List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy is worth pick 7-12 or so. We payed pick 2 for him.
He's worth more than 12
Out of this list from 2014 who would you have ahead of him?
1 Patrick McCartin
2 Christian Petracca
3 Angus Brayshaw
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Jordan De Goey
6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright Gold Coast
9 Darcy Moore
10 Nakia Cockatoo
11 Liam Duggan
12 Corey Ellis?

Would have been okay at 5 - would have gulped at 4 but ended up forcibly gagging on 2
But that's our reality in the cold harsh light of day
Is a Weller worth 7-12 on the open market actually worth closer to 2 for us?
Sadly.Probably
There's a dialogue that's been perpetuated about not being a "destination club"
But really our only talent drain has been an injured O'Cockface Dixhead and Prestia
You can't really count Ablett and Saad
And that's over 7 years
You just don't hear the same stuff about GWS because they've been winning
But now their draft "Rivers of Gold" have stopped running they'll want to win something in the next couple of years because after that it will get ugly I predict
I've spent 8 years moaning about people posting "At least we get some good draft picks"
As I've said I don't really have a huge issue about pick 2 for Weller because of the circumstances - it was just how it came about and the negative perceptions of the Club it has generated.
I'm not saying the guy is awful, just his current talent level isn't worth pick 2 level. We obviously have to overpay to get players here but that is an overpay in the hope that one day he may get to a level of justifying what we payed. We are basically removing all the spotlight from Ablett and dumping it on a 21 year old guy and saying "I hope you can carry this club". We've overpayed for potential then dumped a massive amount of pressure on him, he may reach that level but that is a massive amount to put on such a young player.

Would have been okay at 5 - would have gulped at 4 but ended up forcibly gagging on 2
But that's our reality in the cold harsh light of day
Is a Weller worth 7-12 on the open market actually worth closer to 2 for us?
Sadly.Probably
There's a dialogue that's been perpetuated about not being a "destination club"
But really our only talent drain has been an injured O'Cockface Dixhead and Prestia
You can't really count Ablett and Saad
And that's over 7 years
You just don't hear the same stuff about GWS because they've been winning
But now their draft "Rivers of Gold" have stopped running they'll want to win something in the next couple of years because after that it will get ugly I predict
I've spent 8 years moaning about people posting "At least we get some good draft picks"
As I've said I don't really have a huge issue about pick 2 for Weller because of the circumstances - it was just how it came about and the negative perceptions of the Club it has generated.
And a lot of the problems stem from putting soo many resources into a little narcissist who was only here for the money and had no genuine connection or interest in the GCFC.
Weller is the opposite of the above.

Last edited:

Further my Dads family are all from Fremantle. One of my cousins knows one of the fitness staff. He said Weller is the best runner and pound for pound has the most power /strength at the Club. They fully expected him to become a midfield beast. That's why they were trying to lock him in for 4 years. Lyon was gutted apparently and pissed that's why they wouldn't accept anything but a top 4 and Lyon detailed that to the FFC board who accepted that and signed off on it.
And forgot to mention they consider him the best field kick at the Club. And he has been played out of position at half back doing the Ross Lyon defence education.
Will get 30+ in the midfield bank it in.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the guy is awful, just his current talent level isn't worth pick 2 level. We obviously have to overpay to get players here but that is an overpay in the hope that one day he may get to a level of justifying what we payed. We are basically removing all the spotlight from Ablett and dumping it on a 21 year old guy and saying "I hope you can carry this club". We've overpayed for potential then dumped a massive amount of pressure on him, he may reach that level but that is a massive amount to put on such a young player.
For f...' sake you need to move past this loss of pick 2 - it is only another number in a chook raffle !
I see heaps of value in recruiting Weller - he'll become our face of marketing, is a local football community and Academy product and can play OK with 3 years senior Afl experience.
Unfortunately the chook raffle winner would have none of the former and take years to provide the latter.
There is huge commercial value in the Weller trade- Evans and the AFL know this - it isn't always about the footballer..
(Edit: Fair to say Fremantle recognised this too.)

Last edited:
Yes, what's done is done. Had to overpay b/c of the situation we where in. Patience is much less of an option for us atm. Need to start winning games.

Besides, a pick is a pick. Once picks are used, it does not matter which pick only what each draft class provided.

Got to keep drafting players who make your best 22 better or you drop down the ladder. Got to draft a few guns or you won't move up the ladder either. Pick 2 gives you a higher chance the player will make you better, but a chance is all it gives you.

If we get a good player at pick 19, and Crossley keeps developing, this draft class will be fine.

So no pressure Clayt's. Just pick a good player at 19.

Hello - hope you are OK with a visitor.

I have drawn Suns in the WCE mock and wanted some input.

Suns have picks 19, 41, 50, 54 and 76 for a total of 1,853 points. so it will be your lightest draft yet,

In academy picks, the only must have that I see is Crossley but do not expect him to be taken before pick 19 which means it will require the 41 or 50 picks (41 fully covers any pick after 35 once the points requirements are discounted).

Question - are there any of the other academy kids that you would definitely want drafted? Nutting, Bowie, Dawson etc? If so, what range?

Also happy to know if there are any particular needs that you want addressed in the draft. Particularly for pick 19. Tall or mid?

Further my Dads family are all from Fremantle. One of my cousins knows one of the fitness staff. He said Weller is the best runner and pound for pound has the most power /strength at the Club. They fully expected him to become a midfield beast. That's why they were trying to lock him in for 4 years. Lyon was gutted apparently and pissed that's why they wouldn't accept anything but a top 4 and Lyon detailed that to the FFC board who accepted that and signed off on it.
And forgot to mention they consider him the best field kick at the Club. And he has been played out of position at half back doing the Ross Lyon defence education.
Will get 30+ in the midfield bank it in.
Delicious :)

So who should be around the mark at #19 that we should target?
Would think Worpel is best available. Could pick up Cassidy Parish with one of our later picks. averaged something like high 20 disposals and made it into Falcons best 15 times out of 18 games but didn't cop an invite to either state or national combine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand where all the talk of 'better Lachie Weller than a player who potentially will want to leave in 2 years time'. Besides Caddy, have we had ANY draftee request a trade after their initial 2 year deal?

I like Garner, Vic metro Captain. Need more leaders at the club.

From one of the mock drafts:
Gold Coast - Joel Garner //General forward/outside midfield – The GC need some flair and class, if one of the really top end midfielders is still available they should pounce, but if not Garner is the man. Adds a bit of something different, and to be honest they already have A LOT of young midfield talent from the past 2 drafts (and this year’s trade period) go for something special suns.

Interestingly I spoke to one of the players and he said they have driven the push to get experienced players in, as they experienced burn out (and injuries) when we had a young midfield in our inaugural years.

Having a look at our best 22 / fringe Mids it
Backs it up:
Barlow - 138 games
Bowes - 11 games
Brodie - 3 games
Fiorini - 15 games
Hall - 97 games
Lonergan - 55 games
Lyons - 73 games
Martin - 66 games
Miller - 60 games
Rischa - 200+ games
Swallow - 97 games
Average: 75 games

The club is trying to improve its run and midfield rotations and Weller (47 games) allows this, while a rookie like LDU or Rayner who may improve the list quality overall won't allow it. After every single loss us fans complain we have to many flashy players and not enough hard workers. We don't need a 15-18 touches a Game half forward rookie (which is what any of the top 3-4 will do for a couple of years) and we need a quality 2 way runner and ball user. Yes the club had to overpay but we got our man and Will be better for it.

What we need is someone who touches the ball 30+ times a game given we've just lost a GOAT in terms of avg disposals
Fiorini is certainly in that ball park
Not sure Dave Swallow plays there
Weller might
Hall occasionally during contract negotiation time
Other posters may have views on ball magnets in our team

I don't understand where all the talk of 'better Lachie Weller than a player who potentially will want to leave in 2 years time'. Besides Caddy, have we had ANY draftee request a trade after their initial 2 year deal?
I think its more having a long term quality player to make immediate impact over an A grade kid that needs 3-4 years to develop. As said on another post all the players and supporters need is a bit of belief and if they start 2018 with a few wins who knows how much they can improve under Dew

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interestingly I spoke to one of the players and he said they have driven the push to get experienced players in, as they experienced burn out (and injuries) when we had a young midfield in our inaugural years.

Having a look at our best 22 / fringe Mids it
Backs it up:
Barlow - 138 games
Bowes - 11 games
Brodie - 3 games
Fiorini - 15 games
Hall - 97 games
Lonergan - 55 games
Lyons - 73 games
Martin - 66 games
Miller - 60 games
Rischa - 200+ games
Swallow - 97 games
Average: 75 games

The club is trying to improve its run and midfield rotations and Weller (47 games) allows this, while a rookie like LDU or Rayner who may improve the list quality overall won't allow it. After every single loss us fans complain we have to many flashy players and not enough hard workers. We don't need a 15-18 touches a Game half forward rookie (which is what any of the top 3-4 will do for a couple of years) and we need a quality 2 way runner and ball user. Yes the club had to overpay but we got our man and Will be better for it.
Well he's a quality two way runner and ball user in spades.

Keefe may be someone we may look to rookie list being a QLD local, would provide some decent coverage for a tall defender spot, replacing Brooksby.
There would be a few I’d add just for experience. Who knows whether they go down the experience route or the qld route or even the second tier big bodied route

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back