List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Crossley is unlikely to make it as a Ruck IMO. He needs to build a tank and become a forward. Unlikely to be a back as he’s too slow.

Probably needs to make it as a 2nd ruck who can play forward

Would be great if our other ruck was also decent up forward like a Nic Nat or Ryder but unfortunately Witts is a good ruck and not much chop up forward.

Wright and Crossley could be a good combo if something happens to Witts

Worth remembering that Dew and Primus played 10 years together at Port Adelaide, including Matty being Captain for 3 years, then later an assistant coach in Stu's final year at Port in 2006. Dew has tremendous respect for Primus and both learned under Mark Williams, who also mentored Alastair Clarkson.
As for Lovell, I think his popularity with players makes him a vital mentor in the transition process. He will help Stu get into the minds of the playing group and ensure the new coach can succeed in making the right connection with individuals, something that you never really saw Eade do.
Perfect intel, also the assistants will be told in June halfway through the season if they are going to be kept in 2018 and beyond something that wasn't able to be done this year

Last edited:
Keep an eye on our delistings.
We actually don't have many open senior list spots so assume we will only use 3 picks.

Crossley is a yes. Will match a bid. If not bid before 41, assume we will take Crossley at 50.
Others would be rookies. Doubt we will have the senior list spots but we have a ton of rookie slots.

At pick 19?
We still have a very young list, and there are few guarantees with young players. So anyone good.

My order of preference would be:
(1) big bodied inside mid (some posters here like Worpel but he kicks worse than me so its a no from me)
(2) a running medium forward type (Oscar Allen if he is still there; we love those WA boys)
(3) a draft slider of any type
For what it is worth, I took Nathan Murphy for you. I see him as a high reward option. A 188 utility who has just decided on AFL over Cricket. Comes from Brighton Grammar hence delayed in the year playing for Sandringham Dragons and finished the year brilliantly. Will fit in brilliantly in resting forward or playing 3rd tall forward with some midfield rotations.

here is the link - post 115
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eagles-board-2017-mock-draft.1180562/page-5

Yeah I'm leaning towards either Nathan Murphy or Oscar Allen at pick 19. Hoping Brandon Starcevich lasts til pick 40 as I think he's very underrated. Explosive, big body contested player with great skills. I would even bite at 19 for him.

Just read an arrival saying that A. swallow to us will most likely get done as a DFA and oddly Lindsey Thomas is likely to be in a port Guernsey next season.

If we can pick mullet or Wellingham up that would be helpful, also linked to Hansen and Keefe but unlikely to happen

Mullett worth a look
Wellingham is a spud
Hansens done
Keefe...not required

Dont get desperate, get leaders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my view if swalllow is brought in then it's over for risca unless one of them ( or both ) are on minimum contracts with the understanding that a lot of the year will be played in the NEAFL.

Personally I think the game has gone past both at AFL level but leadership with training and preparation standards and teaching the young fellas in the NEAfl is worthwhile.

And there's a reason why Players like mullet were delisted. 0 trade value. My view is don't get too wrapped up in the DFA's and let's back Dew to get the likes of Mckenzie up and going as given list spots as they are it's either Mullet or Mackenzie

For what it is worth, I took Nathan Murphy for you. I see him as a high reward option. A 188 utility who has just decided on AFL over Cricket. Comes from Brighton Grammar hence delayed in the year playing for Sandringham Dragons and finished the year brilliantly. Will fit in brilliantly in resting forward or playing 3rd tall forward with some midfield rotations.

here is the link - post 115
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eagles-board-2017-mock-draft.1180562/page-5

Yes, would think Murphy would be a good fit as a 3rd tall option. Athletic, tall enough, lots of room to improve.
Importantly, also likes surfing and golf.

How will we get Crossley?
Match whoever bids on him, or take with final live pick. pretty black and white, good chance will be late pick as other clubs have habit of letting academy players slide because they assume we'll match anyway. - See Scheer last year, many rated potential late first/early second (Champion Data had him above Brodie) we got him in the 60s?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back