Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If GWS want more - then 26 and 58 for Wilson and 63. Values him at 24.

Leaves us with:
Out: Balic, Crozier, 55, 58
In: Wilson, Matera, 63, 64

We take 5, 40, 63, 64 to the draft.
The 'values him at' literally means nothing in reality though. Only relevant for academy and father sons

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

45 and 64 (chump change really) values him at 39. I think a lot of us would be happier to get something in the 30s than 40+, so we could try to get their 64 from them too. Late picks are often useful if you want to do a bunch of pick swaps right at the end of trading.

And if the Bulldogs value Crozier highly enough to offer him 3 years, then I reckon we demand their 26 from them.

26 to GWS for Wilson.

55 to GCS for Matera.
Nice idea, but I think this way over values freo players and/or under values opposition players

The 'values him at' literally means nothing in reality though. Only relevant for academy and father sons

You're probably right, but when clubs are haggling over picks they don't actually have to be able to make the trade, I bet they refer to it, to show 'equivalency' of some sort. "If we chuck in pick 50, we're upping the point value to pick 25 - that's way overs, you'd be mad not to take it."

45 and 64 (chump change really) values him at 39. I think a lot of us would be happier to get something in the 30s than 40+, so we could try to get their 64 from them too. Late picks are often useful if you want to do a bunch of pick swaps right at the end of trading.

And if the Bulldogs value Crozier highly enough to offer him 3 years, then I reckon we demand their 26 from them.

26 to GWS for Wilson.

55 to GCS for Matera.

46 and 65. Trengove compo... although it sounds like Port may pursue some FA's themselves, so this could cancel itself out.

Nice idea, but I think this way over values freo players and/or under values opposition players

Not really. We had a contract in front of him before Bulldogs (The only club outside of us interested in his services) - if we offer him 2 years and they offer him 3 years then they REALLY think he's a required player for their team, more than us anyways. It's why I think Crozier for 26 is fair. We want to keep him, but if they want him more then pay up. Still a good chance Crozier goes nowhere.

I don't think "39" for Balic is overs - huge upside, only 20. Will settle once he's back home and have a 10 year career in front of him.

A 3 year offer is significant to Crozier - means they rate him, just how much are they prepared to pay, 26 is probably overs, you're right, I agree, but their next is 39 and after that 80, and that is unders IMO. Depends what they get for Stringer - if they get a sub-20 pick, they might be prepared to deal their 26. Or a couple of picks, they might package up a couple for Croz.

It's been said all along that a pick in the 20s should satisfy GWS, but unless they're trading with Carlton, they're generally arsehats to deal with, esp when it comes to Freo, unless they've learnt their lesson. If they want to gather points for their academy players for next year as is the other talk re GWS, they might just take our next year's 2nd, nice and clean.

I read the the most likely pick for Matera is again just a straight swap for 55, but in reality, it's most likely 40, which is a bit sucky, because the pick cupboard is pretty bare after 5, through to 40+.

b4af69f69584e4778c39a26cf815c5ba.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 and 65. Trengove compo... although it sounds like Port may pursue some FA's themselves, so this could cancel itself out.
The AFL has already confirmed no compo for Port. The reason is that the salary cap space spared by losing Trengove has enabled them to collect Rockliff and possibility Motlop.

There will be compo for Brisbane, Pick 18 (Rockliff) and Geelong, Pick 35 (Motlop). This means that our pick 40 becomes 42. Also means that Melbourne's pick 45 becomes 47.

I would be comfortable with pick 47 for Balic. I would then use that pick with Crozier and other pick swaps to upgrade to pick 26 (which will becomes 27).

Colin Young says the deals in Principle for Matera and Wilson are verbally agreed to mean they are likely existing picks of Fremantle or a player swap.

For Matera this could be pick 40 (ie 42) or 55 (ie 57) or Sutcliffe swap. For Wilson as we don't have a 2017 second rd pick I believe it to be our 2018 2nd rd pick.

I'd be comfortable if they tapped out there (maybe add Menzel on no more than 2-year contract as FA later in the trade period).

We then go to draft with 5, 27, 42/57, 60...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wilson and gws 63 for 40,55,58 *** matera and pick 37 for FD 2018 2nd rounder
Crozier and gws pick 63 to BDogs for pick 26 *** balic 45 or (2018 3rd rounder) ?? ** suban?? (48)

picks 2017 5, 40, 55, 58,77 now become 5, 26, 37,77 48?
picks 2018 5,23,41,59,77 now becomes 5, 41, 59, 77 45?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, who genuinely believes we have a chance getting Hogan? Not a slight chance, but an actual 50/50 chance? Personally, 0% chance.

2017: 0%
2018: 0%
2019: 50%

My reason? The arguments for him returning home are extremely overrated (And not to be disrespectful to Jesse) by the public eye and aren't as big a factor as people are making them out to be.

I expect him to extend sometime in 2019 because the media click bait links will be at an all time high by then and the Sheahans' / Dogdorns' will be smacking their filthy chops by then.

I’ll have a crack. Don’t usually try to guess trades, but hey, why not!

Out: 2018 second (approx 20-25)
In: Wilson + GWS 63

Out: 2018 third (approx 38-43)
In: Matera + GCS 2018 forth (approx 55-60)

Wilson is worth a second pick and GWS won’t use pick 63 anyway.

Gold Coast have 6 picks inside top 37 this year. Would have suggested we trade our pick 40 or 55 for him, but will they even use that? They could opt for the pick upgrade next year instead. Works out to about 250pts (~pick 50ish).

Overall
Out: 2018 second & third round
In: Wilson, Matera, pick 63, 2018 forth round

Leave this draft with: 5, 40, 55, 58, 63 for now. Could look for pick upgrades with Croz and Tabs (if they leave).

Make it happen Lloyd/Bond

Post our delistings and seeing Naughton’s combine results, I’m back on board with him at pick 5. No go home factor and reckon he could turn into a McGovern like figure (roughly the same height and may be still growing). Strong mark and ability to create and distribute as well (the anti Dawson if you will).

He came 6th in the agility test and 3rd= in the yo-yo (New beep test). Exceptional for a tall. Also jagged a second in goal kicking (his kick needs more of those 10,000 hours he’ll get as a pro).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

Back