Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'm finding funny is the complaints from some that the omission of Menzel is that Scott hates forwards but loves defenders.

We are one of the best attacking sides this year - we finished 4th, one point behind Essendon who was third.
- we also finished with the 6th least points scored against.

But a key going into tonight, especially with predicted poor weather is our fantastic record under Scott in low games. Under Scott we have NEVER lost when we've kept the opposition to less than 80 points - I remember the number of wins was around 72 earlier this season, so that number would be approaching 80 consecutivre matches without loss when we can clamp down on the opposition scoring.

Since the bye we played 11 matches - in 7 of those we kept the opposition to less than 80 points and either won or drew those games. The win over the Hawks was the only time we beat an opponent and they scored over 80 points. In our 3 losses we had scores of 83, 92 & 107 against.

So, if that is one of our strengths why wouldn't we play to that?

Last edited:
Richmond have three small forwards (Rioli, Butler and Castagna), two medium forwards (Caddy, Townsend) and Riewoldt as their sole tall target.

If we assume Zuthrie has been brought in to play on one of the three smalls, and that Bews and one of Mackie/Tuohy take the other, could this be a decision to free up one of Mackie or Tuohy to play on the wing?

We need another small defender against Richmond. Thurlow was ordinary in defence earlier in the year and has only started to play reasonable football since he was moved onto the ball. Z. Guthrie is a better decision maker, is more composed and has better disposal than Ruggles.

We need another small defender against Richmond. Thurlow was ordinary in defence earlier in the year and has only started to play reasonable football since he was moved onto the ball. Z. Guthrie is a better decision maker, is more composed and has better disposal than Ruggles.

Which is seriously impressive for a first year player. I like that we're getting him some finals experience too.

Richmond have three small forwards (Rioli, Butler and Castagna), two medium forwards (Caddy, Townsend) and Riewoldt as their sole tall target.

If we assume Zuthrie has been brought in to play on one of the three smalls, and that Bews and one of Mackie/Tuohy take the other, could this be a decision to free up one of Mackie or Tuohy to play on the wing?

It's two separate decisions: (1) select Zuthrie and (2) omit Menzel.

Regarding decision #2, the match committee could have omitted Parsons or Parfitt instead.

I hope Menzel is a late inclusion and this is all just a silly mind game.

But a key going into tonight, especially with predicted poor weather is our fantastic record under Scott in low games. Under Scott we have NEVER lost when we've kept the opposition to less than 80 points

Good pickup. Even in good conditions tonight is a low scoring game, absolutely no doubt.

Pretty much guarantee game total will not get over 160.

It's two separate decisions: (1) select Zuthrie and (2) omit Menzel.

Regarding decision #2, the match committee could have omitted Parsons or Parfitt instead.

I hope Menzel is a late inclusion and this is all just a silly mind game.
Both of whom are excellent defensive pressure forwards...hence no Menzel! Clearly the plan is to expose Richmonds lack of height with Hawkins, Taylor, Blicavs and Smith (the latter 2 rotating through the F50 on occasion), and to surround them with players who will apply enough pressure on the running, linking Richmond defenders to force them into hurried clearance kicks which our half-backs can mop up. This leads to repeat inside 50s which is one of the most important facets of modern footy. If our I50s are "one and done" each time, Richmond are far more likely to win on the rebound and spread.
Another mitigating factor in Menzel's omission is Menegola's ability to find space in F50 and be a genuine goal-kicking HHF with good overhead marking skills, particularly with Joel Selwood back meaning less MF time for Menegola.

So gameday...

No more talk..its all about the walk.

If have maintain all year. Its about finals..and jus like last night with the Crows.. a serious side just moves up a gear. Been a long time since we elevate din finals..we more often look like we are mountaineer that have just found themselves on a steeper climb.
I have been impressed that guys like Menegola have played well enough to get some recognition and our backline is far more steady and reliable at this stage of the year than at the start..but still finals is another level

Smith is important. He looked against Mumford..but Mumford last night looked like death warmed up. Menzel cleaned up a bit of rubbish against GWS so someone will need to kick goals.. and traditionally a good game from Hawk is good for 3. After 208 game we know what he is and he averages is on 2 a game. Can Motlop do something on a night made for the ark? Perhaps Selwood will play more forward on a night they will need grit?

Win tonight and we play a PF against the weaker side of the draw.

A lot of questions ..and tonight we get some answers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zuthrie in to play the enforcer role. He won't care if he's rubbed out for the next week. Watch out Dusty
I'm sure Dusty is terrified. ;)

Zach+Guthrie+Geelong+Cats+Training+Session+_HPfceMeTpyl.jpg

Personally, I'll be taking a large drink every time he gets pushed off the footy tonight :eek:
Based on his recent efforts you'll be pretty sober after the match and may be able to act as the designated driver

I've been meaning to say this all week ... I'm looking forward to Tom Lonergan once again wiping the floor with one of the biggest flogs in the league.

Tried to get too smart at selection by using obscure stats and will cost us dearly.

Zach Guthrie is nowhere near ready for a final and will get probably 7 or 8 touches.

Vs menzel who could potentially kick 3 or 4 goals in a low scoring game.

If Alex rance wins his battle say against taylor and keeps him away.. It leaves us very thin with goal scoring options.

The only think I can think of is that due to the wet we can afford to run selwood with Duncan, menegelola, scooter and cam Guthrie and probably have danger play full forward for a big chunk of the game.

I still can't fathom the reasoning behind that selection

I still can't fathom the reasoning behind that selection
I'll break it down slowly for you because It's not really hard to wrap ones head around.

- Richmond have plenty of small, quick running players.

- There's a possibility that it will be cold and damp.

- We'll have Taylor and Hawkins up forward (adding Menzel limits our ability to apply defensive pressure and plays to their strengths.

- The Tigers have a small forward line.

- Zac blanketed Rioli last time.

- It's match-up and opposition related.

I'll break it down slowly for you because It's not really hard to wrap ones head around.

- Richmond have plenty of small, quick running players.

- There's a possibility that it will be cold and damp.

- We'll have Taylor and Hawkins up forward (adding Menzel limits our ability to apply defensive pressure and plays to their strengths.

- The Tigers have a small forward line.

- Zac blanketed Rioli last time.

- It's match-up and opposition related.

Right I have said it before and this is your last warning.

If you continue to make coherent and reasonable points whilst rebutting moronic emotive madness. You will be banned from bigfooty! Until you learn what this forum is actually about!

No excuses now because you have been clearly and unequivocally warned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back