Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crozier isn't worth a second rounder. At best we get 39 from the Bulldogs. If you asked anyone if Crozier was worth the same as a contracted Wilson I reckon they'd laugh.

Plus he possibly is if a team is wanting him. Not like we're not offering him a contract. Plus the Dogs have been upbeat and spoke positively about him.

I could easily see a future 2nd getting it done but agree pick 39 would be most likely. Also depends on Stringer or other deals to see how we may be able to move around our draft picks.

I think Matera and Wilson are done with each club already in isolation.

I'll say pick 55 for Matera. Future 2nd for Wilson.

Another article linking us to Hayes.
Hmmmm.
Only a couple of months ago he was my preferred option but I got cold feet fast. Just hate talls with early picks.
Logically it does make sense. A ruck forward is what we've been craving... why not draft the best young one out there.

Just out of curiosity, who genuinely believes we have a chance getting Hogan? Not a slight chance, but an actual 50/50 chance? Personally, 0% chance.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm at 0% myself.
Why are we working to facilitate a trade to Balic’s club of choice and not to the highest bidder in Melbourne, given that getting back to Melb was ostensibly his only concern? I realise there may be not be other takers but it struck me as odd.
That is what happens with 99% of players. Cam was homesick but he didn't entertain WC. It is the same thing.
Thanks for the feedback, both fair points. My only concerns are:

1. Isn't 2018 the Super draft (TM)? While the talent distribution can certainly be deeper in some pools compared to others, I think it's likely that next year's second round will be better rated than this year's, seeing as how some draft analysts think this year's top players wouldn't crack next year's top 10. Why take yourselves out of that if you don't have to?

2. Sure, top 5 picks are always at a premium. However if I look at the poll above, it sounds like KPF is your biggest need. Have you been linked to any in FA? (besides the pipe dream of getting Hogan this year). If your management takes the draft route instead, it should be noted that this year's top 10 may not include a single tall. I've seen some people barracking for Naughton or Brander to Freo at #5. Both of them should still be available at #12.
1. I think the chances that our 2nd rounder next year is better than Wilson is low. Of course he might be Fyfe mk2 or he could be a spud.

2. KPF is no1 priority but it is not like the rest of our team is stacked. We have holes everywhere. The only position we could scrape by without adding players is KPD and even then we just delisted our backup in Collins so you could reasonably argue we need 1 of them too. We just take best available at 5 as there seems a distinct pointy end to this draft.

Hmmmm.
Only a couple of months ago he was my preferred option but I got cold feet fast. Just hate talls with early picks.
Logically it does make sense. A ruck forward is what we've been craving... why not draft the best young one out there.
Usually the noise this far out is just that. Of course, it wouldn't be completely surprising to find out we rate him.

Imagine us passing on him and having him turn out light Lynch, Wright or Brown though. This board would blow its top!

Usually the noise this far out is just that. Of course, it wouldn't be completely surprising to find out we rate him.

Imagine us passing on him and having him turn out light Lynch, Wright or Brown though. This board would blow its top!

Him and Darcy pairing up for next 10 years makes sense.

Still rather contract Taberner and forego Hayes.

Darcy and Hayes makes a lot of sense, but I too think there are better options at pick 5.

Well it all comes down to squad balance. If we're light on a ruck/forward Hayes is best bet and fills that need and is young blah blah.
Huge gamble but I guess that's what you need to be a genuine contender in a few years.
If Hayes can develop into a force? Well our window opens around 2021.

Does the delisting of Collins & Uebergang indicate a confidence in Alex Pearce's potential to return to full fitness?

Well it all comes down to squad balance. If we're light on a ruck/forward Hayes is best bet and fills that need and is young blah blah.
Huge gamble but I guess that's what you need to be a genuine contender in a few years.
If Hayes can develop into a force? Well our window opens around 2021.

I'd prefer to go a mid or small forward and contest earlier. I'm sure the club would too and especially Lyon.

If we get Matera and Wilson without losing much quality, then our list will be the strongest that's it's arguably ever been. And based on other lists including the premiers, our list will be in the right age profile to contest in the next 1 - 3 years.

Does the delisting of Collins & Uebergang indicate a confidence in Alex Pearce's potential to return to full fitness?

I think it indicates that we don't think Collins is AFL quality and that Uebers hamstring is shot and they were taking up valuable list spots. Apeness is the only other one in the same category but I think we're waiting to see what Tabs does before making a call on him. If Tabs stays expect to see Ape delisted prior to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we working to facilitate a trade to Balic’s club of choice and not to the highest bidder in Melbourne, given that getting back to Melb was ostensibly his only concern? I realise there may be not be other takers but it struck me as odd.
The main board suggests that Balic is doing the right thing by the club to get us the best deal possible. If you believe the talk North offered us some junk pick around 70 but Melbourne are offering something more acceptable, so Balic is agreeing to go there. He did say from the beginning that he would like to go back to Victoria, IF we can make it happen. We won't get what he is worth, but we have benefited from that type of scenario ourselves on occasion.

I think it indicates that we don't think Collins is AFL quality and that Uebers hamstring is shot and they were taking up valuable list spots. Apeness is the only other one in the same category but I think we're waiting to see what Tabs does before making a call on him. If Tabs stays expect to see Ape delisted prior to the draft.
I thought Apeness was contracted for next year?

I'd prefer to go a mid or small forward and contest earlier. I'm sure the club would too and especially Lyon.

If we get Matera and Wilson without losing much quality, then our list will be the strongest that's it's arguably ever been. And based on other lists including the premiers, our list will be in the right age profile to contest in the next 1 - 3 years.
I know we had a lot of foot soldiers in 2013 but we also had a brilliant contested midfield and excellent spine (bar 2nd KPF) - not unlike Richmond this year.

We need to sort that out before we can seriously contend IMO. That may happen with players on the list already but I suspect there is at least 2-3 more significant pieces to come from draft/trade.

Apeness is CONTRACTED for next year. He won't be delisted regardless if Taberner stays on, Lobb walks into our team and we draft Hayes. Apeness is going NOWHERE. 100% not going anywhere for 2018 is Apeness, why don't people get this?

Hmmmm.
Mainly because De Konning impressed me more than Hayes did in the championships. Not that I have the ability to project forward to what they will become in the future. That's for the pro's

I know we had a lot of foot soldiers in 2013 but we also had a brilliant contested midfield and excellent spine (bar 2nd KPF) - not unlike Richmond this year.

We need to sort that out before we can seriously contend IMO. That may happen with players on the list already but I suspect there is at least 2-3 more significant pieces to come from draft/trade.

Agree.

2013 spine was basically McPharlin, Johnson, Sandi, Pav and Clarke/Taberner/Mayne. The first 4 were pretty special when fully fit.

Now we have Hamling, youngster, Sandi/Darcy, no one and McCarthy/Taberner/Kersten

That's a massive drop off in key areas.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking we're close and let's stop comparing to Tigers who just had a very bad 2016.

We're in proper rebuild mode. But I think we can aim for finals for 2018... sure. I still don't think we'll get there. Mundy, Spurr, Johnson, Sandi and Ballas will all be gone after next year. At their best those 5 were also special and some AAs in there.

There's no club that doesn't do this though.

Regardless of the situation the player 9.5 times out of 10 get to the team they want regardless of the situation. Look at Jaeger last year and the Paddy Ryder situation a few years ago.

Balic is a small fish so there is literally nothing to gain by holding out and saying that we will only deal with the club giving us the best deal. We'll just piss off a player manager that we will more than likely have to deal with later in trade week.

I'm not really buying into the Hayes talk from the media. Unless the plan is for him to play primarily forward which is a risky prospect in itself then I don't see the club overrating the ruck role and the need for it that highly - especially when we just uncovered Darcy and the game's evolving.

The main board suggests that Balic is doing the right thing by the club to get us the best deal possible. If you believe the talk North offered us some junk pick around 70 but Melbourne are offering something more acceptable, so Balic is agreeing to go there. He did say from the beginning that he would like to go back to Victoria, IF we can make it happen. We won't get what he is worth, but we have benefited from that type of scenario ourselves on occasion.

Haha stop being so sensible. This is trade period damnit!!

What about that Hogan character eh!!?!?

Thank you apuchar. That is very helpful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

Back