Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people feel about resting Joel for this one?
Win against Richmond and Joel gets two extra weeks for recovery (and reduced risk of long term damage).
Lose, Joel gets the extra week for recovery anyway for the last throw of the dice.

I'd just hate to rush him back to suffer a long term injury (a la Matty Egan).

Yep. Rest him I say.

Win against Richmond and Joel gets two extra weeks for recovery (and reduced risk of long term damage).
Lose, Joel gets the extra week for recovery anyway for the last throw of the dice.

One possible benefit from resting Joel is that the midfield will know that someone is going to be dropped for the next final, so the second tier are all playing so it won't be them. I would prefer Joel.....but we just need a few players to keep stepping up.

Do you think the mc will dissect the r22 game or look at Richmond's biggest or toughest wins this yr too plan the victory

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Scotty had the flu for the Richmond game + I read that Boris geed the Boyz up for that game. Would love to know his strategy + if it will be used again on
Friday.

Ugh. No.
Please Geelong don't play that soft plodder.
We rarely agree on things recently Doc. I think he'd be an asset v Tigers , but the forecast of cold, wet, going down to 4C is enough to select a team of mids.
At least we have 3-4 nights of arctic weather to try acclimatising Mon to Thu.
They should train at 8pm every night this week, even if only for an hour.

One possible benefit from resting Joel is that the midfield will know that someone is going to be dropped for the next final, so the second tier are all playing so it won't be them. I would prefer Joel.....but we just need a few players to keep stepping up.
But will it give the Tigers that extra lift in confidence that gets them really fired up? Their start is why we need a fit Joel- he is our best in those setting- the- scene situations.

Is Stanley even fit?

Given the opposition (not very tall) and expected weather, I'd have neither Stanley or Buzza this week but if one of them is going to be selected it has to be Stanley imo. Potential doesn't cut it in finals, you have to go on output and Stanley's worst is better than Buzza's worst and his best is far better - match winningly good.

Ugh. No.
Please Geelong don't play that soft plodder.
I can't believe people keep suggesting we play this weak turd. He goes to water in pressure matches and has no desire at all.

I don't know what it is about buzza but he makes our forward line function much better. I think he frees up tommy to move up the ground, forces a defender to stay on him, offers a tall target and competes. Even if he doesn't get much of it he still helps us.

How many times last year did we see tommy take a mark in the middle of the ground, look up and see no one to kick to? Leaving buzza back in the fwd 50 frees tommy up to go up the ground to take marks. And doesn't he make us a better side when he is free to do this as he is probably close to the best lead up target in the game. And one of our best kicks moving it forward.

Thats simple. If Selwood is 100% fit, he is in. If there is any doubt about his ankle before the game out he comes. Having the Captain great would be great, but we can win this one without him more easily than the later stuff, where we are going to need him 100% and firing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We rarely agree on things recently Doc. I think he'd be an asset v Tigers , but the forecast of cold, wet, going down to 4C is enough to select a team of mids.
At least we have 3-4 nights of arctic weather to try acclimatising Mon to Thu.
They should train at 8pm every night this week, even if only for an hour.
We don't, like I think you're mad thinking the Tigers will win. Baffling. they've won as many finals since 1982 and Fitzroy who've been defunct for 21 bloody years.

On Stanley. Delist. GFL club. 27 with no consistency and a lack of ticker. Softest player on our list.
Not the man I want in a final.

We don't, like I think you're mad thinking the Tigers will win. Baffling. they've won as many finals since 1982 and Fitzroy who've been defunct for 21 bloody years.

On Stanley. Delist. GFL club. 27 with no consistency and a lack of ticker. Softest player on our list.
I don't think they'll win, I fear it.
Takes all sorts in this "church" of ours.

Is Stanley even fit?

Given the opposition (not very tall) and expected weather, I'd have neither Stanley or Buzza this week but if one of them is going to be selected it has to be Stanley imo. Potential doesn't cut it in finals, you have to go on output and Stanley's worst is better than Buzza's worst and his best is far better - match winningly good.

Sorry but completely disagree. Stanley is completely soft and has 1 good game a year. Buzza at least creates a contest and that's what finals are. Contest after contest. Is Stanley comes in for buzza I'd be absolutely ropable. I hope I never see him in the hoops again.

Spot on

Win this game and we are spot A1 to win the flag lose and we are done (sydney the next week in a knockout game).

If joel is close to 100% fit and isn't a big risk of reinjury (pain is not the issue he can play through that it's just re-injury risk) then he must play.

Sorry but completely disagree. Stanley is completely soft and has 1 good game a year. Buzza at least creates a contest and that's what finals are. Contest after contest. Is Stanley comes in for buzza I'd be absolutely ropable. I hope I never see him in the hoops again.

Fair enough - each to their own and all that. I think Buzza is very overrated on this board due to his ability to 'crash packs', which I don't think he does any more than Stanley anyway. I think Stanley is at least as good as Buzza in the forward line (speaking purely in terms of 2017 - I've seen plenty to like in Buzza going forward. Enough to suggest that he will become a better forward eventually) and Stanley offers far more in the ruck and around the ground. I do really like Buzza's tackling and pressure though - he's clearly better than Stanley in that regard.

Again, each to their own, but some of the criticism of Stanley lately is way over the top.

Fair enough - each to their own and all that. I think Buzza is very overrated on this board due to his ability to 'crash packs', which I don't think he does any more than Stanley anyway. I think Stanley is at least as good as Buzza in the forward line (speaking purely in terms of 2017 - I've seen plenty to like in Buzza going forward. Enough to suggest that he will become a better forward eventually) and Stanley offers far more in the ruck and around the ground. I do really like Buzza's tackling and pressure though - he's clearly better than Stanley in that regard.

Again, each to their own, but some of the criticism of Stanley lately is way over the top.
Stanley hasn't played for weeks anyway. If we are going to bring joel back then we don't need to bring back another guy who hasn't played in a month, and a pea hearted one at that.

I don't think they'll win, I fear it.
Takes all sorts in this "church" of ours.

Everyone fears losing mate. Hell im terrified too. I fear that we won't show up. That it will be the same as the prelim last year. I fear that Richmond will be pumped from signing Martin and having the crowed 65-35 in their favour, will turn it on. I fear it all. But then i think we've been here so many times before. Experience sometimes counts in finals. I don't know if we will win but what I do know is this is the best chance we've had at a flag for years, maybe since 2011. Try to replace your fear with excitement. Ride the journey. Hell we just might win mate.
We might just win.

Stanley hasn't played for weeks anyway. If we are going to bring joel back then we don't need to bring back another guy who hasn't played in a month, and a pea hearted one at that.

True. Though it was only two matches that he missed so I don't think that should be a significant factor.

Going to be interesting to see the team sheet this week anyway - good to have too many talls to choose from heading into finals for once!

Win this game and we are spot A1 to win the flag lose and we are done (sydney the next week in a knockout game).

If joel is close to 100% fit and isn't a big risk of reinjury (pain is not the issue he can play through that it's just re-injury risk) then he must play.

I think we can beat Sydney, imo we are not the same team that they beat 6 weeks ago, they are scary, but as Leigh Matthews said "if it bleeds you can kill it" and they showed weaknesses away to Adelaide.

Obviously we want to win, but I do believe that we would be a very decent chance to shock the Swans who have an air of overconfidence to them right now.

I used to think that too. But mate he's played nearly 100 games and honestly has played maybe 5 great games out of 98. He Threatens to go beserk but never does. His goal kicking is nothing short of embarrassing. I'm sick of him to be honest. He's had enough chances. Let someone else have a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back