List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

True in principle, but I know which player id be comfortably leaning towards for a prosperous career right now. Add the importance of the structure that player brings.
As I said it's in favour of lever succeeding. My issue was with people putting up hypotheticals of Adelaide failing with the pick while guaranteeing our success with lever.

We've paid750-800k and two first rounders for him. This is treloar levels of trading.

So you are ignoring that we took two kids inside 7 in one year and then Lever who is better than who we would get at 10. We didn't just give away picks for nothing we got one of the most exciting if not the most exciting young defender in the game.

I agree with the ideals of them playing well in those positions but forwards aren't important enough in modern footy to take up your whole salary cap between them.

I don't know mate but hypothetically we could trade Tyson and next year's second to someone for their first next year. Who knows but no one saw the pick upgrades to 4+7 for Oliver and Weid so it's not impossible
The pick upgrade was a bit different to upgrading a mid who most of us don't rate to a first rounder. It's not easy to get into the first round without giving up quality.

We'd be paying under 2mill for the two. We've just given up 800kish for lever, who plays his best as a 3rd tall interceptor.

More pressure on Weideman to come good now, IMO. I don't think the 2015/2016 first rounds were really that strong but if he doesn't come good not having drafted more quality midfielders (other than Oliver) between 2015-2018 (assuming we don't nail our second rounders) or more mobile/versatile players like Curnow/Burton will really hurt us. But with McDonald and Hogan it's not like there's any really rush with Weid. Like I said I think we'll trade back into the first round for next year.

As I said it's in favour of lever succeeding. My issue was with people putting up hypotheticals of Adelaide failing with the pick while guaranteeing our success with lever.

We've paid750-800k and two first rounders for him. This is treloar levels of trading.
Im not saying Adelaide will pick duds. Im saying they have taken on the inherent risk. Any club would prefer a known quantity. Hence Adelaide being shitty with Lever leaving.

To replicate Lever they have to get the pick/s right and then put in 3 solid years of development.

The aspect of Lever's pay could cause problems though.

I wouldn't think so, especially if he declares out next year.
Lynchs 2016 got him AA. People rate lever based on him making the squad

If both hogan and lynch want out, lynch will go for more (not to mention lynch will have 10 teams to negotiate with. Hogan will have 2)

Im not saying Adelaide will pick duds. Im saying they have taken on the inherent risk. Any club would prefer a known quantity. Hence Adelaide being shitty with Lever leaving.

To replicate Lever they have to get the pick/s right and then put in 3 solid years of development.

The aspect of Lever's pay could cause problems though.
As I said both are risks, a draft pick more so, but neither is far from certain to be a success.

Not really. 7 + 7 for second rounder and Treloar is not 10 + 13-14 for second rounder and Lever

The pick upgrade was a bit different to upgrading a mid who most of us don't rate to a first rounder. It's not easy to get into the first round without giving up quality.

We'd be paying under 2mill for the two. We've just given up 800kish for lever, who plays his best as a 3rd tall interceptor.

Mate Lynch will get a Dusty size deal to come home something I don't want us to touch unless we lose Hogan. I think Lynch is a better player but Richmond and the Bulldogs won flags with the shittest forward lines ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate Lynch will get a Dusty size deal to come home something I don't want us to touch unless we lose Hogan. I think Lynch is a better player but Richmond and the Bulldogs won flags with the shittest forward lines ever
I'd be surprised if he did. Since Gold Coast can offer him more than any Melbourne club
His manager said it'll depend on if Gold Coast go up the ladder

Richmonds forward line wasn't shit. It just wasn't a usual forward line. They required forward pressure over stars.

I'd be surprised if he did. Since Gold Coast can offer him more than any Melbourne club

Richmonds forward line wasn't shit. It just wasn't a usual forward line. They required forward pressure over stars.

Mate Castagna Butler Rioli Caddy Townsend and Riewoldt is a terrible forward line for skill. It functioned beautifully though and is the complete opposite of having Lynch Petracca and Hogan all not pressuring

In the context of this conversation in regard to players and trade value, it was one of the most underwhelming forward lines ive seen.

Mate Castagna Butler Rioli Caddy Townsend and Riewoldt is a terrible forward line for skill. It functioned beautifully though and is the complete opposite of having Lynch Petracca and Hogan all not pressuring
Very harsh on Trac

As I said it wasn't built on stars, it was built on pressure, although caddy rioli and Townsend actually have reasonable skills and have been rated as such in their draft years and previous years
Isn't lynch considered good for a kpp for pressure? Petracca applies pressure.

In the context of this conversation in regard to players and trade value, it was one of the most underwhelming forward lines ive seen.
It was mainly a young side, with one very very very good forward

I doubt Richmond will run the exact same game plan next year, if we start basing trades off what Richmond did this year, we are a year behind.

As I said it wasn't built on stars, it was built on pressure, although caddy rioli and Townsend actually have reasonable skills and have been rated as such in their draft years and previous years
Isn't lynch considered good for a kpp for pressure? Petracca applies pressure.

Anyway we drifted off topic here lol. Melbourne set out to get someone and we got him. So what if we paid a little overs the club has identified Lever brings us closer to finals and hopefully a flag and I have no reason to doubt them yet.

Anyway we drifted off topic here lol. Melbourne set out to get someone and we got him. So what if we paid a little overs the club has identified Lever brings us closer to finals and hopefully a flag and I have no reason to doubt them yet.
I'm just a bit more skeptical than you then
If we make top 4 next year like people here are suggesting and lever is a key to it, I'm happy to eat my words
We haven't lived up to expectation yet, so I'm not going to chalk this up as a win currently.

Plenty of clubs have done this in the past and it hasn't been the guarantee they thought

And now it sounds like we may struggle to get what we want for watts

I'm just a bit more skeptical than you then
If we make top 4 next year like people here are suggesting and lever is a key to it, I'm happy to eat my words
We haven't lived up to expectation yet, so I'm not going to chalk this up as a win currently.

Plenty of clubs have done this in the past and it hasn't been the guarantee they thought

And now it sounds like we may struggle to get what we want for watts

Mate this could blow up in our face spectacularly if we finish bottom 6 and Lever does his hamy again. But good clubs aggressively push for what they want/need and we got it done. If Lever dominates next year and is named AA suddenly a 22 year old AA defender looks pretty good at that price. Plus we may well snag the next Merrett at 27 and then all of a sudden it's the trade and draft period that won us a flag.

Mate this could blow up in our face spectacularly if we finish bottom 6 and Lever does his hamy again. But good clubs aggressively push for what they want/need and we got it done. If Lever dominates next year and is named AA suddenly a 22 year old AA defender looks pretty good at that price. Plus we may well snag the next Merrett at 27 and then all of a sudden it's the trade and draft period that won us a flag.
As I said I'm happy to eat my words if it succeeds. Everyone now seems happy to base it on the chance we finally do something

What clubs are you referring to that aggressively push? Apart from the dogs I'm struggling to think of a premier that's paid overs to get a player that resulted in a flag. Don't think hawks, swans or cats did? I'm probably wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back