2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a large difference between opinions and facts and expressing your opinion as a fact is a very good way for people to ignore what you're saying. Especially when you're dismissive of others opinions.

And yes, Andrews has to learn how to defend. He can't be a loose defender for his entire career. Look at Rance. He still takes the second best key back. But with experience he's learned when to peel off and effect the play. I'd expect we'd be hoping for both Andrews and McStay to learn this skill.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

With Andrews dominating the oppontents attacking zone with his marking, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th forward and other opponents that venture into thier attacking zone don't get an opportunity.

Imo, don't bog him down with over teaching, let him play and dominate.

Lets not forget Andrews has a second skill already should he have to be moved for set up or poor form reasons.

He can go forward and kick goals to more effect than Rance and Mc Govern, I rate him highly.

I never fool myself to feel comfortable.

In the end one can only go on, not what is said but the actions taken/results!

To date there has been to many rookie mistakes by the porfessionals in our football dept, imo.

It's also been my experience that one improves by reviewing ones performance noting poor performance and working to improve same.
Always important to be porfessionals (is that a word) you say??? You put up Trump like arguments which are all bluster but have no substance. How does Harris Andrews slow down a small forward? We are one of the youngest sides in the comp and in his first season Fagan has gotten the team to play a game style that will be sustainable long term. In the past 2 years we have lost Merritt and Clarke with Frost also not panning out as planned.

Rather than being deliberately arguementative and douche like why don’t try and engage constructively.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

With Andrews dominating the oppontents attacking zone with his marking, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th forward and other opponents that venture into thier attacking zone don't get an opportunity.

Imo, don't bog him down with over teaching, let him play and dominate.

Lets not forget Andrews has a second skill already should he have to be moved for set up or poor form reasons.

He can go forward and kick goals to more effect than Rance and Mc Govern, I rate him highly.

Clearly but he's not superman. He had many games this season on pretty average key forwards and wasn't peeling off and taking heaps of intercept marks. He'll get better but he's not there yet and Hodge relieving the pressure of organising the back six will help him.

I assume you'll be applying for the next senior coaching position? We could do with some enlightened souls in the football dept.
You aren't whistling dixie there!

On results this year, they need to improve alot this year.

Clearly but he's not superman. He had many games this season on pretty average key forwards and wasn't peeling off and taking heaps of intercept marks. He'll get better but he's not there yet and Hodge relieving the pressure of organising the back six will help him.

As I stated we disagree with the way he was coached this year it is my opinion he was at the level required just needed coach and football dept to read what the team and he needed.

That is set him free, let him play don't bog him down with over coaching or an opponent, let him dominate the zone.

Ya, as stated previously you never find wisdom in emotion.

Completely genuine question - what do you feel you've gotten out of your past week on BigFooty?

Always important to be porfessionals (is that a word) you say??? You put up Trump like arguments which are all bluster but have no substance. How does Harris Andrews slow down a small forward? We are one of the youngest sides in the comp and in his first season Fagan has gotten the team to play a game style that will be sustainable long term. In the past 2 years we have lost Merritt and Clarke with Frost also not panning out as planned.

Rather than being deliberately arguementative and douche like why don’t try and engage constructively.
Andrews slows down a small forward by marking the ball and not allowing an opportunity to occur.

As I stated we disagree with the way he was coached this year it is my opinion he was at the level required just needed coach and football dept to read what the team and he needed.

That is set him free, let him play don't bog him down with over coaching or an opponent, let him dominate the zone.

Yes or no. Would you play Andrews loose every week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes or no. Would you play Andrews loose every week?
Yes, to valuable an asset he has and as I stated has the ability to hurt the opposition by going forward and kicking goals should he be having a bad week down back.

Would you play your best ball winning midfielder as a tagger?

If you answer yes to that, we are done!

Intercept marking just as important as winning the midfield stoppages one doesn't weaken either!

Last edited:

Andrews dominating the opponents attacking zone provides more opportunity for the team to play the new game plan not less.

And as stated when I'm getting attacked for a typo, I know I've won that argument.

Very emotional response to a typo?

Yes, to valuable an asset he has and as I stated has the ability to hurg the opposition by going forward and kicking should he be having a bad week down back.

Intercept marking just as important winning the midfield stoppages one doesn't weaken either!

I would expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable. How many AFL players have one task? Would it not be better to develop our back six to all be able to do defend and all of them being able to peel off an opponent to go third man up?

What if we play against Richmond with one tall forward who don't bomb it long? Do we leave Andrews out?

Yes, to valuable an asset he has and as I stated has the ability to hurt the opposition by going forward and kicking goals should he be having a bad week down back.

Intercept marking just as important as winning the midfield stoppages one doesn't weaken either!

What would happen if the opposition tagged Andrews and he was unable to intercept mark as often?

I would expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable. How many AFL players have one task? Would it not be better to develop our back six to all be able to do defend and all of them being able to peel off an opponent to go third man up?

What if we play against Richmond with one tall forward who don't bomb it long? Do we leave Andrews out?

No Andrews would not be left out.

Should a team come up with a ploy to get around Andrews (that would not be easy given his size covering a lot of space) he can go forward move Walker or Hipwood or other back and use their speed and agility in defence.

Should Andrews being having a bad day.

Don't expect that to happen to often as I rate Andrews highly.

And don't want him spoiled with over coaching.

What would happen if the opposition tagged Andrews and he was unable to intercept mark as often?
Should he get tagged and having off day, he goes forward and hurts opposition with his marking and goals.

I don't think Andrews is given enough credit for his forward play.

One shouldn't coach that out of him by making him to defence minded.

He has a rare talent it should be recognised, he is exceptional at reading the play and marking the ball.

Don't coach that out of him!

No Andrews would not be left out.

Should a team come up with a ploy to get around Andrews (that would not be easy given his size covering a lot of space) he can go forward move Walker or Hipwood or other back and use their speed and agility in defence.

Should Andrews being having a bad day.

Don't expect that to happen to often as I rate Andrews highly.

And don't want him spoiled with over coaching.

Andrews does his ACL in a few years time. Our backline which relies on his intercept marking is then under increased pressure to cope having only ever needing to focus on their own opponent. What do we do? Our 2 key defenders are concussed in the first minute; do we shift Andrews onto a key forward being the only one tall enough but he's a lowsy defender because he only ever plays loose.

Do you see how we could get ourselves into trouble by becoming too one dimensional and turning Andrews into a one dimensional defender.

Andrews does his ACL in a few years time. Our backline which relies on his intercept marking is then under increased pressure to cope having only ever needing to focus on their own opponent. What do we do? Our 2 key defenders are concussed in the first minute; do we shift Andrews onto a key forward being the only one tall enough but he's a lowsy defender because he only ever plays loose.

Do you see how we could get ourselves into trouble by becoming too one dimensional and turning Andrews into a one dimensional defender.
In those circumstances, your probably going to lose, write it off prepare for next week.

One has a squad and a Neafl side to replace like player for like player.

A well balanced squad means not changing your style of play because of injury.

Last edited:
In those circumstances, your probably going to lose, write it off prepare for next.

One has a squad and a Neafl side to replace like player for like player.

A well balanced squad means not changing your style of play because of injury.

Well balanced. Like having defenders who can defend when required and attack when required. Also, defenders who can cover in certain situations. Sounds like an interesting idea and a bit different than letting a player focus solely on one part of his game instead of developing into a gun, well rounded defender like Alex Rance.

"I would expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable. " is this meant to be...

I wouldn't expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable.

Yes must tackle if he doesn't win the ball in the first instance.

As Andrews would be expected to tackle should he not mark the ball in the first instance.

However one doesn't coach either the natural midfield ball winner or the natural intercept marker to be defensive in the first instance.

You allow them to win the ball and take pressure of their teammates.

Can I interrupt for the moment .... since this is the draft thread, was looking at footage again of Rayner and his style of play and even his kicking style and something has come to me and would be interested to see if others see this too. I think there is a lot of Chris Johnson about Cam Rayner.
Jonno was drafted as a forward/mid then went back to be a general in defence. He wasn't a great endurance runner like Cam Rayner but he overcame that with great skill, strength, evasiveness and determination. He had low centre of gravity but could take a screamer just like our number 1 pick and could kick classy goals. Jonno was a gun on and off the field for our footy club and I get a real feeling Cam Rayner is going to be of similar ilk. Thoughts ??

Thats it...that was quite a countdown actually, as it looked like he may have fallen a couple more spots.....quite exciting, mind you I was on my third pinot grigio by then,celebrating the first three picks.

Len, I think you’ve just outed yourself as being much younger than claimed.

No owner of a Gladstone bag drinks Pinot Grigio.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back