Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where you're going in terms of marking becomes an unreliable partner, but marks in wet weather games become even more important and you definitely need to be able to take them at least on occasion. So although less of a fundamental aspect of the game it does remain a vital clutch one.

The more interesting change for me will be the way you look to move it out of defence, after being really poor at times in the last game against us. Wet weather definitely won't help you there.

I don't reckon too much will change, I think our team balance will be better this time. Never thought the two rucks really worked (since neither could really play forward).

Oh I agree Turbocat, totally agree. Swans are our bogey team. I'll never ever forget that utterly humiliating flogging we were given at the SCG, just demoralising! What I wonder is why our strategy remains the same when playing them? Surely it's time to play them at their own game? Why isn't Geelong focusing on stopping their forward half pressure? Looking at their weaknesses + capitalising on them. A good example was the GWS -v- Swans game where the Giants smashed them at clearances (56-32), beat them in contested possession (160-154) and I50s (59-50). Still Swans beat them. Swans are brilliant a scoring from turnovers.

"Swans have outscored their opposition by 72 points in the opening 10 minutes of games this season, hitting the scoreboard hard early with 169 points for in the first 10 minutes of games, second only to the fast-starting Essendon.

Swans are the sixth-best scorers in 2017 while the Crows are in the top four for stopping scores against."

The last time we played, our game was so ugly! Turnovers, skill errors + dropped marks. Then Selwood's injury unsettled our players. We'd clawed back from 37 points down to within three goals, but after Joel went down the Swans were up by 29 at half-time. Swans kicked a seven goal opening quarter.

"The Swans' opening quarter score of 7.5 was the biggest first quarter by a Geelong opponent at Simonds Stadium since round nine, 1986 when Hawthorn kicked 8.0.

It also equalled the visitors' highest first-quarter score at the venue with the Swans kicking 7.5 way back in 1948.

The 46-point final margin was Geelong’s biggest loss at Simonds Stadium since a 52 point loss to Hawthorn in round three, 2006."

View attachment 411613

View attachment 411612
View attachment 411615
View attachment 411616
View attachment 411617

So people, how do we adjust our strategy to beat Sydney?

People seem to forget that in that game 6 weeks ago at 3/4 we were odds on to run home strongly and win, the game was lost in 20 seconds when Papley ****ed us over and got Duncan suspended and Sydney got 2 goals making a 3 goal lead an unassailable 5 goal lead, we had the run before that and were right in it. We can beat Sydney, we just have to stop them having a strong first quarter. After quarter time we always beat them, it's just a question of being in the game at quarter and 3 quarter time, and not doing anything clumsy because they have pathetic little shits like Papley and Jones

Oh I agree Turbocat, totally agree. Swans are our bogey team. I'll never ever forget that utterly humiliating flogging we were given at the SCG, just demoralising! What I wonder is why our strategy remains the same when playing them? Surely it's time to play them at their own game? Why isn't Geelong focusing on stopping their forward half pressure? Looking at their weaknesses + capitalising on them. A good example was the GWS -v- Swans game where the Giants smashed them at clearances (56-32), beat them in contested possession (160-154) and I50s (59-50). Still Swans beat them. Swans are brilliant a scoring from turnovers.

"Swans have outscored their opposition by 72 points in the opening 10 minutes of games this season, hitting the scoreboard hard early with 169 points for in the first 10 minutes of games, second only to the fast-starting Essendon.

Swans are the sixth-best scorers in 2017 while the Crows are in the top four for stopping scores against."

The last time we played, our game was so ugly! Turnovers, skill errors + dropped marks. Then Selwood's injury unsettled our players. We'd clawed back from 37 points down to within three goals, but after Joel went down the Swans were up by 29 at half-time. Swans kicked a seven goal opening quarter.

"The Swans' opening quarter score of 7.5 was the biggest first quarter by a Geelong opponent at Simonds Stadium since round nine, 1986 when Hawthorn kicked 8.0.

It also equalled the visitors' highest first-quarter score at the venue with the Swans kicking 7.5 way back in 1948.

The 46-point final margin was Geelong’s biggest loss at Simonds Stadium since a 52 point loss to Hawthorn in round three, 2006."

View attachment 411613

View attachment 411612
View attachment 411615
View attachment 411616
View attachment 411617

So people, how do we adjust our strategy to beat Sydney?

We beat Rich and we may not even have to play Syd. Clubs and teams thru history have always had good and bad match ups. It was rare to be as good as we once were when we feared no one and just beat everyone. Sydney could lose w1 or be beaten by Rich in W2.

The point about our finals record V H&A is that we have lost even to sides we generally have a good handle on. So our Rich history means less of an advantage than we may hope because on paper we could not hope for much more. Play a side that has a poor history V us. Has not won a final for sometime.. and will have quite a bit of external pressure. If we fail to play well against Rich then it will only confirm my paranoia that started this time last year.. that we have a Sept problem. The GWS game last week was slightly up lifting..it gave me hope.and I dead that in a way. I do not want to be lifted by our H&A efforts..I want finals performances.

Wtf is up with those stats? Are they based on this year? I thought our last quarters were one of the best not ranked 15th??

2015 not this year, funnily enough 2015 was the year we missed finals so hardly a good comparison on current team.

With our finals record post-2011, I think that we tend to also underestimate the fact that - like in 89, 92, 94 and 95 - we weren't the best side in it in any of the years post-2011. Of course, that's easier to say in retrospect.

Thats it - if Geel had an Ess 1999 type team and did an Ess 99 - then Biggy Boys arguement is 1000% correct .
However from 2014 onwards Geel have had average teams - a good example is one year their Geel beat Carlton in both games by less than a goal - they aernt flash wins - but they are still wins . Nth Melb and Collingwood would lose those games and probably did .

He is right but neglects how good a job Scott and the club have done in turning over our list and keeping us in with a chance at premiership success, this should not be underestimated, massive
Yeah true but for me that's ran its race now. It's time to deliver and he of all people would be acutely aware of that.

You can only hide behind a "transition period" for so long before it becomes old news and I think that as of this year we've reached that point, or at least I know that I definitely have.

Thats it - if Geel had an Ess 1999 type team and did an Ess 99 - then Biggy Boys arguement is 1000% correct .
However from 2014 onwards Geel have had average teams - a good example is one year their Geel beat Carlton in both games by less than a goal - they aernt flash wins - but they are still wins . Nth Melb and Collingwood would lose those games and probably did .
I agree with that - in 2014 and 2017 in particular, Geelong's ladder position is probably somewhat inflated compared to its true standing. This year we played five games decided by a goal or less, and went 4-1-0 in them.

Umpires for this week: Stevic, Nicholls, McInerney

On the bright side, no Chamberlain?

432948b85ea3e7619f67e0c041fe544c.jpg

I'm a little more confident this year though than last coming into this finals series. Last year I thought we were pretenders and it turned out that we were. This year doesn't give me the same feel. I reckon we are playing better and I reckon Scott is actually coaching better as well. Our back six looks far more competent than in 2016 with Bews going up a few levels, Stewart providing more mobility, and we also have Henderson most importantly entering this series fit and in form. Even Lonergan and Mackie i reckon are playing a bit better than last year.

The midfield is also stronger with Duncan going to an elite level, S.Selwood having a nice run of both games and form entering the finals, Menegola taking his game to another level and finally C.Guthrie looking like he's playing his best footy in quite some time. Add Danger and hopefully a fit Joel and we have a far better and deeper midfield than last year.

Forward line is perhaps our area of relative weakness with a reliance on Hawkins and Menzel to kick a score. But our actual system in entering the forward 50 seems, to me, far better than last year where we relied more on weight on numbers of inside 50's to kick a score. With luck Motlop can string 3 games together and we see contributions from the likes of Parfitt, Cockatoo and Parsons. That is the big unknown and question mark.

But if we account for Richmond this Friday night then I don't expect to see the same insipid start to a prelim as we witnessed last year. I would hope that the playing group are absolutely desperate to erase those ugly memories.

Our back six looks far more competent than in 2016 with Bews going up a few levels, Stewart providing more mobility, and we also have Henderson most importantly entering this series fit and in form. Even Lonergan and Mackie i reckon are playing a bit better than last year.
The only downside from last year would have to be enright>2E.

*very harsh on zac tbf:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only downside from last year would have to be enright>2E.

*very harsh on zac tbf:eek:

Forgot Tuohy - Enright struggled in the finals last year - his reflexes and composure under pressure went missing. I actually think that Tuohy represents an upgrade on him based on only last years form. Further reason our back six is far better equipped to deal with whatever September will throw at us this year than last.

Chamberlain is a fair umpire, even if a little eccentric. Stevic and Nicholls are Hawk supporters who will ensure we don't win. McInerney is just incompetent. Those 3 are going to make a frustrating night.
Amazing. I knew we'd be given those two corrupt muppets.

I don't reckon too much will change, I think our team balance will be better this time. Never thought the two rucks really worked (since neither could really play forward).
I think that our ruck advantage along with our bigger, more hardened and experienced outfit should definitely help us if it is infact a wet day. Of course you still need to be good enough to perform well under any conditions though.

Mark Williams on SEN - "im 100 % certain Richmond will win Friday night".

With so many people certain the tigers will win, how about we just don't show up at all? No point really. :drunk:
Did hear it. :D

Mark Williams on SEN - "im 100 % certain Richmond will win Friday night".

With so many people certain the tigers will win, how about we just don't show up at all? No point really. :drunk:
He's biased towards Richmond due to the time he spent there. If we hit them hard early they will crumble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back