Preview 2017 2nd QF Geelong v Richmond @ Richmond's home ground, 7:50pm Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last time people were SO confident we were gonna get spanked..

circa 07 GF...

Not saying Tigers are a push over, but they should at least let us turn up.

GO Catters

the last time people were SO confident we were gonna get spanked..

circa 07 GF...

Not saying Tigers are a push over, but they should at least let us turn up.

GO Catters
09 was also a time when we were written off before the finals - I remember the commentators talking up the Saints, Pies & Dogs as the only chance for the flag and that whoever played us in week one would be happy to have us as an opponent

B: Bews, Lonergan, Stewart
HB: Mackie, Henderson, Tuohy
C: C. Guthrie, Dangerfield, Duncan
HF: J. Selwood, Hawkins, Motlop
F: Cockatoo, Taylor, Menzel
R: Smith, Menegola, S. Selwood

Int: Blicavs, Murdoch, Kolodjashnij, Thurlow

Emg: Stanley, Lang and Z. Guthrie

IN: J. Selwood, Thurlow and Cockatoo
OUT: Buzza (omit), Parsons (ankle) and Parfitt (calf/omit)

• C. Guthrie to tag Martin again, S. Selwood to tag Cotchin again.
  • Hawkins to play CHF like Carlton game, and to allow Harry/Rance match up.
  • Parfitt or Lang to play if Cockatoo is still not right.
  • J. Selwood to play some game time at half-forward. His injury means he may not be able to burst out of the centre. He takes good contested marks for his size, and would give a Tigers defender a bit more to think about. Would prefer to allow C. Guthrie more time in the centre to mind Martin.
  • Tigers have no recognised second ruck or second key forward. Do not need either Buzza or Stanley for this game. Blitz to do the back-up rucking.

He's biased towards Richmond due to the time he spent there. If we hit them hard early they will crumble...

That could be right, I guess.

Just refreshing to see that he's totally over the 119 and that none of that non-objective angst is reflected in his 'certainty' that the Cats will go down.

:cool:

I know you love relentlessly bagging the Cats - however your summations are too black and white - too cut and dry

Post 2013 ( thats the last time Geel had a team that was a bona fide Premiership winnining chance - and just missed out in the PF)

Since then Geel have had good ordinary teams at best - and you could argue that the Cats have done an outstanding job qualifying so high with the talent theve had . In one of those qualifying finals against Hawthorn - the scores were dead level at half time - and Geel had Josh Walker at CHF - and he has proved at Brisbane since he cant cut the mustard

It all comes down to what talent youve got - why did Hawthorn go from missing out to winning flags - because they recruited a champion full back in Lake - which plugged a massive hole - didnt then have Schoenmakers running around like a chook with its head cut off

One thing you want to remember mate - is that this year - the top 2 teams ( Ade Geel ) only won 15.5 games - last year the Eagles who finished 6th - won 16 games - that says that this year isnt a strong year - and thus Geel/Rich/ Ade - any of them could get thrown out in straight sets

When Geel did have top notch teams 2007-2011 they won flags mate - but since 2013 theve done a damm good job with the talent they had - other teams like Nth Melb Collingwood - theres a stack of them - could have won as many games but didnt .

They would then argue that because we didn't have the cattle, we should have cleaned the list out and rebuilt, as that's a foolproof formula to success.

That could be right, I guess.

Just refreshing to see that he's totally over the 119 and that none of that non-objective angst is reflected in his 'certainty' that the Cats will go down.

:cool:
Yeah there could be a bit of ill feeling left over from the Port days as well I suppose... :oops:

I don't know why so many of you care who others think will win, it didn't do jack shit for us in the 08 GF having everyone thinking we would win.

I just don't know what everyones obsession with Richmond is. It's like they've gone undefeated for the entire year and they have already made the GF. It's baffling. Like someone said before it reminds me of 09. KB came out in round 20 and said Geelong couldn't win the flag. All the other experts didn't give us a hope in week 1 either. Finals are completely unpredictable and saying a team is "a dead set certainty" is ridiculous. How don't these people learn?

I don't know why so many of you care who others think will win, it didn't do jack shit for us in the 08 GF having everyone thinking we would win.

I wouldn't say everyone really cares who others think will win, I think it's more just having a laugh during the week before it gets closer to game time.

For me personally, seeing other posters having great confidence in winning this weekend helps ease my nerves because I'm nervous as f***.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• J. Selwood to play some game time at half-forward. His injury means he may not be able to burst out of the centre. He takes good contested marks for his size, and would give a Tigers defender a bit more to think about. Would prefer to allow C. Guthrie more time in the centre to mind Martin.
  • Tigers have no recognised second ruck or second key forward. Do not need either Buzza or Stanley for this game. Blitz to do the back-up rucking.
Please feel free to contribute more to this board. :thumbsu:

I wouldn't say everyone really cares who others think will win, I think it's more just having a laugh during the week before it gets closer to game time.

For me personally, seeing other posters having great confidence in winning this weekend helps ease my nerves because I'm nervous as f***.
I think many of us are nervous, but when the media writes you off on cliche and not evidence, it does bring some hope.

Agree with all of that except I'd play Parfitt in front of Thurlow.

I just don't know what everyones obsession with Richmond is. It's like they've gone undefeated for the entire year and they have already made the GF. It's baffling. Like someone said before it reminds me of 09. KB came out in round 20 and said Geelong couldn't win the flag. All the other experts didn't give us a hope in week 1 either. Finals are completely unpredictable and saying a team is "a dead set certainty" is ridiculous. How don't these people learn?
It makes it all the sweeter when we win. A few Geelong fans on the main board are taking it way too seriously how neutrals are tipping Richmond.

Last edited:
Certainly brings to mind his ramblings in the week leading up to the "07 GF.
Richmond do well to gag this idiot.

His reasoning why they will win this time:

1. Martin will play better
2. Cotchin will play better
3. The small forwards were overawed by the small ground

So he's saying, 'everyone will play better and therefore its a guarantee we'll win!'

And in regards to this small forward issue. They are a vaunted forward half pressure team that loves tackling. If you can't get the job done in a small skinny ground like SS, then how are you going to do it on a wide ground like the MCG?

So he's saying, 'everyone will play better and therefore its a guarantee we'll win!'

And in regards to this small forward issue. They are a vaunted forward half pressure team that loves tackling. If you can't get the job done in a small skinny ground like SS, then how are you going to do it on a wide ground like the MCG?

It's just an idiotic comment. "Certainties" is complete bullshit. I can understand why some may think they can get over the line against us but how on earth can you be "certainties" when you haven't beaten us this millennium?!

So basically he has no objective reason for being certain they will win at all. Its just the "vibe" of it.

Exactly.
I also love how he ignores that we were missing Selwood, Duncan, Blicavs and Hawkins from the team that will line up this weekend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back