Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardly a knock (not that I'm suggesting that was your intent) Tyson with his average peg would be our 2nd best midfielder.

I'm just wondering what is Cerra's main point of difference? Elite extraction capabilities?
I thimk his type would be complementary to a prime extractor. Can do his shift in close but also spread and use it. Also as first receiver with clean hands to move it to the runner.

All round mids with a brain ain't that easy to find. A feel for the game is a terribly underrated commodity. Would far prefer it to a bloke who can crack in, run fast and deliver it to no one in particular.

Finding the right option in a crowded space is golden.

I thimk his type would be complementary to a prime extractor. Can do his shift in close but also spread and use it. Also as first receiver with clean hands to move it to the runner.

All round mids with a brain ain't that easy to find. A feel for the game is a terribly underrated commodity. Would far prefer it to a bloke who can crack in, run fast and deliver it to no one in particular.

I was won over when Bewick said he kicks the ball to his teammates advantage

Am I taking liberties by making comparisons with Sam Mitchell?

SA COMBINE RESULTS

2017 STATE COMBINE RESULTS

20m Sprint
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 2.92 seconds
Josh Smithson (West) 2.92
Dom Barry (Glenelg) 2.93
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 2.93
Liam Denton (Glenelg) 2.97

Standing Vertical Jump

Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 81cm
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 74cm
Josh Smithson (West) 73cm
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 73cm
Bryce Denham (North) 73cm
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 73cm

Running Vertical Jump – Right Hand
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 95cm
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 91cm
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 87cm
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 85cm
Oscar Chapman (North) 84cm

Running Vertical Jump – Left Hand
Jake Weidemann (Eagles) 90cm
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 89cm
Josh Smithson (West) 88cm
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 87cm
Bryce Denham (North) 85cm

Agility Test
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 7.92 seconds
Dom Barry (Glenelg) 8.06
Josh Smithson (West) 8.14
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 8.21
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 8.26
Harry Petty (Norwood) 8.29

Running Yo-Yo Test
Stefan Giro (Norwood) Level 22.3
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) Level 21.6
Jake Weidemann (Eagles) Level 21.6
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) Level 21.3
Harry Petty (Norwood) Level 21.2
Jackson Edwards (Glenelg) Level 21.1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we could be in a spot of bother if It goes UDL, Dow, Cerra. In my opinion we want one of those three

Yeah on a needs basis but Rayner will be a very good player and is likely to play at least a bit part role in the midfield in the years to come.

I wouldn't be at all upset with him.

So we could be in a spot of bother if It goes UDL, Dow, Cerra. In my opinion we want one of those three
Pray for a miracle that one of them pull a surprise and go for Cerra or Brayshaw.

LDU,Dow,Rayner are the top 3. Leaves us with Cerra, Stephenson and Brayshaw.

There's still a bit to play out, but the journo's usually get the top 10 spot on these days. It's not too candid with recruiters till after the top 10.

If Twoomey is saying Cerra or Stephenson, I reckon it will be between those two.

Cerra is rated FAR higher in recruiting circles than around these parts.

Yeah on a needs basis but Rayner will be a very good player and is likely to play at least a bit part role in the midfield in the years to come.

I wouldn't be at all upset with him.

Forgive me as I don't watch the youngsters highlights until we draft them, as i see the ones beyond our reach and it's bloody frustrating. Is he a fwd?

Forgive me as I don't watch the youngsters highlights until we draft them, as i see the ones beyond our reach and it's bloody frustrating. Is he a fwd?

He is. Obviously the lack of endurance is the big question mark on him. He has played small amounts as a centre square mid at times in the championships and can extract the ball as well as the others albeit from a much smaller sample.

I think his endurance is somewhat overplayed at least from a game sense. I say that because he has played some very good last quarters. I think back to the game vic metro against the allies which VM lost and he was pushing right up the ground in the last qrt, kicked an amazingly clinical goal from the wing running back to goal. Didn't looked spent at all and he and Higgins almost won he game for VM.

I guess at senior level the demands on fitness are so much higher though so that's where the concern comes from.

But he is a beast of a footballer

Am I taking liberties by making comparisons with Sam Mitchell?
Probably.

Mitchell was a freak at creating his own space and then hitting the best outlet. Not sure too many would be as cerebral at this age.

Hardly a knock (not that I'm suggesting that was your intent) Tyson with his average peg would be our 2nd best midfielder.

I'm just wondering what is Cerra's main point of difference? Elite extraction capabilities?
Knightmare on the Phantoms board says he's the best extractor in the draft, followed by Worpel.

Cerra averaged 5.5 tackels a game at the champs. 14.5 contested possies and 1.75 contested marks at tac this year. Tough kid with beautiful skills and can run all day. If he was quick off the mark he would be the clear number 1.

I don't think he will around at our pick.

Cerra averaged 5.5 tackels a game at the champs. 14.5 contested possies and 1.75 contested marks at tac this year. Tough kid with beautiful skills and can run all day. If he was quick off the mark he would be the clear number 1.

I don't think he will around at our pick.

If he's not it means one of Dow, LDU and Rayner are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Back