Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not accept that he's actually been dropped?
They have watched him all week at training and it's been wet and heavy.
He may have looked a poor option in these conditions to come up against Richmond, who will run and run all night on their home ground.
As far as being dropped before, who knows if all those "managed" games he's missed were not dropped?

I can accept it and still be angry about it. He's shown he can perform in wet conditions before. He's a big game player, has x-factor, is a match winner, he should be playing finals unless his body is too sore.

Because during the season they would've said "omitted" instead of "managed" if he was dropped, and he would've played in the VFL those weeks to try and earn a senior recall, but he didn't because his body was being managed.

Now, I understand this doesn't mean he won't be picked for the entire finals series of course, but for this game in particular I'm very disappointed he's been omitted.

And if he is a late in after all this I'll be laughing and crying at the same time after the stress this has put me through :D

All these posts suggesting J Selwood to play forward... I just don't see it. He'll play where he always plays. Centre square in a massive MCG final is where he belongs.

Danger is the one to rotate forward. Richmond will be shitting themselves at the prospect.

And Menegola, showing Caddy how to actually play the midfield/forward role well :cool:

More intimating at a coach/player falling out. I'd hope this wasn't the case. Menzel, to me, strikes me as a genuinely nice guy. Obviously incredibly mentally resilient. I can't even guess why there would be disharmony between the club and him other than if his contract demands are completely out of step with the club's expectations.

There's no falling out it's just a team balance issue. Scott seems to genuinely like him as do all the coaches but they are selecting to a structure this week.

Why not accept that he's actually been dropped?
They have watched him all week at training and it's been wet and heavy.
He may have looked a poor option in these conditions to come up against Richmond, who will run and run all night on their home ground.
As far as being dropped before, who knows if all those "managed" games he's missed were not dropped?

Exactly - as others have pointed out he has played well previously in the wet, but we don't know what's happened on the training track this week when it's been a week of wet weather which will no doubt have an impact on the ground conditions even if we avoid a lot of rain during the match.

For all we know he was training well but as the weeks gone on and the ground's got heavier he may have started to struggle more, where he's got heavy in the legs and not running over the top of the ground like we need our guys to be.

All these posts suggesting J Selwood to play forward... I just don't see it. He'll play where he always plays. Centre square in a massive MCG final is where he belongs.

Danger is the one to rotate forward. Richmond will be shitting themselves at the prospect.

Yea PD plays better there but Joel is excellent with the footy up forward and his contest winning and pressure can be very handy. Whatever keeps Cam Guthrie as a pure mid I'm happy with. He was horrible all year until he went back in there and stayed once Joel was injured.

Looked ok in his last game for us and closer to 'it' than Zuthrie.
Is he? Zuthrie in our match v Richmond 3 weeks ago played well as part of a back 6 that nullified their small forwards.
Nothing's changed since that game, they still rely on it to score, so much so that it's a reason they're written off for the flag.

Is he? Zuthrie in our match v Richmond 3 weeks ago played well as part of a back 6 that nullified their small forwards.
Nothing's changed since that game, they still rely on it to score, so much so that it's a reason they're written off for the flag.
He was a complete non-factor in the Richmond game. That's been pretty much the case in every game he's played.

Both pretty good that day I suppose. I'd just prefer the more experienced one for finals.

As I said earlier I'd prefer Menzel in over both and Zuth in for Kolo if there small forwards are suddenly such a worry.

He was a complete non-factor in the Richmond game. That's been pretty much the case in every game he's played.

With the pill sure but how did his man do. Yeah didn't think so. That's the role of a small defender, to stop your man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both pretty good that day I suppose. I'd just prefer the more experienced one for finals.

As I said earlier I'd prefer Menzel in over both and Zuth in for Kolo if there small forwards are suddenly such a worry.

You know how little credence I give to the Kolo out calls. You've wanted that all year to no avail.

You know how little credence I give to the Kolo out calls. You've wanted that all year to no avail.
He's been doing ok. I don't want him out for poor form. Or necessarily team balance. I've liked him on the wing. But if someone from our settled line up suddenly needs to come out for Zuthrie so he can play on a Tiger small fwd I'd prefer it was Kolo as opposed to someone that's kicked 38 goals, assisted another 15 and at times and we get stuck in the rut of shit entries/conversion seems like the only one likely to make something count.

clearly zuthrie is in to play a lockdown role on one of the Richmond smalls. few weeks ago their small forwards were non existent , and as I remember pointing out before that match, although they pressure really well, they are young and inexperienced. Coaches are clearly backing our system to kick goals, especially with menengola and danger pushing forward. If weather forecast is correct 12 goals probably wins it, and with Taylor, Hawkins, Motlop, Parsons, Parfitt and the midfield rotating through that is more than enough firepower to win

My stress levels are off the planet. Now no menzel? Bloody hell. We need menz but if weather is bad then not sure menz can handle it. Not sure if anyone saw him doubling over twice during the GWS game holding his knees in an odd manner but that worried me at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropping your second best forward - the guy ranked second in the side for goals and goal assists per game - to bring in a feeble, inexperienced 18-year-old rookie doesn't strike me as a solution.

Dropping the worst pressure player in the competition when you get continually get carved up on the spread on a bigger ground sounds like an attempt at a remedy. Granted it needs more than a token change in personnel to work but it is a start at trying to rectify the problem. Whether it works or not, well Scott is going to get cained if it doesn't.

Dropping the worst pressure player in the competition when you get continually get carved up on the spread on a bigger ground sounds like an attempt at a remedy. Granted it needs more than a token change in personnel to work but it is a start at trying to rectify the problem. Whether it works or not, well Scott is going to get cained if it doesn't.
We are the best pressure side in the afl according to the stats after round 8 so I don't think its personnel, it's usually lack of execution. our gameplan is highly dependent on pressure at the contest, if that doesn't happen we look slow and get carved up on the spread

Last edited:
Two goals at the same ground three weeks ago against the same team, nine goals from four matches there this year, doesn't seem to perform that badly there.
Those two goals were kicked at Kardinina Park against Richmond ... a narrower ground where his lack of pressure isn't really exposed. Performance comes down to a number of factors and I guess they took into consideration his inability to chase and pressure considering who we're up against ... a quickish team with a defense that likes to spread and run

No it's not.
Sorry mate but you're wrong. I 100% know for a fact that Bomber was out the door long before Ablett considered doing the same. I worked with one of Essendon's main trainers at the time.
Okay Nakia what's the final update on your Belt of Confidence? :thumbsu:

Hasn't changed. Still at 95%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back