2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do we need to sacrifice to get Sophie Monk in?

Arent you the guy with the stunning missus? Why would you want an old "never was" instead of your current squeeze? :eek:

Mind you, i am aware of the saying "show me smoking hot woman and i'll show you a boyfriend who's sick of her shit" haha :p

I'm not a big fan of Masto but this is revisionist history.
In 2013 he was widely considered to be our best performing midfielder, evidenced by the fact that he finished 3rd in this board's votes for player of the year (beaten by Kennedy and Mackenzie, who played more games than Masten). Vote count here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bigfooty-wce-player-of-the-year-2013-the-countdown-now-into-the-top-3.1035499/

He was also a popular pick for the best and fairest on this board too: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-fairest-predictions.1031136/

Granted, that was his only great season, but his best is actually pretty bloody good.

2013 is the year we came 13th, it wasn't a great year in the history of the club.

He was OK, in a year of shit underperforming players.

Don't think his best is that great and I can't see him reaching that again. He averaged 26 disposals and kicked 9 goals for the year.. how is that "pretty bloody good" ?

From listening to Rawlings it sounded like they might try and move into the top ten. Granted, it didn't sound like they would try particularly hard but it'd be great if we somehow did manage to get back into the ten.
Can't see how we would manage that. None of our players have that inbetween value that we could trade for a pick upgrade into the top 10.

Eg our first round pick and Schofield, Masten, EMac, etc, wouldn't get us into the top 10.

Maybe our first round and Vardy.. but I think that's overs

2013 is the year we came 13th, it wasn't a great year in the history of the club.

Don't think his best is that great and I can't see him reaching that again. He averaged 26 disposals and kicked 9 goals for the year.. how is that "pretty bloody good" ?
With all due respect to mastos past we are in the now and he needs to perform now, no room for bruise free footy not with the midfield we have
Seriously whoever gave him those extra years contract should be on notice

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see how we would manage that. None of our players have that inbetween value that we could trade for a pick upgrade into the top 10.

Eg our first round pick and Schofield, Masten, EMac, etc, wouldn't get us into the top 10.

Maybe our first round and Vardy.. but I think that's overs
Maybe their thinking 1st + Lycett?

Arent you the guy with the stunning missus? Why would you want an old "never was" instead of your current squeeze? :eek:

Mind you, i am aware of the saying "show me smoking hot woman and i'll show you a boyfriend who's sick of her shit" haha :p
Eaglespur is attracted to everyone and everything that moves.

My question was completely in jest.. I was 5 when she was 18 sooo.

Thank you though sir my girl goes alright :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people thoughts on

Trade pick 13 (1212 points), pick 48 (302) & *next year first rounder (1,329) for St Kilda 7 & 8 (3,195)

*Based on finishing 8th

Out: 2,843 In: 3,195 (taking into account next year strong draft)

Leave us with 7,8 & 30 - and allows us to get some quality in now to challenge 18-20 (while we have Nic Nat, JK)

Trade pick 13 (1212 points), pick 48 (302) & *next year first rounder (1,329) for St Kilda 7 & 8 (3,195)

*Based on finishing 8th

Leave us with 7,8 & 30 - and allows us to get some quality in now to challenge 18-20 (while we have Nic Nat, JK)

There is no way St Kilda would want that deal. Two top 10 picks for a worse pick, speculative pick and an uncertain next year pick.

Why are we obsessed with moving into the top 10 in the draft, especially with a deal that has no predictable benefit to another club?

Just because we had a shit year doesn't mean he did.

You don't come third in the votes and only have an "ok" year, even if your team wins the spoon. In any event, he came 4th in the same vote the year before when we finished 5th on the ladder.

Quoting two stats in isolation doesn't prove your point. If those stats prove that he was only ever "OK", then I suppose Luke Shuey has only been "OK" for the last two seasons.

Even you seemed to think that Masto was good over that stretch:
Why the **** isn't masten starting midfield at every bounce?!?
Crazy how much improvement Gaff and Masten have made in the last year or two. Sheppard too.

*Based on finishing 8th

Why would St Kilda even think about this? What's in it for them? They aren't that dumb.

You don't get to play 150-200 matches without having some decent games during the stretch. Masten was good (key word being 'was'), sure he's trash now and depth at best and if a club makes an offer for him I'd pay for his Uber to the airport but that doesn't change the fact he's been a more than decent servant especially in 2013.

Could trade Schofield and pick 30 - to Geelong for pick 20.

Trade pick 13 & next year 3rd rounder to St Kilda for pick 8.

Hitting the draft with pick 8 & 20 - would be a good result

*Based on finishing 8th

It was a terrible trade a week ago, it's even worse now.

Adelaide might snare my man Hunter Clarke now :(
I do not think so. With the 2017 development of the Crouch brothers, Adelaide are reasonably strong in the midfield along with Sloan and other rotating.

Many supposed experts see the top draft talent as follows:-
  • 4 clear at the top LDU, Raynor, Cerra and Dow (forget order)
  • 5 talls that could go 1st round being Hayes, Naughton, Brander, Balta and Callum-Jones
  • 1 Fogarty is a separate category and I would not be surprised if he slides to the Crows (word from Melbourne is that he might be a flight risk)
  • 3 outside mids/Fwds - Stephenson, Higgins, O'Brien
  • 2 Academy kids in Crossley (Suns) and Ballenden (Lions)
  • 1 F/S in Naish
  • 4 midfielders and that would meet our requirements - Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke
Thinking that Adelaide may want to go local boy meaning Fogarty if still there or Callum-Jones (might be a reach but no go home)
What will the Lions do at 12? Not far off market value for Ballenden and depends what they have to give for Cameron
I expect Saints to go for 1 mid with pace (Stephenson or Brayshaw) and may go 1 tall
Pies should go a tall but might go for an elite ball user

With Giants holding Pick 11, they may be tempted with Brander as he was in their academy prior to zone change and they might want to get him as backup for CHF/CHB in 2 to 3 years when more elite talent goes to Mexico.

So that is 20 players and I expect one of these to be our pick. Hopefully not a tall as we do not need them yet. My desire would be one of Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke or Higgins.

Last edited:

*Based on finishing 8th

The Suns winning the flag next year is more likely than Saints agreeing to that awful trade.

Maybe their thinking 1st + Lycett?

Apparently top 5 in this draft are strong, then it drops with the next 10 picks about equal. So unless we can upgrade into the top 5, there's no point.

Lycett is only likely to agree to a move to SA, and neither Adelaide nor Port need him. Not sure we have anyone else with enough value to trade into the top 5 now that Gaff is off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back