Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the clubs you mentioned get their acts together and we have another very close season the records will tumble.We just need one of the QLD clubs to start firing and that would be a bonus.
I think its very possible, richmond with the flag :mad::mad: will get record crowds next season, West Coast and Fremantle with the new stadium will dramatically boost there crowds, Collingwood with the ANZAC match and Essendon getting better will all contribute, you know what you get with Adelaide on the crowd front. Think its very possible.

If the clubs you mentioned get their acts together and we have another very close season the records will tumble.We just need one of the QLD clubs to start firing and that would be a bonus.

Well, Brisbane anyway. People have forgotten how decent their crowds used to be. They don't even need to be flag contenders, they only need to be not a steaming pile of horse shit to get 25k+ crowds consistently. If they were winning 2/3rds of their games they'd be getting 30-35k every 2nd week.

I still think the whole ratings system is very flawed and can only be a rough(very) estimate.
Two workmates were at BBQs that had around 50 people and even I had 8 people at my place watching so how do these hundreds of thousands at clubs,pubs,bars and BBQs get factored in or dont they?
Or the 1000s and 1000s at punt Rd, the MCG live site, feed square, pubs in and around the city, the BBQ party's across the state. I think the real figure in actual terms is a million more than recorded.

I still think the whole ratings system is very flawed and can only be a rough(very) estimate.
Two workmates were at BBQs that had around 50 people and even I had 8 people at my place watching so how do these hundreds of thousands at clubs,pubs,bars and BBQs get factored in or dont they?
It's the same for both codes though, and unless any of these family's who went to a pub etc had a ratings box it doesn't really matter.

I reckon the amount of BBQ's and house events etc will dry up once the AFL is shifted to a twilight format, which means the amount of actual TV's showing the match the increase, not necessarily meaning more viewers.

I still think the whole ratings system is very flawed and can only be a rough
It's the same for both codes though, and unless any of these family's who went to a pub etc had a ratings box it doesn't really matter.

Except the GFs are played are different times and I've long suspected that people are more likely to go out to watch the game in the afternoon than at night when they are more likely to stay at home.

There is now strong evidence to show this. Roy Morgan indicates that 1.0m watched the AFL GF at friends compared to the NRL (just 330k). It also indicates that 360k watched the AFL GF at pubs/clubs compared to just 170k for the NRL.

I suspect this is part of the reason why the TV stations charge more per ad during the AFL GF than the NRL; they and the advertisers know that there's a lot more people watching than what the Oztam/Regional Tam ratings indicate.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7356-afl-grand-final-viewers-september-2017-201710020358

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7358-nrl-grand-final-viewership-october-2017-201710020843

Is it though? Sunday night compared to Saturday afternoon. I'm pretty sure there'd be many more at gatherings and BBQ on the Saturday afternoon compared to Sunday night.
Keep in mind though that the Monday following the NRL Grand Final is a public holiday for a lot of the country so it's not your usual Sunday night.

Except the GFs are played are different times and I've long suspected that people are more likely to go out to watch the game in the afternoon than at night when they are more likely to stay at home.

There is now strong evidence to show this. Roy Morgan indicates that 1.0m watched the AFL GF at friends compared to the NRL (just 330k). It also indicates that 360k watched the AFL GF at pubs/clubs compared to just 170k for the NRL.

I suspect this is part of the reason why the TV stations charge more per ad during the AFL GF than the NRL; they and the advertisers know that there's a lot more people watching than what the Oztam/Regional Tam ratings indicate.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7356-afl-grand-final-viewers-september-2017-201710020358

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7358-nrl-grand-final-viewership-october-2017-201710020843

Yeah this makes sense....i've always been suspicious of GF ratings...I know there is always "people-you-know" bias but ratings that suggest only a third of Melbournians are watching the GF are clearly wrong

Interesting looking at the state breakdowns (though i'm sure there is a reasonable sampling error margin and, given it is Roy Morgan, fair to say the non-sampling error margin is likely greater than the sampling error margin)

upload_2017-10-3_16-56-52.png

NSW is the big one for me. No team in either competition....the rest aligns pretty much with expectations (i.e. AFL GF bigger in its heartland than the RL is in its heartland; AFL bigger in league's heartland than the NRL is in the AFL's; representation adds a premium to proportion of viewers in a state etc)

True, Sunday night is true primetime, most family's are home and on the couch.

"There is now strong evidence to show this. Roy Morgan indicates that 1.0m watched the AFL GF at friends compared to the NRL (just 330k). It also indicates that 360k watched the AFL GF at pubs/clubs compared to just 170k for the NRL."

Thats 1.36 Million as against only 530 k for the NRL and dont forget hundreds of thousands people work, play sports and do other activities during the day on Saturdays who cant watch the match live.

With the massive prime time bias towards the NRL their figures now look even worse.

Does anyone think the NRL would get 400,00 or more on a Sat afternoon in Melbourne?

"There is now strong evidence to show this. Roy Morgan indicates that 1.0m watched the AFL GF at friends compared to the NRL (just 330k). It also indicates that 360k watched the AFL GF at pubs/clubs compared to just 170k for the NRL."
Thats 1.36 Million as against only 530 k for the NRL and hundreds of thousands of people work, play sports and do other activities during the day on Saturdays

With the massive prime time bias towards the NRL their figures now look even worse.

Does anyone think the NRL would get 400,00 or more on a Sat afternoon in Melbourne?
The NRL do everything for ratings, their GF and SOO are played in prime time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its very possible, richmond with the flag :mad::mad: will get record crowds next season, West Coast and Fremantle with the new stadium will dramatically boost there crowds, Collingwood with the ANZAC match and Essendon getting better will all contribute, you know what you get with Adelaide on the crowd front. Think its very possible.

I reckon all clubs memberships next year will improve on the back of Richmonds come from 13th to premiers which gives all supporters hope.
We might even top the 1 million mark for the first time.

I imagine there would be some Storm fatigue as well. They've made finals every year possible since 2003, and 7 grand finals in the last 11 seasons for 4 Premierships.
But apparently the AFL prop up expansion clubs lol, the NRL IMO are privately propping up the Storm, unless of course these gun NRL players prefer to live in Melboure compared to Bondi and the GC, the Storm have been to strong for to long to deny something's going on.

But apparently the AFL prop up expansion clubs lol, the NRL IMO are privately propping up the Storm, unless of course these gun NRL players prefer to live in Melboure compared to Bondi and the GC, the Storm have been to strong for to long to deny something's going on.
There have only ever been 2 or 4 players that were brought up in Melbourne for a short period of time to have played for the storm. Nearly all the players come down from nsw and Qld

So there's a lot of push in the NRL to basically get rid of stadium consolidation and have everyone go back to their suburban grounds. St George just announced they're not playing games at ANZ next year, and this comes after Channel 9 pushed for more games at suburban grounds because it looks better on TV than the empty cavern that is ANZ stadium.

You have to wonder why the government is going to spend $1.6 billion on stadium upgrades at ANZ and the SFS when it doesn't even seem like anyone wants to play there. This direction may change again once it becomes more clear where that $1.6 billion is going, but from all appearances the NRL are giving up on growing their crowds and are going to focus entirely on TV audiences.

I mean, I like the Storm being successful because I like it when the outsider sticks it up the heartland. But their success has been based off a great coach and a core group of players (Smith, Slater, Cronk) that was kept together through a massive illegal rorting of the salary cap.

So there's a lot of push in the NRL to basically get rid of stadium consolidation and have everyone go back to their suburban grounds. St George just announced they're not playing games at ANZ next year, and this comes after Channel 9 pushed for more games at suburban grounds because it looks better on TV than the empty cavern that is ANZ stadium.

You have to wonder why the government is going to spend $1.6 billion on stadium upgrades at ANZ and the SFS when it doesn't even seem like anyone wants to play there. This direction may change again once it becomes more clear where that $1.6 billion is going, but from all appearances the NRL are giving up on growing their crowds and are going to focus entirely on TV audiences.

Probably better suits their circumstances (playing at small, run-down suburban grounds)

total estimated ratings - 2017

aflvnrl_seasontotal.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back