2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Freo going backwards next year? Even with an easier fixture than last year and a fit Fyfe, Bennell, Sandilands, Johnson and new recruits of B Hill, Hamling, McCarthy and Kersten?
Fyfe is a good player yes. Bennell? Cmon now he hasn't played in ages. Sandilands.....good tap but ruck man are more athletic and will get found out. Johnson yeah age is coming on. Hill if he comes back to 2013 form good if current form he struggles. Hamlin yeah wouldn't have played if it weren't for injuries, also had a good supporting cast, McCarthy hasn't played in a while who knows how he will go. Kersten couldn't get back into a geelong team that needed height.....so 50/50.

premiers- GWS.

top 4- GWS, bulldogs, cats, swans.

improvers- suns, dockers, demons, saints.

sliders- kangaroos, hawks, power.

spoon contention- lions:(, blues, pies.

hey I just caught the drift and well it might anger some but I am surmising the record of the future.

not playing anything but well tracking slowly will encourage one thing or another.

can't agree with all the nobs who wallow in one thing or another but strange things happen..

It's a guess but my thoughts:-
1. Bulldogs-the team is young and players will benefit physically from the off season. Other clubs will be after them though.
2. Crows- Ordinary end to the season but they are awesome when on song and Pike sèems like a winner to me.
3. GWS coukdn't leave us out and dont pretend to be objective. Wont be the scope for physical development this off season, but the guys will be harder and the club as a whole more experienced.
4.Swans- I think barring disastrous injuries we'll be on top of them wherever the clubs finish but with young talent and a system that deserves respect, not by much.
5. West Coast- with their end of season form you'd have to say they underformed earlier in the season and could be higher or lower depending how you read that.
6. Hawthorn- Hard to rate but unlikely to collapse I would think. Next year might be telling as to where they'll be for the next 5 though.
7. Melbourne- Great young list and unless and as long as they cope without Roos shoukd be improvers. Played some really good games this year and most clubs on the way up are inconsistent initially.
8. Essendon- Not really sound logic but I believe they'll exceed expectations.
9. Gold Coast- Sooner or later they'll have a better year and some luck with injuries. Loads of talent still. I hope they make the 8
10 St Kilda- I sèem to underrate them constantly so could be wrong again.
11. Richmond- Another side that underperformed and were inconsistent in my opinion, and you can read this either way for next year.
12 Geelong- Think this year might be a false dawn and they will lose more older players with class like Bartel and not sure if the replacements are better.
13. Fremantle- will have to work back from a shocker over time I think.
14. Carlton- Hard to read definitively better than this year dont know how much.
15. North Melbourne- Weak finish and list might take a while to renew their list.
16. Collingwood- Not much to say except a new president would be better for the game and should be the priority over a new coach in my view.
17. Brisbane- Hope they do better
18- Port Adelaide- Deserve the spoon. The only club still playing spiteful footy and need a coach ready to take them into the 20th century in my view.

We are going to bomb out because hawthorn did it in 2009.

Just like we were missing the finals in 2016 because we were just another port adelaide
I think the Western Bulldogs will miss finals because other teams will do do their homework on them and work them out.

I would be disappointed if Richmond finished in the bottom 4 like most on here are saying. I thought they would too before the trade period, but now with the added midfield depth I think that we can finish at least in the 10-11 bracket if not the top 8 next year and launch into the top 8 again in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be disappointed if Richmond finished in the bottom 4 like most on here are saying. I thought they would too before the trade period, but now with the added midfield depth I think that we can finish at least in the 10-11 bracket if not the top 8 next year and launch into the top 8 again in 2018.
Not just on here - most betting agencies have you bottom 4.

I just don't see where your goals come from. Apart from Jack there is no one else. Same as Rance in the back line. I would be amazed if you got anywhere near the top 8.

01. GWS
02. Sydney
03. Adelaide
04. Western Bulldogs
----
05. West Coast
06. St. Kilda
07. Melbourne
08. Hawthorn
--------
09. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Port Adelaide
12. Gold Coast
13. Essendon
14. Collingwood
15. North Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. Brisbane
18. Richmond

So Crows, Dons, Port and Tigers out of the league. :eek:
i took a bit of license with the thread question. but thanks for the reminder, i should have had the bombers as one of the improvers, with the WADA 10 and the number 1 draft pick coming in they will move up the ladder substantially IMO.

i did have port listed though but i had them as power (a slider). i didn't mention the eagles either.:oops:

Not just on here - most betting agencies have you bottom 4.

I just don't see where your goals come from. Apart from Jack there is no one else. Same as Rance in the back line. I would be amazed if you got anywhere near the top 8.
Yeah, and that is understandable that many think this, but it would still be disappointing after being there only 5 or 6 years ago without doing much of note in the meantime.

Our forward line is a huge issue, but I am of the opinion that our midfield was a major source of our scoring issues without taking into account specific individuals. We just didn't have enough ball winners. Caddy and Prestia are handy additions, but I don't think they'll fix our issues enough to the extent that we become a top 8 side (we did lose Deledio after all although he played more of a forward role).

But, I do feel like we could maybe finish in the 10-12 range because on paper we have a better midfield now that could hopefully increase our forward 50 entries and leak less defensive 50 entries to last year. Caddy is a proven goal-kicking mid (kicked 21 this season), so if he could do that here then it would help our scoreboard issues.

If we do then another off-season of development in our youth + another bout of recruiting could hopefully see us back in the 8 in 2018.

In terms of forward personnel alone, our KPF stocks are quite bare, so if any of Riewoldt or Griffiths go down then we are probably done for.

Yeah, and that is understandable that many think this, but it would still be disappointing after being there only 5 or 6 years ago without doing much of note in the meantime.

Our forward line is a huge issue, but I am of the opinion that our midfield was a major source of our scoring issues without taking into account specific individuals. We just didn't have enough ball winners. Caddy and Prestia are handy additions, but I don't think they'll fix our issues enough to the extent that we become a top 8 side (we did lose Deledio after all although he played more of a forward role).

But, I do feel like we could maybe finish in the 10-12 range because on paper we have a better midfield now that could hopefully increase our forward 50 entries and leak less defensive 50 entries to last year. Caddy is a proven goal-kicking mid (kicked 21 this season), so if he could do that here then it would help our scoreboard issues.

If we do then another off-season of development in our youth + another bout of recruiting could hopefully see us back in the 8 in 2018.

In terms of forward personnel alone, our KPF stocks are quite bare, so if any of Riewoldt or Griffiths go down then we are probably done for.
The issue for you guys is teams below you like Essendon, Fremantle and Gold Coast will be improving by quite a bit next year. I can see you possibly overtaking a team like North Melbourne but I believe you'll finish in the 12 - 16 range.

It's a guess but my thoughts:-
1. Bulldogs-the team is young and players will benefit physically from the off season. Other clubs will be after them though.
2. Crows- Ordinary end to the season but they are awesome when on song and Pike sèems like a winner to me.
3. GWS coukdn't leave us out and dont pretend to be objective. Wont be the scope for physical development this off season, but the guys will be harder and the club as a whole more experienced.
4.Swans- I think barring disastrous injuries we'll be on top of them wherever the clubs finish but with young talent and a system that deserves respect, not by much.
5. West Coast- with their end of season form you'd have to say they underformed earlier in the season and could be higher or lower depending how you read that.
6. Hawthorn- Hard to rate but unlikely to collapse I would think. Next year might be telling as to where they'll be for the next 5 though.
7. Melbourne- Great young list and unless and as long as they cope without Roos shoukd be improvers. Played some really good games this year and most clubs on the way up are inconsistent initially.
8. Essendon- Not really sound logic but I believe they'll exceed expectations.
9. Gold Coast- Sooner or later they'll have a better year and some luck with injuries. Loads of talent still. I hope they make the 8
10 St Kilda- I sèem to underrate them constantly so could be wrong again.
11. Richmond- Another side that underperformed and were inconsistent in my opinion, and you can read this either way for next year.
12 Geelong- Think this year might be a false dawn and they will lose more older players with class like Bartel and not sure if the replacements are better.
13. Fremantle- will have to work back from a shocker over time I think.
14. Carlton- Hard to read definitively better than this year dont know how much.
15. North Melbourne- Weak finish and list might take a while to renew their list.
16. Collingwood- Not much to say except a new president would be better for the game and should be the priority over a new coach in my view.
17. Brisbane- Hope they do better
18- Port Adelaide- Deserve the spoon. The only club still playing spiteful footy and need a coach ready to take them into the 20th century in my view.

From a 2017 draft perspective this bottom 3 would be an enormous windfall for Brisbane.

Im no Richmond fan, but I have to say I agree. Thought the tiges had a very good trade period. Now have a midfield that betters most teams. The massive reliance on Rance continues to be an issue tho...

The issue for you guys is teams below you like Essendon, Fremantle and Gold Coast will be improving by quite a bit next year. I can see you possibly overtaking a team like North Melbourne but I believe you'll finish in the 12 - 16 range.
I may be quite optimistic in saying this but I think that a combination of a change in gameplan (we have somewhat of a fresh coaching panel now) and the changes to the playing group in this offseason from the trade/DFA/draft period could also end up in us being a considerably improved side and get us to that 10-12 range (maybe even in the top 8) to hopefully set us up for a good finish in 2018.

At the moment, I feel that the changes in the playing group up until the end of trade period may not be enough as our KPP stocks really need to be addressed (either Rance or Riewoldt go down and we are probably in the bottom 4 if not the bottom 2) but I hope that this can be addressed by the end of the DFA/Draft period as well as some other deficiencies.

Im no Richmond fan, but I have to say I agree. Thought the tiges had a very good trade period. Now have a midfield that betters most teams. The massive reliance on Rance continues to be an issue tho...
Yeah I think so too. In fact, we will probably be relying a lot on Rance and Riewoldt next season. Our KPP depth is quite thin at the moment heading into next year, so I just don't think we can lose either of them or we are probably gone.

2017 AFL Prediction

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Bulldogs
4. Adelaide
5. North Melb
6. Hawthorn
7. Geelong
8. St Kilda
——————————
9. WCEagles
10. Melbourne