Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can beat Sydney, imo we are not the same team that they beat 6 weeks ago, they are scary, but as Leigh Matthews said "if it bleeds you can kill it" and they showed weaknesses away to Adelaide.

Obviously we want to win, but I do believe that we would be a very decent chance to shock the Swans who have an air of overconfidence to them right now.

I am not as confident on beating sydney but i believe if we beat rich and then get adel/gws etc after we will win the flag.

I used to think that too. But mate he's played nearly 100 games and honestly has played maybe 5 great games out of 98. He Threatens to go beserk but never does. His goal kicking is nothing short of embarrassing. I'm sick of him to be honest. He's had enough chances. Let someone else have a go.

As much as I'd like to, I can't really disagree with any of that. He's frustrating as shit, given we've seen what he can be capable of when it all clicks.

Despite his inconsistency though, I still think that right here and now he offers more to the team than Buzza and going into finals, that's all that matters.

Thats simple. If Selwood is 100% fit, he is in. If there is any doubt about his ankle before the game out he comes. Having the Captain great would be great, but we can win this one without him more easily than the later stuff, where we are going to need him 100% and firing
Agree 100%, would prefer Selwood fit for the next Finals round. We've won games without him + as someone else said, players need to perform, because one of them is going out when Joel returns.

Everyone fears losing mate. Hell im terrified too. I fear that we won't show up. That it will be the same as the prelim last year. I fear that Richmond will be pumped from signing Martin and having the crowed 65-35 in their favour, will turn it on. I fear it all. But then i think we've been here so many times before. Experience sometimes counts in finals. I don't know if we will win but what I do know is this is the best chance we've had at a flag for years, maybe since 2011. Try to replace your fear with excitement. Ride the journey. Hell we just might win mate.
We might just win.
It's Dangerfield's 200th game, will that count for something?

Agree 100%, would prefer Selwood fit for the next Finals round. We've won games without him + as someone else said, players need to perform, because one of them is going out when Joel returns.
S.Selwood, Menegola, Duncan and Guthrie have taken up the slack in his absence. There is no necessity for him to play unless absolutely 100% no risk fit. Would rather he come back for a prelim and be unleashed.

We rarely agree on things recently Doc. I think he'd be an asset v Tigers , but the forecast of cold, wet, going down to 4C is enough to select a team of mids.
At least we have 3-4 nights of arctic weather to try acclimatising Mon to Thu.
They should train at 8pm every night this week, even if only for an hour.
Think you mean he'd be an asset for the Tigers

Robinson finally gets it right... even a stopped watch is right twice a day...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/e5d21eb0a1db2653cce9471d53298fb6

Chris Scott is a premiership coach but pressure is building as finals losses mount, Mark Robinson writes

THE longer Chris Scott coaches more the pressure grows to win a premiership.

Since his first final series in 2011 when the Cats won three finals and the flag, Scott’s finals record stands at an unproductive two wins and six losses and one of those wins came when Hawthorn’s Isaac Smith missed a shot at goal after the siren.

He gets them there, no doubt, but the failures have mounted.

He would argue the past is irrelevant — and it is for the players as well — and, anyway, in almost every season he has coached the team has finished in a position to challenge.

That can’t be ignored. It’s a ruthless competition. Eighteen teams fight for eight spots. There’s the draft, the trading period, a compromised schedule, injuries, suspensions, form and interstate travel, so a finals berth is certainly well won.

Indeed, Scott has coached 164 games, for 117 wins, two draws and 45 losses. His winning percentage is 72 per cent, which is the best winning percentage in the history of the game for anyone who has coached 164 games or more.

Ticks everywhere.

Except in September.

Clearly, Scott is a good coach, probably a very good coach. But greatness comes to those who win premierships. He has one, in 2011, the season after Mark Thompson departed.

One argument says Scott took over a superstar team and a premiership was there for the taking. That’s unfair. In the final game of 2010, and Thompson’s final game, Geelong lost to Collingwood by 41 points in the preliminary final and days later the game’s best player packed his bags and relocated to the Gold Coast.

Scott gathered a team many believed had run its race and, 12 months later, beat Collingwood by 38 points in the Grand Final.

Sound thinking would say he had a terrific team, but Scott had to bring it all together.

It’s a long time ago, 2011.

Their most recent finals capitulation was in the first half of last year’s preliminary final against Sydney.

Again, Scott would say that is irrelevant for this group.

It’s not for Cats fans.

They are frustrated that home-and-away success does not translate to September success. So would the club. So would Scott.

A superlative home-and-away record earns Geelong respect, but in 20 years who will care if Geelong averaged 17 wins a season for six seasons way back when? It’s about premierships, and as every season comes and goes without one, the pressure mounts.

Scott is coaching the best of his career.

Last month he was voted by his peers, with Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley, as the hardest coach to coach against.

It was a wonderful acknowledgment, but again, how does it stack up if the 2017 campaign is a colossal failure.

He has been bold this year, willing to change game plans and change roles for his players.

Perhaps in response to the loss to Sydney last year, the Cats changed the way they moved the ball. It was free-flowing, a lot more transition footy, and at 5-0, the Cats were cocka-hoop. Then came three losses, to Collingwood, Gold Coast and Essendon, and Scott changed again.

So much so, from Rounds 9-23, the Cats became the best defensive team in the competition in terms of scores against.

He’s used Harry Taylor forward and back, he dispensed with Rhys Stanley, shown faith in Wylie Buzza, played Jake Kolodjashnij on a wing, stuck fat with Zac Smith, introduced Parsons and played Menegola more forward and there’s probably several more adjustments we don’t know of.

Perhaps most importantly, he plonked Scott Selwood in the middle and said get to work and Selwood hasn’t let him down in terms of supplying a contest and limiting the opposition’s best player.

In fact, Selwood on either Dustin Martin or Trent Cotchin on Friday night and the success there of could decide the contest.

The point is Scott has been aggressive as coach, with game plans and positional and personnel changes and it has given them yet another top-two finish and the double chance, which is the eighth time in the past 11 seasons the Cats have achieved such an outstanding home-and-away return.

Again, massive tick.

But if last year’s loss to Sydney is irrelevant, then so now is this year’s home-and-away season.

AFL great Leigh Matthews, who coached Scott, says there’s two parts to a football season. It’s about qualifying for finals, firstly, before a new a new-ball game begins.

The Cats have conquered one and need to conquer the second.

If they don’t, they’ll continue to be a good side but not a great one.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/e5d21eb0a1db2653cce9471d53298fb6

Robinson finally gets it right... even a stopped watch is right twice a day...

Chris Scott is a premiership coach but pressure is building as finals losses mount, Mark Robinson writes

THE longer Chris Scott coaches more the pressure grows to win a premiership.

Since his first final series in 2011 when the Cats won three finals and the flag, Scott’s finals record stands at an unproductive two wins and six losses and one of those wins came when Hawthorn’s Isaac Smith missed a shot at goal after the siren.

He gets them there, no doubt, but the failures have mounted.

He would argue the past is irrelevant — and it is for the players as well — and, anyway, in almost every season he has coached the team has finished in a position to challenge.

That can’t be ignored. It’s a ruthless competition. Eighteen teams fight for eight spots. There’s the draft, the trading period, a compromised schedule, injuries, suspensions, form and interstate travel, so a finals berth is certainly well won.

Indeed, Scott has coached 164 games, for 117 wins, two draws and 45 losses. His winning percentage is 72 per cent, which is the best winning percentage in the history of the game for anyone who has coached 164 games or more.

Ticks everywhere.

Except in September.

Clearly, Scott is a good coach, probably a very good coach. But greatness comes to those who win premierships. He has one, in 2011, the season after Mark Thompson departed.

One argument says Scott took over a superstar team and a premiership was there for the taking. That’s unfair. In the final game of 2010, and Thompson’s final game, Geelong lost to Collingwood by 41 points in the preliminary final and days later the game’s best player packed his bags and relocated to the Gold Coast.

Scott gathered a team many believed had run its race and, 12 months later, beat Collingwood by 38 points in the Grand Final.

Sound thinking would say he had a terrific team, but Scott had to bring it all together.

It’s a long time ago, 2011.

Their most recent finals capitulation was in the first half of last year’s preliminary final against Sydney.

Again, Scott would say that is irrelevant for this group.

It’s not for Cats fans.

They are frustrated that home-and-away success does not translate to September success. So would the club. So would Scott.

A superlative home-and-away record earns Geelong respect, but in 20 years who will care if Geelong averaged 17 wins a season for six seasons way back when? It’s about premierships, and as every season comes and goes without one, the pressure mounts.

Scott is coaching the best of his career.

Last month he was voted by his peers, with Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley, as the hardest coach to coach against.

It was a wonderful acknowledgment, but again, how does it stack up if the 2017 campaign is a colossal failure.

He has been bold this year, willing to change game plans and change roles for his players.

Perhaps in response to the loss to Sydney last year, the Cats changed the way they moved the ball. It was free-flowing, a lot more transition footy, and at 5-0, the Cats were cocka-hoop. Then came three losses, to Collingwood, Gold Coast and Essendon, and Scott changed again.

So much so, from Rounds 9-23, the Cats became the best defensive team in the competition in terms of scores against.

He’s used Harry Taylor forward and back, he dispensed with Rhys Stanley, shown faith in Wylie Buzza, played Jake Kolodjashnij on a wing, stuck fat with Zac Smith, introduced Parsons and played Menegola more forward and there’s probably several more adjustments we don’t know of.

Perhaps most importantly, he plonked Scott Selwood in the middle and said get to work and Selwood hasn’t let him down in terms of supplying a contest and limiting the opposition’s best player.

In fact, Selwood on either Dustin Martin or Trent Cotchin on Friday night and the success there of could decide the contest.

The point is Scott has been aggressive as coach, with game plans and positional and personnel changes and it has given them yet another top-two finish and the double chance, which is the eighth time in the past 11 seasons the Cats have achieved such an outstanding home-and-away return.

Again, massive tick.

But if last year’s loss to Sydney is irrelevant, then so now is this year’s home-and-away season.

AFL great Leigh Matthews, who coached Scott, says there’s two parts to a football season. It’s about qualifying for finals, firstly, before a new a new-ball game begins.

The Cats have conquered one and need to conquer the second.

If they don’t, they’ll continue to be a good side but not a great one.

He is right but neglects how good a job Scott and the club have done in turning over our list and keeping us in with a chance at premiership success, this should not be underestimated, massive

Has there been any mention of Richmond's last three finals series failures from any outlet?

Don't disagree with anything Robbo says, just curious to see what direction they are heading with the coverage of the respective teams.

I used to think that too. But mate he's played nearly 100 games and honestly has played maybe 5 great games out of 98. He Threatens to go beserk but never does. His goal kicking is nothing short of embarrassing. I'm sick of him to be honest. He's had enough chances. Let someone else have a go.
Maybe your expectations are a bit high. He is a #2 ruck who can pinch hit up forward. Every premiership we've won in my time, we've had a good #1 plus an adequate backup- King, Blake, West.. Stanley might go berserk occasionally, but his true role is to help out as a ruckman, and be a threat on the forward line. I think that is all. Any more is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is right but neglects how good a job Scott and the club have done in turning over our list and keeping us in with a chance at premiership success, this should not be underestimated, massive

I think he makes it clear Scott has done a very good job in just about everything...except the thing that all are graded on.

Has there been any mention of Richmond's last three finals series failures from any outlet?

Don't disagree with anything Robbo says, just curious to see what direction they are heading with the coverage of the respective teams.
Richmond didn't lose all those finals after making top 4. Geelong has made top 4 time and time again only to fall flat on their face once finals begin. That's the difference. This is the first time Richmond have had a real shot. Geelong has had a multitude since 2011 and incessantly disappointed since.

I am not as confident on beating sydney but i believe if we beat rich and then get adel/gws etc after we will win the flag.

Yes things do open up for us if we beat Richmond. Sydney look ominous but the problem for them is they are a due an off game and can't afford one. They remind me a bit of us in 2012. Hit the finals in great form after an ordinary start and finished 6th hot on heels of top 4. Then we played an absolute stinker.

Richmond didn't lose all those finals after making top 4. Geelong has made top 4 time and time again only to fall flat on their face once finals begin. That's the difference. This is the first time Richmond have had a real shot. Geelong has had a multitude since 2011 and incessantly disappointed since.

Despite not being top 4 they flopped terribly against Carlton in '13 and were expected to beat the Roos in '15. Even in 2014 against the Power whilst not expected to win they weren't expected to be 10 goals to zip down in a flash. They are the one side who are as bad if not worse than us at just not showing up/performing in recent finals.

Yes things do open up for us if we beat Richmond. Sydney look ominous but the problem for them is they are a due an off game and can't afford one. They remind me a bit of us in 2012. Hit the finals in great form after an ordinary start and finished 6th hot on heels of top 4. Then we played an absolute stinker.
Sydney are not Geelong. Just because Geelong failed does not mean they will in the same position. I highly doubt Sydney will find themselves 7 goals to zip in the first quarter of a cut-throat final. I doubt Longmire would be so bad at getting his in-form side playing finals football.

Sydney are not Geelong. Just because Geelong failed does not mean they will in the same position. I highly doubt Sydney will find themselves 7 goals to zip in the first quarter of a cut-throat final. I doubt Longmire would be so bad at getting his in-form side playing finals football.

I never said they definitely will. I just feel they are due a stinker and the problem coming from 6th is you can't have one. All good, even great sides have them. I don't think it will necessarily happen against the Bombers but it is an increasingly better chance in the two weeks after.

The Richmond hype is unbelievable. Apparently, the MCG will win it for them.

LMAO
Re the Rance chatter. Rance isn't fit to carry Scarlett's bags to the ground. You watch Rance. He RARELY beats a player one on one. He has a huge amount of help - guys coming in - or else he is that 3rd man up. When you isolate him and make him accountable for one player - you see him get his pants pulled down. Watch the game for. 3 weeks ago. Taylor out bodies him regularly. It was hilarious to watch. And it happened cos we played super smart. Isolated them and kicked or to Taylor's advantage.

Richmond are filth. And they're about to have happen to them what we did to Norf in a final a few years ago - a huge huge cracking defeat.

MONDAY DIARY

- Not much has changed in terms of the media hype around Richmond

- All eyes on Selwood as he appears an almost certain starter

- Surely we'll start to hear more about Geelong 4 days out from the big game

- Richmond still unbackable favourites according to the ferals from Punt Road.

3 more notches until the confidence belt has been filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back