List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you send Richo an email with the suggestion...courtesy of the BF board and Acres fan club?
;)

To me it looks like the coaches have decided this year that we are past the 'get in there and show us what you've got kid' team development stage.

Basically the 'who can do what?' stage is done.

Now we're in the 'get really good at YOUR job' phase.

Its not perfect but i don't think it's a terrible strategy. We can't afford to constantly be chopping and changing guys in different roles for years, the team can't gel.

Like the sort of incredible continuity we had under ross the boss and of course the hawks/swans have had.

Those top teams were so well drilled in who does what, you could blindfold the players and they'd still know what their teammates were doing.

You can't get that incredible team cohesion if you're constantly trying guys in different spots year after year.

If blake has had his papers stamped currently as a winger, he'll have to suck it up and wait for ad hoc opportunities to show his stuff when injuries hit.
And when he does get a shot at his 'preferred' spot- he can't just be 'good'.
He's gotta do what billings did when he got a chance in his 'preferred' spot and be spit-your beer-out-bloody-fantastic!

Him and Webster out killed us.

They should have played Rice. Savage is a poor footballer.

I agree we missed Webster but Sav is okay, he's the safe option though.

He's not a centre square mid.
The point is all our centre square mids (bar steven) arent line breakers or quick.

We're so desperate for a bit of dash in there gresh has had lots of chances in the guts before he's ready.
I'm aware than Newnes doesn't play in the centre square, but those who do play in the guts are not generally described as "outside runners". That's what those who play on the wings are generally referred to as, and since Newnes plays pretty much exclusively on the wing (and does a pretty darn good job of it), I asked the question.

I think you're also very much underselling Seb's speed these days and ability to break the lines. He's averaging 400m-gained this year, which is a very good amount for someone who's playing exclusively in the middle. To put that into perspective, Clayton Oliver (who's killing it) averages approx 160m-gained per game. 2.5 times less than Seb.

I'm not sure where this notion that you desperately need mountains of speed on the inside is coming from though. It's not like every team bar us has 2 or 3 Jack Steven types in there bursting clear from the stoppages!

WB won the flag last year with really only Dahlhaus who fits that description (and this year they're no different are they?), Hawthorn didn't really have anyone who fits that description except for Burgoyne (when he wasn't playing in defence) and Adelaide are top of the ladder and most of their inside midfield brigade are on the one-paced side.

I get that it's certainly preferable, but if you had one Jack Steven on the inside and also a Seb Ross, plus also plenty of run and speed on the wings, then I reckon you'd be fine, as long as those you do have on the inside apart from a Steven and Seb aren't glacier slow.

Same case as newnes, not centre square.

The issue we are trying to fix by getting a dusty/kelly/whitfield is balancing out the centre square rotations mix.
Armo ross dunstan steele steven

Pick the odd one out?
Unless I'm very greatly mistaken, Whitfield is no more inside than Newnes though. The most clearances he's had in a season is 36 (Newnes' best being 45). If we're getting Lachie, it's to play on the wing, surely.

It's an honest question.

You said that Steven "IS the only real outside runner we have", but I would have thought Newnes was nothing if not an "outside runner"!
ARR, I love your posts and I very rarely post. But in imho Newnes is best for our side as wing/ Joey's role. His guts in the backline against Sydney was awe inspiring. He is not our outside answer for run. Hence fellow posters asking for the same as our prerequisites. We need em. And we need em bad.

P.s And quick if we want to achieve our club stated objectives.

Clearances aren't the issue, it's the way we use it out of the clearance (and all around the ground) that kills us. Ideally we'd love that Kelly/Martin type that can run away from a stoppage and use the ball well by foot. If that can't happen then someone like Whitfield that our mids can dish out to into space would also be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't suck. We've won the clearances for each of the last 5 weeks, including against the midfield's of GWS, Sydney and WB and there is vast improvement possible for the likes of Steele, Acres and Gresham in this area going forward and Koby could easily enough improve further in this area with more experience and exposure there. Then there's the unknown of Armo.

I'd be fine with us landing Rocky as long as we got a Kelly/Whitfield to compliment him, but I'd also be OK with us prioritising other things, like speed/run and carry and skill.
I'm in the exact same boat, I'm saying id like rocky too.

You're an individual. The St Kilda Football Club is 1/18th of a very high-priced product that the AFL sold to a couple of TV networks. There are huge contractual and financial repercussions for the AFL if the composition of that product was to change. So none of the clubs can go out of business, which means the AFL must bail out the poor clubs on a yearly basis. That effectively means they micro-manage club finances from headquarters; the clubs don't run themselves independently, but as divisions of the larger organisation.

And related to that, the AFL needs a good product, a competitive product. So it's in their interest to keep all the clubs competitive, not strong necessarily but competitive.

So we'll always be funded. We're not an independent business, we're an arm of the AFL, just like the other clubs.

No offence bergholt, but your comment above really shits me and is not true at all. It is only a mater of time before the AFL actively start trying again to ratify (better known as reduce) the number of clubs in Victoria. Remember, it was less than 10 years ago that they tried to entice North Melbourne to go to Gold Coast. Please don't kid yourself that they will keep propping us up. The sooner St Kilda start playing 2 games per year in Auckland (my preference is 3 plus a pre-season game) the better. First and foremost, we need to get rid of 3 low drawing home games that cost us money and get them played in NZ which will make us money. Then as soon as possible pay off our $10million debt. Only then will I feel comfortable that St Kilda are here to stay. The AFL will one day (in our lifetime) be as follows......

Victorian teams 9
Western Australian teams 3
South Australian teams 3
New South Wales teams 2
Queensland teams 2
Tasmanian teams 1

I don't understand the notion that even though acres could be one of our best midfielders and offers something different along with Steven when our other midfielders don't that he is not playing in the centre square because our other midfielders can't play anywhere else, it is just stupid and hurting the team and he's development, and the other thing is we're willing to throw millions at another player and struggle to resign our up and coming talent in the future aka Sydney, to go after what acres will be able to give us if he was played in the centre it's just stupid, our other midfielders need to learn to play another role or don't play afl

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah he's purely wing the last couple of years but people see him as a small back still. He does everything so cleanly and to a high standard but still doesn't get noticed. Probably close to our most important player to me. We looked shit once he got taken out.

I can't like this enough. Easily our most important player. So underrated.

No offence bergholt, but your comment above really shits me and is not true at all. It is only a mater of time before the AFL actively start trying again to ratify (better known as reduce) the number of clubs in Victoria. Remember, it was less than 10 years ago that they tried to entice North Melbourne to go to Gold Coast. Please don't kid yourself that they will keep propping us up. The sooner St Kilda start playing 2 games per year in Auckland (my preference is 3 plus a pre-season game) the better. First and foremost, we need to get rid of 3 low drawing home games that cost us money and get them played in NZ which will make us money. Then as soon as possible pay off our $10million debt. Only then will I feel comfortable that St Kilda are here to stay. The AFL will one day (in our lifetime) be as follows......

Victorian teams 9
Western Australian teams 3
South Australian teams 3
New South Wales teams 2
Queensland teams 2
Tasmanian teams 1

It actually wont and hopefully we never go back to NZ. Like Bergholt aid all clubs will be propped up because they spend less doing that than losing a club. There just isn't enough depth of players to have 20 clubs and after the pain when GC and GWS came in I doubt many if any clubs would vote for it. Remember you said we would have 10 thousand members in NZ. We may have ten so you aren't that close.

I don't understand the notion that even though acres could be one of our best midfielders and offers something different along with Steven when our other midfielders don't that he is not playing in the centre square because our other midfielders can't play anywhere else, it is just stupid and hurting the team and he's development, and the other thing is we're willing to throw millions at another player and struggle to resign our up and coming talent in the future aka Sydney, to go after what acres will be able to give us if he was played in the centre it's just stupid, our other midfielders need to learn to play another role or don't play afl

It isn't that stupid at all. If the replacement for Acres on the wing isn't as good as him and Acres isn't any better than the player he replaces in the middle then we actually lose. And you cant just teach players to play another role otherwise they would be doing it. Do you think you are the only one with that idea. Obviously we are trying to teach others. Unfortunately we recruited a few who are good in the middle but ordinary elsewhere. Acres could make a great wingman by the way.

It isn't that stupid at all. If the replacement for Acres on the wing isn't as good as him and Acres isn't any better than the player he replaces in the middle then we actually lose. And you cant just teach players to play another role otherwise they would be doing it. Do you think you are the only one with that idea. Obviously we are trying to teach others. Unfortunately we recruited a few who are good in the middle but ordinary elsewhere. Acres could make a great wingman by the way.

Acres could make a great wingman but we are desperate for something different in the middle and he offers that, koby steel Dustan and Seb are to much of the same and we had wing man ready to go we have roo, Mackenzie, Sinclair, newns, Gresham, Gilbert, freeman, Weller,

When u watch acres it's like watching a young Dangerfield, penalbury, and Fyfe there are players that you watch from a young age and you can just tell he has something and can do things that are ganna make him great and could be a very special player not one that comes around very often, and for us to get that from him we need to be played him in the centre

Just please richo give acres a couple games in the centre if he doesn't star or show that he can star put him bk on the wing and let him develop more, put just give a go it won't hurt and then u will find out what we have he will either match what we currently have in there or he will start and then the comp will go holy shit, look at this bloke from the saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back