List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

No, have to draft a minimum of 3.. it’s been like that for as long as I can remember

I am pretty sure that upgrading a rookie to the senior list counts as a draft pick.
And so it does count as one of your 3 picks.

Have a look at the Hawks draft from 2016. Pretty sure they only drafted 2 players.

No, have to draft a minimum of 3.. it’s been like that for as long as I can remember

Here we go boys....this might straighten it out...

6.2 Procedure for National Draft Selection Meeting
(d) Number of Draft Selections
(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 0, 10.11(b), 12.4(b), 13.4(b) and 14.4(d)); and
(B) no Club may exercise more than 3 Draft selections if the consequence would be that it would exceed the number of Players which it is entitled to include on its Primary List pursuant to these Rules.

10.11 Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List

(b) Primary List
A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:
(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.

Last edited:
Wonder who is going to give Liam Ryan a go this year. I thought we would look at him last year with a later pick after his 40 odd goals in his first season of WAFL footy. Backed it up with 70 this year will be a star for someone if he stays off the booze

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would say if he can kick 70 and also loves a drink then he should be looked at even more closely, that should be part of the combine attributes

I would say if he can kick 70 and also loves a drink then he should be looked at even more closely, that should be part of the combine attributes
Exactly l'm sick of hearing about beep tests etc.
How about football skills like reading the play and instincts. No tests for that.
I'm sure Joel Wilkinson blitzed that combine rubbish.

Wonder who is going to give Liam Ryan a go this year. I thought we would look at him last year with a later pick after his 40 odd goals in his first season of WAFL footy. Backed it up with 70 this year will be a star for someone if he stays off the booze

Port apparently is the word

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well hopefully we pick up a few handy DFA'S. At least for injury cover. I think Dew was given the opportunity to chop primus and Lovell but either wanted to give them the benefit of doubt or couldn't find any replacements on short notice. 1 year contract spells warning to those coaches. Finally rumours are McCartney will take ashcrofts job if true this is great news a bloke that knows the industry and knows about the troubles of life the man IS resilience.

Worth remembering that Dew and Primus played 10 years together at Port Adelaide, including Matty being Captain for 3 years, then later an assistant coach in Stu's final year at Port in 2006. Dew has tremendous respect for Primus and both learned under Mark Williams, who also mentored Alastair Clarkson.
As for Lovell, I think his popularity with players makes him a vital mentor in the transition process. He will help Stu get into the minds of the playing group and ensure the new coach can succeed in making the right connection with individuals, something that you never really saw Eade do.

No defensive pressure at all. His game would be tough to translate to AFL level but I highly rate his talent.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

It all comes down to Crossley. #19 seems destined for BPA (best player available) which is impossible to accurately predict. If the Suns can pinch Crossley for a pick in the 50s, then going for a smoky at #40 will be an interesting gamble. The Draft lists are all dominated by Victorian players, which mean seeing Top 10 players slide to #19 if clubs pick local players with priority. Tim English was in the Top 10 conversation last year and amazingly fell to the Bulldogs at #19. Given that there are 9 Interstate outside of Vic) draft picks before #19, you'd think that some serious talent will still remain after 18 selections.

It all comes down to Crossley. #19 seems destined for BPA (best player available) which is impossible to accurately predict. If the Suns can pinch Crossley for a pick in the 50s, then going for a smoky at #40 will be an interesting gamble. The Draft lists are all dominated by Victorian players, which mean seeing Top 10 players slide to #19 if clubs pick local players with priority. Tim English was in the Top 10 conversation last year and amazingly fell to the Bulldogs at #19. Given that there are 9 Interstate outside of Vic) draft picks before #19, you'd think that some serious talent will still remain after 18 selections.
9? Not outside Victoria.
Maybe you mean outside Melbourne. . Or do you count Carlton (GWS South)

9? Not outside Victoria.
Maybe you mean outside Melbourne. . Or do you count Carlton (GWS South)
There are 9 picks belonging to non-Victorian clubs before pick #19. Not 9 clubs.

My point is that Freo and WC are likely to target WA based players, Port and Adelaide SA players, and so on.

The Lions have 3 picks before the Suns, which may leave Crossley vulnerable to an early bid given geography.

There are 9 picks belonging to non-Victorian clubs before pick #19. Not 9 clubs.

My point is that Freo and WC are likely to target WA based players, Port and Adelaide SA players, and so on.

The Lions have 3 picks before the Suns, which may leave Crossley vulnerable to an early bid given geography.
They are worried about Ballanden getting a bid as well. I would be surprised is Crossley gets a bid before 30.

They are worried about Ballanden getting a bid as well. I would be surprised is Crossley gets a bid before 30.
Me too. In fact, Crossley hasn't figured in many top 50 projections. However, the Lions haven't got anything to lose by making us pay for Crossley with #19 if someone has already bid on Ballanden and made them move up. Best for us if Ballenden slid like Bowes did for us.

Surely it's counter productive for qld teams to bid on each other's academy players. If a tit-for-tat scenario started happening that would just be dumb dumb dumb

Both QLD teams should focus on best available non-academy and match when the bid comes from down south, thus getting local talent on the cheap hopefully

Oh i see... yep fair point..
No way Crossley gets bid on before 19 and especially by Brisbane..
But a good Victorian may slide based on your point that interstate clubs may pick home grown players. Heres hoping Higgins drops to us in that scenario..

The question is, where does Crossley sit in terms of draft order and desirability? As an undersized ruckman he's not exactly the player-type in demand, although he's got 10kg on Ballanden and is being compared with Shane Mumford. He's been getting NEAFL time too, although I haven't seen him in action, but as a key position prospect he could be that shutdown FB we've been looking for to compliment May.

Surely it's counter productive for qld teams to bid on each other's academy players. If a tit-for-tat scenario started happening that would just be dumb dumb dumb

Both QLD teams should focus on best available non-academy and match when the bid comes from down south, thus getting local talent on the cheap hopefully
It would be counter-productive to ignore each other's Academy Players given the go-home factor is still affecting both clubs. It's the tit for tat that would be counter-productive, but despite poaching players from each other's lists and academies, relations don't seem to be affected. I think we should also be looking to pinch players from GWS and Swans Academies because they produce quality players in quantities that their teams can't always keep up with and Sydney is much closer than some parts of Queensland and NT that the Suns zone covers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back