List Mgmt. 2017 Trade Free Agency and List Management Watch Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we look to offload a few VFL boys like miles etc and try to get into second round for points and then when the Naish bid comes we only lose later picks while still looking to grab a young ruckman and CHF with 15 & 17?

We have young mids with graham/Prestia/Caddy ready to take over long term from Cotch/Dusty/Grigg and with Naish/Menadue on the sides ready to add speed on the wings when needed.

Not to mention Rioli seems like he will eventually play some midfield minutes like Cyril

Clearly he doesn't respond to tough love. Pushing him doesn't work but our group may be able to pull him along. touchy feely shit but some people just tick a bit differently.

I heard an interview with Balme about what they have changed in terms of 'culture' for a lack of a better term and he said trying to install confidence and leadership basically in every player. Positive attitudes etc even when things don't go to plan. Maybe Watts will suit this type of environment ? Who knows. But giving up pick 25 - 40 for him is probably worth it the risk. This is the type of thing Hawthorn did and it worked well.

I heard an interview with Balme about what they have changed in terms of 'culture' for a lack of a better term and he said trying to install confidence and leadership basically in every player. Positive attitudes etc even when things don't go to plan. Maybe Watts will suit this type of environment ? Who knows. But giving up pick 25 - 40 for him is probably worth it the risk. This is the type of thing Hawthorn did and it worked well.
Jack Watts is a Melbourne player, why would we take a Megaspud off Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy for us to give 2018 second rounder assuming we use equivalent second/third rounders for Naish in 2017 for Watts.

I think our two most important KPF in our forward line are Townsend and Jack Reiwoldt among the mosquito fleet whether its Butler/Rioli/Castagna or Graham and Lambert down there with Edwards or Caddy and Dusty chipping in. This forward line cannot really be disrupted materially if its the secret to our success. Which is why getting a Lynch/Patton and/or Wright could be problematic if occupying lengthy periods up forward reshaping our structure and game style.

I think we need to improve our aerial game and link game without compromising our pressure and mobility. I think Watts could be the best fit for the Tigers a bit like Conca finding a role in the backline. Potentially Watts can chip in to ruck, play a wing, provide a marking outlet apart from Nankervis as well as being a poor mans Richo drifting up forward from a roaming wing type role.

Watts may not get a game but I think any attitude/motivation issues may be able to be corrected with Cotchin's captaincy, the leadership group as well as the players buying into pressure team footy. It would be hard for Watts not to have a crack when the likes of Townsend and Cotch go so hard at it at times and Leppa should be able to help him out like he has with other KPP players. I would also add Hansen as a backup role to give us another dimension even if it may be only back up at value. He can provide competition for Watts as well as Griffiths and gives us a few options if we get a few injuries.

I would actually bolster our midfield with our 2 first rounders as well as Naish with later picks, even improve the picks so we get some real quality that won't despair as in time they will be confident they will break into the team as our senior players decline with age. I believe some of our bigger weaknesses are in the midfield at the moment. I actually think this group can play even better with further development without compromising our style and competitive advantages we possess versus the opposition!

For example we could pinch hit Watts at full forward or CHF but equally we could play him up the ground and let our revolutionary forward continue on undisrupted!

Last edited:
dimma says we would still like another tall

jake niall and a few others saying lennon/lloyd/miles/conca all likely to be elsewhere next year if so there goes all the depth

Jack Watts says he doesn’t want to leave Melbourne and was surprised by trade talk
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/me...k/news-story/3dfa0a8844001de24052069b9f797d26

I think Melbourne want to offload Watts partly because they couldn't get him to do what they wanted and partly due to structural fit as they become too top heavy with him and the other players they have like Hogan, and other key position players coming through plus it looks like their determined to add Lever. Remember they have Gawn who is a gun so the effect of Watts at Melbourne arguably would be less structurally compared to a structure like Richmond where extra aerial ability could enhance their style, effectiveness and robustness . For example arguably Richmond would run Melbourne's current set-up with Watts off their feet particularly at ground level with the added pressure

Last edited:
Mr Magic you happy with all our recruiting now that we won number 11 or still on the giants

Well I am happy with Jack Graham progress and although he missed the Norm Smith and I missed 3K I am confident he will be a better player than Prestia as I suggested in the pre-season

I placed Graham in our top 5 for Richmond in the Grand Final along with Townsend who was fantastic again and ever reliable in his forward role. I am just glad the footy department went along with it and where prepared to go against convention!!!! I am also happy some are prepared to listen because I noted Townsend thought he might be able to make a go with it in the forward line alone with the coaches support. So it sounds like the communication lines are supportive, open and in align with everybody's wellbeing!!

I am glad Dimma has admitted he needed to change and the footy department has acknowledged a lot of developments to improve the players and team which I think have been very positive. It sounds like Caracella has been a terrific addition, Dimmas speech on the dias was great and not cryptic and Cotchin's leadership as well as Jack has come on in leaps and bounds as has the endeavour of the players even from the commencement of the season were they seemed more together than in the posted as I noted then and there. So I think RFC is in a good place at the moment and hopefully they can make the astute decisions with clarity necessary to improve our performance even further going forward particularly since they have all the info and are at the coalface of what is going on in and around the club!

Last edited:
Well I am happy with Jack Graham progress and although he missed the Norm Smith and I missed 3K I am confident he will be a better player than Prestia as I suggested in the pre-season

I placed Graham in our top 5 for Richmond in the Grand Final along with Townsend who was fantastic again and ever reliable in his forward role. I am just glad the footy department went along with it and where prepared to go against convention!!!! I am also happy some are prepared to listen because I noted Townsend thought he might be able to make a go with it in the forward line alone with the coaches support. So it sounds like the communication lines are supportive, open and in align with everybody's wellbeing!!

I am glad Dimma has admitted he needed to change and the footy department has acknowledged a lot of developments to improve the players and team which I think have been very positive. It sounds like Caracella has been a terrific addition, Dimmas speech on the dias was great and not cryptic and Cotchin's leadership as well as Jack has come on in leaps and bounds as has the endeavour of the players even from the commencement of the season were they seemed more together than in the posted as I noted then and there. So I think RFC is in a good place at the moment and hopefully they can make the astute decisions with clarity necessary to improve our performance even further going forward particularly since they have all the info and are at the coalface of what is going on in and around the club!
Shame you turncoated for GWS before all this happened then, hey?

Shame you turncoated for GWS before all this happened then, hey?

Did I?

I was talking to a brunette on Friday night saying she needed to support the Tigers on Saturday since her beloved Swans where out for the season but she simply protested in angst she was loathed to get behind Tigerland even though we sang the Tigerland song beforehand to inspire her footy groupie nature!!

I must say a Tiger premiership was the result I wanted when I was watching that clock tick down when we were in front!!!

I even cheered the boys on at the front of a crowd numerous times to help will them over the line in spirit!

Last edited:
Dont think Watts would be the type of player that would suit our style of play, I know most will get all high and mighty about his issue's but Stringer would fit the RFC game plan perfectly.

Get him super fit and he would be another big bodied mid that can rotate with Caddy,Martin,Cotchin etc
He is only 23 and worth the #17 imo - People do mature

dimma says we would still like another tall

jake niall and a few others saying lennon/lloyd/miles/conca all likely to be elsewhere next year if so there goes all the depth
Depends what we get for them.
If Conca went West would try and get Balic maybe.
Not sure on others but we don't have to try and get picks for all those players we can swap player for player and hope it's another Collins Griff situation.

Plus 2 first round picks and Nash will be coming in. As we have seen kids are different these days. They can make a difference in their 1st year.

Conca for Balic
Keep one of Miles or Llyod
Not fussed about Lenon
Pick 15 Best KPF
Pick 17 Best Mid
Naish
We still have
C.Ellis
Menadue
Markov (Would like to see him as Mid)
Bolton
Garth