 3-4 years. We've prioritised talls trading for Bruce, Hickey, Roberton (DFA), Longer & Carlisle & drafting Goddard & McCartin. With the exception of Carlisle last year we commenced focusing on mids drafting Gresham & trading for Freeman.

What gets me excited is those kids with a 1995 birth year.
Billings
Dunstan
Acres
Freeman
Sinclair
Templeton

That could be our future core midfield there.

I guess we'll just have to make do with Billings, McCartin, Bruce, Goddard, Carlisle, Gresham, Lonie, Dunstan, Acres, Freeman, Longer, Ross, Sinclair, Newnes, MacKenzie, Webster, Membrey, White, Rice, Templeton, O'Kearney, Pierce and co. until we get in some actual 24yo and under talent- to compliment the older guys for the time being and then the likes of Steven, Armitage, Roberton and Savage.

Gee that's some green grass over there!
Freeman, Dunstan, Ross, Longer, Acres, Webster, MacKenzie, Membrey, Templeton I would trade in a heartbeat. Zero of them would get a game at Hawthorn. Every time I see Touk Miller play I want to vomit.

Freeman, Dunstan, Ross, Longer, Acres, Webster, MacKenzie, Membrey, Templeton I would trade in a heartbeat. Zero of them would get a game at Hawthorn. Every time I see Touk Miller play I want to vomit.

Personally, I reckon a fit Freeman and Webster would both get a game at Hawthorn. Also, Touk Miller looks like he'll be a GOP but he's hardly shown more than Ross, Dunstan, Longer or Webster.

Pretty happy with the direction we're going & the talent we've built over the past 3-4 years. We've prioritised talls trading for Bruce, Hickey, Roberton (DFA), Longer & Carlisle & drafting Goddard & McCartin. With the exception of Carlisle last year we commenced focusing on mids drafting Gresham & trading for Freeman.

What gets me excited is those kids with a 1995 birth year.
Billings
Dunstan
Acres
Freeman
Sinclair
Templeton

That could be our future core midfield there.

A good midfield sure but what I think is missing is the a grade material (Billings aside). At least two. I think Gresham will be another but we need to nail our 1st round pick later this year as well as grab one more through the draft/trading/free agency.

Just echoing what others have said - a very even group. They'll turn into a good team but we need more silk. Someone like Whitfield would be nice or Shiel at the end of 2017....

Personally, I reckon a fit Freeman and Webster would both get a game at Hawthorn. Also, Touk Miller looks like he'll be a GOP but he's hardly shown more than Ross, Dunstan, Longer or Webster.
Played 22 games in his first season, finished 4th in B and F, says it all IMO.
Freeman may never play a game for us, let's be serious.

Finished 4th in a team strugggggling. He was good though, but so was Dunstan's first season. Haha, maybe I'm in the minority here but if the club reckon he's going to be fine to recover from his Hammy issues then I believe them. This is quite the pessimistic mood even for you Brian.

A good midfield sure but what I think is missing is the a grade material (Billings aside). At least two. I think Gresham will be another but we need to nail our 1st round pick later this year as well as grab one more through the draft/trading/free agency.

Just echoing what others have said - a very even group. They'll turn into a good team but we need more silk. Someone like Whitfield would be nice or Shiel at the end of 2017....

What if some of that A grade talent was already on our list? Just because Billings is the only younger player showing A grade talent doesn't mean <insert name> doesn't come out of nowhere.

Whilst I understand we need to continually focus on bringing in A grade mids im bullish about a few coming through. Just got to keep pumping games into the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of the pre season freak outs going on here. Reality is we don't know who on our list will and will not become elite. Melbourne look good but they are still just names at this stage.

Agree. We haven't even played a real game lol.

What if some of that A grade talent was already on our list? Just because Billings is the only younger player showing A grade talent doesn't mean <insert name> doesn't come out of nowhere.

Whilst I understand we need to continually focus on bringing in A grade mids im bullish about a few coming through. Just got to keep pumping games into the kids.

Yes agreed....Leigh Montagna Jack Steven please stand up.........there will be some a grade there BUT there will also be those on that list who just won't make it...

All we need is blue chips mids! If we traded out our future 1st rounder 2017 for a 2016 first rounder that would give us two top 12 picks (most likely)

Grab ourselves two elite mids and we would be set.

Yes agreed....Leigh Montagna Jack Steven please stand up.........there will be some a grade there BUT there will also be those on that list who just won't make it...

Realistically playing finals in 2018 is not out of the question. By then we may have grabbed another 2 top 10 mids or a Whitfiekd type plus a free agent or two to compliment those already in our midfield rotation. Not all doom & gloom, let's wait until we see how the kids go in the first few games before writing them off .

Realistically playing finals in 2018 is not out of the question. By then we may have grabbed another 2 top 10 mids or a Whitfiekd type plus a free agent or two to compliment those already in our midfield rotation. Not all doom & gloom, let's wait until we see how the kids go in the first few games before writing them off .

You're preaching to the converted....I'm expecting finals in 2018.

I know you're not talking to me in terms of writing kids off as I haven't and certainly no doom and gloom from old Smoky!! We're going about it the right way and we still have some way to go. I think most will make it and will be good players but we need to add the silk. Billings and Gresham are a good start and I think Lonie is something special too....

Our top 10 draft pick will be another addition and we'll see how we go in terms of trading and free agency. That's the exciting part. All it takes is one or two additions (Hurley and Whitfield for example) and the list looks awesome. The top 10 for the 2016 draft are meant to be pretty good so wouldn't be averse to trading our 2017 1st for another 2016 1st as someone else suggested just above...

You're preaching to the converted....I'm expecting finals in 2018.

I know you're not talking to me in terms of writing kids off as I haven't and certainly no doom and gloom from old Smoky!! We're going about it the right way and we still have some way to go. I think most will make it and will be good players but we need to add the silk. Billings and Gresham are a good start and I think Lonie is something special too....

Our top 10 draft pick will be another addition and we'll see how we go in terms of trading and free agency. That's the exciting part. All it takes is one or two additions (Hurley and Whitfield for example) and the list looks awesome. The top 10 for the 2016 draft are meant to be pretty good so wouldn't be averse to trading our 2017 1st for another 2016 1st as someone else suggested just above...

Just talking generally & not directed at you with every comment. Certainly not the doom & gloom part.

For mine Gresham is going to be the surprise packet of the draft. Speed...power....endurance....skillful. He reads well. Luke Shuey clone.

Not hard to play 22 games when they were decimated with injury last year, particularly in the midfield. Many of Gold Coast's regular vote getters also missing for large chunks of the season, therefore making his b and f finish far less impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back