List Mgmt. 2017 Free Agency & Trading - Part 2 (Take Gibbs talk to the Gibbs thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only real risk is ending up with a list clogger who takes up a list position without ever threatening to be selected in the senior team.
Risk of that is very slim though. He has talent.

Risk of that is very slim though. He has talent.
No team is going to select him if his defensive work is anywhere near as bad as NikkiNoo says it is. I trust her judgement, and her view is supported by his on-going failure to gain AFL selection. That said, his horrendous kicking in the JLT series probably hasn't helped his cause either.

There's more to being an AFL footballer than just the ability to get one's hands on the pill.

I've watched him closely in the SANFL, and while he racks up possessions and is reasonably skilled, his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired, which is very odd for someone who played in defense as a junior. He can do it at times, but other times he wants his teammates to cover his player because it appeared he couldn't be bothered to chase. That is a non-negotiable if you want to play AFL midfield for the Crows. Other teams would overlook that, but not us.
I don't think so, playing down back is veeery different to being a hard-working, two-way running and accountable midfielder - both in skill set and the amount of physical effort required.

especially when my understanding is he played more of a Laird/Smith role than a Brown one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you heard this?

Would like him for the right price (2nd rounder, probably)

You wouldnt give more than that for Hall? The only reason I wouldnt jump on him with our first is because he is not really a need. But there is probably a case for Hall instead of Gibbs imo. I think Hall is one of the very few really good ones at the GCS.

Not from anywhere creditable. Some friends from Queensland suggested he has been linked with a move here.

I did hear last week that Gold Coast have informed half of their list they are on the trade table. Not sure if that would include him.
From a purely athletic standpoint he'd fit Pyke's rumoured recruitment requirements, attitude and work ethic might be the sticking point.

From a purely athletic standpoint he'd fit Pyke's rumoured recruitment requirements, attitude and work ethic might be the sticking point.

His attitude looks ok from a statistical point of view. In the last 8 games GCSs basically tanked and lost all games. Yet Hall still racked up disposals including 40 touches against Richmond in R19. Unfortunately the suns were so shit to watch I have no idea if any of those touches were any good :)

You wouldnt give more than that for Hall? The only reason I wouldnt jump on him with our first is because he is not really a need. But there is probably a case for Hall instead of Gibbs imo. I think Hall is one of the very few really good ones at the GCS.
To be fair, a mid 2nd is probably fair instead of our mid 30's pick.

Work ethic is my sticking point. Doesn't work hard defensively. When on, his offensive efforts are match winning, and he'd probably do wonders playing the Atkins role, but you'd need to surround him with tackling, pressuring outside mids.

To be fair, a mid 2nd is probably fair instead of our mid 30's pick.

Work ethic is my sticking point. Doesn't work hard defensively. When on, his offensive efforts are match winning, and he'd probably do wonders playing the Atkins role, but you'd need to surround him with tackling, pressuring outside mids.

Possibly true. But he seems to be a better user of the ball than Gibbs in my opinion. Its that contested possessions that I like about Gibbs that he combines with excellent ball use. But a 29 year old vs a 26 year old. You would have to seriously ask the question do we use pick 17 on Gibbs or Hall. I think ideally, I would like to see Salem as part of the Lever trade and if we did that then I don't think Hall is not the way to go. In that case, I would prefer Salem + Gibbs. But if we are only getting picks for Lever then Hall is a very interesting option imo. When is Gibbs going to start his decline and how fast is it going to happen is also a concern.

I can't believe stringer is potentially going for a pick 15-25 and $550k per annum. Bombers or Cats. According to talking footy.

That's ridiculous. The guy is 23 still - so much talent. This is like Dustin Martin a few years ago when no one wanted a bar of him.

Bookmark it. Stringer will get his shit together and win a Coleman one day.

I can't believe stringer is potentially going for a pick 15-25 and $550k per annum. Bombers or Cats. According to talking footy.

That's ridiculous. The guy is 23 still - so much talent. This is like Dustin Martin a few years ago when no one wanted a bar of him.

Bookmark it. Stringer will get his shit together and win a Coleman one day.
Big risk if he has a habit to kick though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back